Protecting Society or the Death of Free Speech?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Acts of hate: full list of 'deportation' acts

The Home Office today published a list of "unacceptable behaviours" which will lead to the deportation or exclusion of any foreign national who commits them from the UK.

According to the Home Secretary the list is indicative rather than exhaustive and covers any non-UK citizen whether in the UK or abroad.

Terrorist violence

Cannot foment, justify, glorify terrorist violence in furtherance of particular beliefs

Terrorist acts

Cannot seek to provoke others to terrorist acts

Criminal acts

Cannot foment other serious criminal activity or seek to provoke others to serious criminal acts

Inter-community violence

Cannot foster hatred which might lead to inter-community violence in the UK.

Method

Individuals who do the above by any means or medium are caught by the legislation, including:

- writing, producing, publishing or distributing material;

- public speaking including preaching

- running a website

- using a position of responsibility such as teacher, community or youth leader

Interesting how it only applies to non-citizens. This may not have prevented the London bombings.

This only applies to non-citizens!?!?! So citizens don't behave in a way that leads to inter-community violence?!?

Ya know, I didn't think Blair was such a Bush wanna-be. Having troops in Iraq wasn't enoughto make him so...he'd have to have a similar disdain for fundamental human rights and fredoms. It distresses me that he is finally jumping on the bandwagon.:(

This legislation appears to go further than anything in the US in terms of restricting freedom of speech. Not that I am a fan of the Patriot Act either.

Hate speech is generally very restricted in Europe. And while the U.S. hasn't deported people for committing hate speech here, per se, there have been many instances of people coming from "terrorist countries" finding themselves deported with a swiftness not seen in the past when their visa expires.

So what's better...deporting hatemongers or racism?

Melon

Back
Top Bottom