protecting religion's right to bigotry - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:24 PM
"got to love it -- "religious freedom" is the new code word for "protecting our rights to practice blatant discrimination."

just replace the word "gay" with, say, "interracial" and see how it goes down."

From the article posted:

BOSTON - Gov. Mitt Romney proposed legislation Wednesday that would allow Catholic Charities to refuse to arrange adoptions for gay couples.

So what do you find so offensive?

People being allowed to practice their religious faith?

Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
[BSo what do you find so offensive?

People being allowed to practice their religious faith? [/B]

people using their "religious faith" to excuse their own bigotry.

if your think your religion makes it okay for you to be a bigot, you really need to find another religion.

[q]The Protecting Religious Freedom bill would exempt the agency from the state's anti-discrimination laws[/q]

because it's okay for a religion to discriminate. because God wants that. God loves all his children. except for the little gay ones.

religion is far more of a choice than sexual orientation ...

Old 03-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 05:24 PM
I would really like to know why the majority of Christian church denominations find the acceptance of homosexuality so threatening.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
I would really like to know why the majority of Christian church denominations find the acceptance of homosexuality so threatening.
Are you asking a theological question, or a sociological question?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #20
Refugee

I'm not really sure...

If a secular state wants to recognize gay marriage without forcing the church to perform ceremonies, I don't understand why that is SUCH a big deal.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:24 AM
Quote:
I'm not really sure...

If a secular state wants to recognize gay marriage without forcing the church to perform ceremonies, I don't understand why that is SUCH a big deal.
That is a good question. The opposition to "gay marriage" extends far beyond the "conservative Christian" segment of society.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

That is a good question. The opposition to "gay marriage" extends far beyond the "conservative Christian" segment of society.

true, but the majority of Americans are not hostile to the concept of "civil unions," it's simply the word marriage that bothers them.

and the younger you go, the more support you have for marriage equality, which is why this is ultimately a losing issue for the Republicans. the bigots are dying.

and i think it's rather obvious that while a majority of Americans might express discomfort, for the time being, at "gay marriage," i don't think that a majority of Americans see this issue as one that will get them into the voting booths.

however, it is an issue that can and does motivate much of the "conservative Christian" segment of society as evidenced in the 2004 election -- by having gay marriage initatives on the ballots, a large segment of the Republican base was motivated to vote in ways and numbers that might not have been possible without a referendum on "gay marriage."
Old 03-21-2006, 12:41 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

however, it is an issue that can and does motivate much of the "conservative Christian" segment of society as evidenced in the 2004 election -- by having gay marriage initatives on the ballots, a large segment of the Republican base was motivated to vote in ways and numbers that might not have been possible without a referendum on "gay marriage."
Exactly...which leaves me wondering why homosexuality in particular is perceived as such a threat. There are plenty of other legal "sins". Perhaps it was just an easy target to get voters out for Bush by pandering to a common thread of hatred and sidestepping real issues.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Exactly...which leaves me wondering why homosexuality in particular is perceived as such a threat. There are plenty of other legal "sins". Perhaps it was just an easy target to get voters out for Bush by pandering to a common thread of hatred and sidestepping real issues.

in my opinion, the fixation on homosexuality over and above nearly all other "sins" functions in much the same way that racism or sexism functions -- gotta feel better than someone, and who better than a group of people your Bible "tells" you it's okay -- no, not just okay, but virtuous -- to discriminate.

it's like in "Mississippi Burning":

[q]

Agent Anderson: You know, when I was a little boy, there was an old Negro farmer lived down the road from us, name of Monroe. And he was... Well, I guess he was just a little luckier than my daddy was. He bought himself a mule. That was a big deal around that town. My daddy hated that mule. His friends kidded him that they saw Monroe ploughin' with his new mule, and Monroe was gonna rent another field now that he had a mule. One morning that mule just showed up dead. They poisoned the water. After that there was never any mention about that mule around my daddy. One time we were drivin' past Monroe's place and we saw it was empty. He'd just packed up and left, I guess. Gone up North or somethin'. I looked over at my daddy's face, and I knew he'd done it. And he saw that I knew. He was ashamed. I guess he was ashamed. He looked at me and he said... "If you ain't better than a n-gger, son, who are you better than?"

Agent Ward: Do you think that's an excuse?

Agent Anderson: No, it's not an excuse. It's just a story about my daddy.

Agent Ward: Where does that leave you?

Agent Anderson: With an old man who was so full of hate that he didn't know that
bein' poor was what was killin' him.

[/q]
Old 03-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

in my opinion, the fixation on homosexuality over and above nearly all other "sins" functions in much the same way that racism or sexism functions -- gotta feel better than someone, and who better than a group of people your Bible "tells" you it's okay -- no, not just okay, but virtuous -- to discriminate.
Yup. And far be it for the ruling class to use discrimination to their advantage to maintain overall control.