Prophesies/Evil Doers/Religions influence on GW BUSH - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2003, 10:06 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:25 PM
I beg to differ - Feb. 11, 2003

By: Michael Quay February 10, 2003

For God's sake, who's right?
If you haven't already noticed, there are these trendy bracelets being worn by the more fashion conscious Christians these days. It is a small cloth strip with the initials WWJD? or "What Would Jesus Do?" It is supposed to remind the wearer to query himself as to what Christ would do in any given situation throughout the day.

But wait - Next on the bumper-sticker religion assembly line comes the new WWJD? What Would Jesus Drive? The supposed inspiration of a minister, this query begs the question "Do you think our Lord would drive one of those gas guzzling nightmare SUV's? Or do you think the Almighty would prefer driving a more fuel efficient model, perhaps a Volkswagen? Who knows - it's a mystery.

Now for your consideration is the ultimate and timely query - WWJB? or Whom Would Jesus Bomb?

What an titillating yet enigmatic question. Who would Jesus bomb? The Iraqis? The Arabs? The Jews? All of Asia? Those pagans on the west coast? Surely Disney World (for having Gay Days)? Liberal Catholics and Conservative Protestants? Snake handlers? Or maybe he'll just get so sick of the whole mess and nuke the whole lot of us.

I spent much of last weekend combing through the Gospels and my Bible concordance in an attempt to answer this question of Whom Would Jesus Bomb? because somewhere along the line I must have missed the boat. It seems almost everyone today is equating the will of God with war, and the current administration is going to great lengths bringing home the idea that it's not only in our national security interests to attack another country, but that it's down-right holy to start dropping the bunker-busters.

Even our president and his lofty congregation of advisers have seen fit to insert the word "God" into every three sentences of every piece of propaganda distributed to every conceivable media outlet in their attempt to turn their hunt for oil into some sort of religious crusade. So the problem must be me. I don't get it. Maybe I should beseech George Bush or John Ashcroft to teach me the Gospel.

Because for the life of me I can't seem to find the same Bible passages they must be reading. All I find is that same old "forgive your enemies, bless those who curse you" kind of stuff. In one passage Jesus goes so far as to say that when we see people less fortunate then ourselves (which is pretty much the entire world) we are not to give them "just our shirts, but our coats as well." That's un-American, that's what that is!

I searched and searched trying desperately to reconcile current Bushisms with what I read in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, but all I came up with was that same old party line: Give and ask for nothing in return. Share everything you have with your neighbor, when someone strikes you, offer them the other cheek, resist not evil, and this prophetic statement, "Those who live by the sword will die by the sword."

The truth is there aren't any Bushisms found in the Gospel. It's all a tragic joke being played on ordinary people. The truth is if Jesus came back in person and saw what George Bush and those like him were doing in God's name, he'd vomit.

Even the most partisan Republican would be hard pressed to come up with three good things that have happened in this country in the past two years since George Bush was appointed to the office of the presidency. But worse than that is the blasphemy used when this president (or any politician) slips in the "G word" suggesting that they are the mouthpieces of God. That makes them nothing more than liars.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:09 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

They use the Old Testament to justify war. I once had a minister's son tell my father that the Bible *does* say "an eye for an eye." Never mind that Jesus refutes that statement in the New Testament. These are the kind of people we are dealing with.

Melon

Old 02-24-2003, 11:02 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:25 PM

LOL @ this thread.

I recall you, deathbear, once saying the thought that Bush was the anti-Christ or some other apocalyptic bad guy had crossed your mind. Similar theory to these end-of-the-world freaks.

~U2Alabama
Old 02-24-2003, 11:10 PM   #34
Purgatory

well considering ive said all but one word, which was "precisely" to one of nbcrusaders remarks, i dont really understand where this is coming from.

and from what i know about the anti-christ is that he will come in peace and will bring peace to the world - at the beginning. bush certainly hasnt done that, thus removing any possibility of him being the prince of darkness.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:12 PM   #35
Purgatory

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I beg to differ - Feb. 11, 2003

By: Michael Quay February 10, 2003

For God's sake, who's right?
If you haven't already noticed, there are these trendy bracelets being worn by the more fashion conscious Christians these days. It is a small cloth strip with the initials WWJD? or "What Would Jesus Do?" It is supposed to remind the wearer to query himself as to what Christ would do in any given situation throughout the day.

But wait - Next on the bumper-sticker religion assembly line comes the new WWJD? What Would Jesus Drive? The supposed inspiration of a minister, this query begs the question "Do you think our Lord would drive one of those gas guzzling nightmare SUV's? Or do you think the Almighty would prefer driving a more fuel efficient model, perhaps a Volkswagen? Who knows - it's a mystery.

Now for your consideration is the ultimate and timely query - WWJB? or Whom Would Jesus Bomb?

What an titillating yet enigmatic question. Who would Jesus bomb? The Iraqis? The Arabs? The Jews? All of Asia? Those pagans on the west coast? Surely Disney World (for having Gay Days)? Liberal Catholics and Conservative Protestants? Snake handlers? Or maybe he'll just get so sick of the whole mess and nuke the whole lot of us.

I spent much of last weekend combing through the Gospels and my Bible concordance in an attempt to answer this question of Whom Would Jesus Bomb? because somewhere along the line I must have missed the boat. It seems almost everyone today is equating the will of God with war, and the current administration is going to great lengths bringing home the idea that it's not only in our national security interests to attack another country, but that it's down-right holy to start dropping the bunker-busters.

Even our president and his lofty congregation of advisers have seen fit to insert the word "God" into every three sentences of every piece of propaganda distributed to every conceivable media outlet in their attempt to turn their hunt for oil into some sort of religious crusade. So the problem must be me. I don't get it. Maybe I should beseech George Bush or John Ashcroft to teach me the Gospel.

Because for the life of me I can't seem to find the same Bible passages they must be reading. All I find is that same old "forgive your enemies, bless those who curse you" kind of stuff. In one passage Jesus goes so far as to say that when we see people less fortunate then ourselves (which is pretty much the entire world) we are not to give them "just our shirts, but our coats as well." That's un-American, that's what that is!

I searched and searched trying desperately to reconcile current Bushisms with what I read in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, but all I came up with was that same old party line: Give and ask for nothing in return. Share everything you have with your neighbor, when someone strikes you, offer them the other cheek, resist not evil, and this prophetic statement, "Those who live by the sword will die by the sword."

The truth is there aren't any Bushisms found in the Gospel. It's all a tragic joke being played on ordinary people. The truth is if Jesus came back in person and saw what George Bush and those like him were doing in God's name, he'd vomit.

Even the most partisan Republican would be hard pressed to come up with three good things that have happened in this country in the past two years since George Bush was appointed to the office of the presidency. But worse than that is the blasphemy used when this president (or any politician) slips in the "G word" suggesting that they are the mouthpieces of God. That makes them nothing more than liars.
great article. its funny, it appears to me that the ones who use the bible to their advantage the most are also quite likely the ones who read it the least.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:21 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Bama, I must confess, I did not start this thread because I find it amusing. To be honest, it is something that greatly concerns me. Not because I believe that they can bring about the end of the world. I am concerned because too many of the things this President is saying lately, indicate to me that he is on a crusade.

This may sound horrifying to all here but I mean it sincerely. The Armed Forces of the Unites States should not be used for the liberation of Iraq. This is the absolute most offensive thing to me. It is a lousy reason to put American lives at risk. It is political propaganda and it is crap. TO me the only legitimate reason to "liberate" Iraq is to defend our country. Instead we a have a President claiming to speak to the "Almighty" urging him to liberate Iraq. It is "BULLSHIT".

I am concerned because people like Richard Perle were urging Israel to step away from the peace table in 1996. Urging Israel to overthow Saddam. Urging Israel to not seek peace with the Palestinians. In 1996, if I am not mistaken, President Clinton was (among other things) working to try and broker peace between the two parties. I see something VERY wrong with that. Do not get me wrong I am not a Democrat, nor am I a Clinton Fan. I am an AMERICAN. When the governement that is representing me is working to broker peace, what the hell is a Republican doing in Israel advising them to not work for peace? Now that same REPUBLICAN is one of the main advisors to the President in this area.

This stuff sincerely disturbs me. I am not against the war if it is necessary. I am still waiting to here something from the commander in chief that is a better reason than the "ALMIGHTY" told me to.

Peace, and yes I am still a Republican, just a rather irked one.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:30 PM   #37
Purgatory

wow, dreadsox, that was all-around brilliant. noone can ever accuse you of being close-minded.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:34 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Gickies Gageeze
wow, dreadsox, that was all-around brilliant. noone can ever accuse you of being close-minded.
Will you still say the same thing a month from now, when I am defending the US actions in Iraq with Bama and Sting?
Old 02-24-2003, 11:37 PM   #39
Purgatory

in all likelyhood, no.

i cant see that happening, to be completely honest.

so i may as well throw in compliments while i still can.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:39 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

thanks
Old 02-24-2003, 11:41 PM   #41
Purgatory

at least im being honest with you, no bullshit here.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:42 PM   #42
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Will you still say the same thing a month from now, when I am defending the US actions in Iraq with Bama and Sting?

LMAO! For what it's worth:
Old 02-24-2003, 11:45 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

LMAO! For what it's worth:
Old 02-24-2003, 11:49 PM   #44
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:25 PM
*gains composure*

Hey, how 'bout them Chicago Bears?

hee hee
Old 02-25-2003, 06:23 PM   #45
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 04:25 AM
melon: right, and as far as i know this "eye to eye" thing was "don't take more than he took from you" - to stop revenge and escalation.

So don't bomb a country, just because ....

Klaus