Proselytizing - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Proselytizing

Proselytizing. Do you do it? If so, why? (and how, if you want to write about that) Also, have you been the target (for lack of a better word) of proselytizing? If so, what did you think of it (pleased, offended, disgusted, angry, whatever)? Were you converted? And if so, from what?

(I'm thinking of this mostly in a religious sense, but it can also apply almost anything -- social or political causes, etc.)

Quote:
Main Entry: pros·e·ly·tize
Pronunciation: 'prä-s(&-)l&-"tIz
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -tized; -tiz·ing
Date: 1679
intransitive senses
1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith
2 : to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause
transitive senses
: to recruit or convert especially to a new faith, institution, or cause
* edited to remover cat typing...little brat just typed gibberish!

Old 12-16-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:17 AM
I value my freedom to express my views and beliefs, but I'm not trying to plow down anyone who thinks differently. I think a lot of us on FYM have very strong opinions, and it would probably be pointless of me to try to change anyone else's.

I think often times everyone is a target, including myself. You sort of get the feeling like you got pushed away from the urinal if you get my drift. If I ever had to deal with something like alcoholism, I'd probably convert to kung fu - if that qualifies

Old 12-16-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:17 AM
I have never done it, no-I state my beliefs and let people decide for themselves whether or not they want to agree with me. If they do, great, but if not, that's perfectly fine, too. So long as they're respectful, that's all that I care about.

I have had someone do that to me, though-there was this one girl who kept telling me that my religious beliefs were wrong and stupid and all that sort of stuff and I was going to hell and if I'd just see the light things would be better and so on and so forth. I told her numerous times, politely at first, too, that I wasn't interested, but she just would not stop for the longest time, and it got insanely annoying. She really bugged me.

Angela
Old 12-16-2004, 11:11 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 PM
Never done it. In fact I rarely speak about my "beliefs" (or lack there of) in real life. Pretty boring topic really.

As for being the target of it, yes I have. No I dont like it. I try and be polite to doorknockers but sometimes they wont listen and I give up and close the door.

I wish there was a law to prevent doorknockers from coming onto my property. If I wanted to join a religion Im quite capable of finding them in the phone book, etc.

To answer your other question, no they didnt convert me.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:33 AM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:17 AM
Are we ourselves the best to ask of this question? We don't know how we appear through other's eyes. I see a bit of it in here and can't really say if the author's doing it intentionally.

I would bang saucepan lids to get people to listen to my pearls of wisdom, but alas the lids parted company from said saucepans back in 1994 and I haven't seen them since.

In all seriousness though, watching others do this tends to have the opposite effect and makes me want to run a mile and hide.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:03 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I think no well-educated, rational, not-suffering-from-poverty, sane guy or girl would ever considering abandoning a religion to join another one.

How can "God A" be God till 31st december 2004 and switch to "God B" ? If there is God, it would be God A or may be God A is equal to God B... How can God B better than God A ? And even if B is better ( assume for 1 micro second OK , why abandon A. Yes I can understand if you think God is the collective fanstasy people live with and hence doesnt exist. So abandoning a religion to become non-religious can be understood..

I think there are these reasons of religious conversion

1) Offer of money, land or job to those converted - this generally works on poor people.

2) Offer of emotional help to those with no emotional help.. This is EXPLOITATION. Or emotional blackemail. Sometimes this is combined with 1).

3) Misleading people by telling half-truths and lies - this generally works for uneducated souls..and their life are extinguished before they can be enlightened

4) Marriage related - Love is blind..so its ok. Emotional blackmail is required here.

5) Media attention - Oh well that celebrity joined Buddhism...this works for celebraties. Media attention..and some media report for failing artists .. Attention seeking artists.

6) Forced conversion - Well if you dont convert I am going to beat the living daylight out of you. Generally the proselytizer has a GUN or SWORD.

7) Repeated lies - By forcing some to hear repeated lies till it becomes truth.

8) Those who want to go to war - Some countries never go to war..So you can convert and fight religious war somewhere else.
These people like killing other people so that they can feel they are important people. Obviousily sanity is the last thing they have.

9) Feeling pity or sorry for proselytizer -
Once he or she converts that guy will never chase him again..and he can have a peaceful life.. Also this type of people feel pity for them.

ANY sane person with decent education and money converting religions is NOT possible !!

AcrobatMan
Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

7) Repeated lies - By forcing some to hear repeated lies till it becomes truth.

this works for kids.. i meant kids are SUBJECTED to it from age 0 to age 15 ...when they think whatever they have been fed with till that age MUST be truth....
Old 12-17-2004, 06:06 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I don't do it. I'm a convert to Catholicism, so I know something about conversion. It has to be a choice. A person has to decide that they want to follow Religion X. I can't make that decision for anyone else. If they are interested in my religion, great, they can go to Mass with me, talk to the priest, etc, etc. To become a Catholic one has to go through catechism. It's not a snap decision.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:21 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

may i ask this ?

1) why was ur present religion better than ur previous religion.
2) how and why did you change ur religion.

i know its a personal question.. so please feel free to ignore it.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I had some psychological baggage from my childhood religion, Protestantism, which I never really had a decent understanding of. When I was a kid I never really wanted to go to church, it was always force. I wasn't good in social situations. I had no idea that this was because I had a touch of autism. Neither did anyone else. Unfortunately, there was alot of racism in the church I grew up in also. I now understand that it's certainly not fair to blame churches for racism, because everyone sins. However, this disgusted my parents, and they quit the church. The whole thing was really unfortunate. I became a skeptic. But I didn't really like being a skeptic. It was depressing. Meanwhile I had started to research Catholicism. I'd been told alot of really negative things about Catholicism, and I wondered if this stuff was really true. I liked the saints, many of the popes, etc, etc, much to my family's horror. I hit a really dark, bleak period in life. At this point I converted. It was a real blessing. It helped me get out of the predicament I was in. It took years for the conversion to be complete. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. But I'm really glad I did it.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:51 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 09:17 AM
I learned a new word today - thanks Indra
Old 12-17-2004, 08:15 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I had some psychological baggage from my childhood religion, Protestantism,
thanks for sharing..

for me, protestant and catholics belong to the same religion...CHRISTANITY..so effectively you havent changed ur religion....as I see.

for a outsider..its still Christanity...I think you used to believe in Jesus..and you still do..

so i am NOT referring to u..in my previous posts in this thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:23 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Great differences between Catholicism and Protestantism, I should know i'm from Belfast......
Old 12-17-2004, 08:34 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude
Great differences between Catholicism and Protestantism, I should know i'm from Belfast......
Both Christian though.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:38 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I wont call Catholicism a religion.. its a sect of Christanity..

Same goes for Protestant..

Also Anglican

..Orthodox..

many others...