protect our children from anti-family forces out to corrupt them!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

You're the detective. Why don't you use your sleuthing skills and find it? I shouldn't have to do all the work for you.

Melon

Typical liberal response. "There's scientific evidence to prove it!"

Typical conservative repsonse. "Let's see that scientific evidence."

Liberal response: "Find it yourself"

MY RESPONSE: Thanks for not making up your evidence. Next time, be prepared to prove yourself.

American Academy of Pediatrics:

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/archives/febsamesex.htm

"The statement says there is a considerable body of professional literature that suggests children with parents who are homosexual have the same advantages and the same expectations for health, adjustment and development as children whose parents are heterosexual."

American Psychiatric Association:

http://www.psych.org/news_room/press_releases/adoption_coparenting121802.pdf

"Research over the past 30 years has consistently demonstrated that children raised by gay or lesbian parents exhibit the same level of emotional, cognitive, social and sexual functioning as children raised by heterosexual parents. The research also indicates that optimal development for children is not based on the sexual orientation of the parents, but on stable attachments to committed and nurturing adults."

American Psychological Association:

http://www.apa.org/pi/parent.html

"In summary, there is no evidence to suggest that lesbians and gay men are unfit to be parents or that psychosocial development among children of gay men or lesbians is compromised in any respect relative to that among offspring of heterosexual parents. Not a single study has found children of gay or lesbian parents to be disadvantaged in any significant respect relative to children of heterosexual parents. Indeed, the evidence to date suggests that home environments provided by gay and lesbian parents are as likely as those provided by heterosexual parents to support and enable children's psychosocial growth."

Chewystick69 said:
MY RESPONSE: Thanks for not making up your evidence. Next time, be prepared to prove yourself.

Read the post above me. I never said I wasn't prepared. You make far too many assumptions.

Melon

Chewystick69 said:
You go Melon. Keep of suckin! Hopefully any kids of yours will be straight.

Chewystick69 said:
To contradict you and your assinine responses!

Please refrain from personal attacks and stereotypical insults.

We have Rules here.

I always know when Sicy posts here that someone's been acting like an ass. :)

A_Wanderer said:
Firstly there are often situations where private schools share their facilities. Secondly they should not be under any duress to do so. Facilities are part of school property, if it is a private school then the school should have the right to choose if people can use their facilities and for what price.

Forcing owners of private property to share undermines the principle of property ownership. That is a form of idealism that I find abhorent.

Should schools be privatised then? If it is undermining the potential for a caring and sharing relationship between schools, who are (or at least should be), aiming for the same thing, then maybe private education should be eliminated.

To ensure that EVERY student is given every opportunity possible, to do absolutely ANYTHING they aspire to. That might be idealistic, but it is only fair on the not-so-well-off kids.

Remember it's not their fault that they are not-so-well-off, and nor is it necessarilly the parents.

But I don't think the solution to improving education is to eliminate the competition. Name one industry where having one choice has resulted in a good product. Instead, I think turning education into an open and competitive atmosphere is a good idea. Then public schools would be forced to compete for their money, rather than just sitting back, churning the same old crap, and begging for even more money that eventually gets wasted.

I think I'd have a good laugh at seeing more than a few existing public schools close for lack of attendance someday.

Melon

No one said that there is anything wrong with competition. But the main focus should be centered on competition BETWEEN THE CHILDREN rather than a battle for cash and reputation between schools. That is what must be promoted.

That is not to say that competition between the schools should be discouraged. In academia, sport and the arts, schools should be attempting to outdo each other in frequent competitions. What better learning curve for the children, and what better way of introducing children to the dog eat dog world that awaits them.

What we are seeing is a world in which most high-flyers, especially in sport, the arts and in business hail from private schools, What a disheartening thing it is for the poorer parents (and possibly in the years to come, for the children), to know that just because the child did not attend a private school, his or her hopes of achieving their dreams were dashed by an unfortunate case of dilapidated facilities or a school's inability to offer a broad range of opportunities.

In Australia especially, there is a horribly huge discrepancy between private and public schools in both the quality and range of opportunities offered to children in the sporting arena. It is an utter disgrace.

Whereas a private school footy team can afford it's own weights room, swimming pool, professional coach, a well-maintained oval, and is able to organise a proper competition against other schools, that is recognised in the media....

....a public school footy team will compete on just one day a year, in matches that last for just two 20 minute halves on sub-standard ovals with fellow students forced to umpire the games.

Rectification is necessary.

The answer lies beyond feeling obligated to maintain old school tie traditions and traditional capitalist principles of private ownership.

The idea of "don't-have-to, don't-wanna" must not apply to education. Equal opportunity for children, innocent and unaware must be achieved, through whatever means...

intedomine said:
Should schools be privatised then? If it is undermining the potential for a caring and sharing relationship between schools, who are (or at least should be), aiming for the same thing, then maybe private education should be eliminated.

To ensure that EVERY student is given every opportunity possible, to do absolutely ANYTHING they aspire to. That might be idealistic, but it is only fair on the not-so-well-off kids.

Remember it's not their fault that they are not-so-well-off, and nor is it necessarilly the parents.

You seem to equate the concept of "good education" with "complete lack of difference." The public school lobby has certainly drilled this into people's heads. However, I doubt this would ever improve education, because, frankly, most of the people running schools in this country are idiots and to give them no alternative would be a ticket to further mismanagement and stupidity.

I look at my own small town as a shining example of why local governance does not work. They're happiest when they elect "good ol' boys" who are related to the rest of the town. Nevermind that they are completely uneducated, and, in the case of the school board, these people should never be within 1000 feet of a school. Ever. To take away private education would be to give these mindnumbingly idiotic people a monopoly on education around here. I cannot, in any circumstance, support that.

The poor deserve more options, not less.

No one said that there is anything wrong with competition. But the main focus should be centered on competition BETWEEN THE CHILDREN rather than a battle for cash and reputation between schools. That is what must be promoted.

That is not to say that competition between the schools should be discouraged. In academia, sport and the arts, schools should be attempting to outdo each other in frequent competitions. What better learning curve for the children, and what better way of introducing children to the dog eat dog world that awaits them.

This is where I love Ayn Rand. If you tie the cash to the children and no one else, you'll achieve both at once. Schools will compete for children, because they are the cash. Altruism is generally a fallacy, which is why sometimes you have to craft legislation around people's greed in a positive manner.

And, sure, there should be more competition, but at this stage in the game, schools are busy competing on who has the largest cutbacks. When you are a local monopoly, you can always cry "poverty" and what can you do about it?

What we are seeing is a world in which most high-flyers, especially in sport, the arts and in business hail from private schools, What a disheartening thing it is for the poorer parents (and possibly in the years to come, for the children), to know that just because the child did not attend a private school, his or her hopes of achieving their dreams were dashed by an unfortunate case of dilapidated facilities or a school's inability to offer a broad range of opportunities.

In Australia especially, there is a horribly huge discrepancy between private and public schools in both the quality and range of opportunities offered to children in the sporting arena. It is an utter disgrace.

Whereas a private school footy team can afford it's own weights room, swimming pool, professional coach, a well-maintained oval, and is able to organise a proper competition against other schools, that is recognised in the media....

....a public school footy team will compete on just one day a year, in matches that last for just two 20 minute halves on sub-standard ovals with fellow students forced to umpire the games.

I think you have a rather stereotypical definition of private education. While there are some elite $10,000+ a year private schools in America, I went to a Catholic school where the facilities were not as good as some of the public schools in the county (but, as a testament to the stupidity of my local town, the Catholic school was much better maintained).

Rectification is necessary.

The answer lies beyond feeling obligated to maintain old school tie traditions and traditional capitalist principles of private ownership.

The idea of "don't-have-to, don't-wanna" must not apply to education. Equal opportunity for children, innocent and unaware must be achieved, through whatever means...

All this will achieve in America is an educational system where every child is equally left behind. I do not trust our public school hierarchy to ever get their heads out of their ass, and to give them a monopoly on education is to invite even more mismanagement and ineptitude than we already have.

I think for the United States, a model similar to Belgium's educational system would be a better fit.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom