Proper Education Standards Prevail - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
The Bible is a nice book.

To discuss in a philosophy or religion class. Along with its various translations and so on.

I don't understand why ID/creationism proponents insist it be mentioned or taught or discussed in biology class. It's laughable and embarrassing.
I agree.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by silja

I meant I've never understood why so many Christians treat evolution so differently that say...learning about a cell mebrane, studying the digestive system, memorizing the formula for photosynthesis, filling in chi squares. To me, science and religion can be complementary.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #63
The Fly

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Sorry, I just didn't understand the sentence. I agree that science and religion can be complementary but as my religion does not emphasise a creator I've just never really had to reconcile the two views. Evolution makes perfect sense to me.

ETA: That might also be the reason why I react so strongly when some people (and Christians tend to be in majority among those) suggest that evolution is simple anti-religious.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

I find the ID supporters to be very disingenuous. They always go on about how evolution is a theory and that ID should be mentioned as an alternate theory because their Bible supports it (there is absolutely NO empirical evidence to support it). But when have you ever seen them clamoring to have reincarnation introduced? Or the Hindu theories of the creation/destruction cycles of the world? Never, ever. This isn't about broadening the horizons of students to all possible alternatives, it's about trying to present the Christian theory as something worthy of discussion in a science class.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I'm glad a few posts on the Internet have got me labelled "most people" and "the Christians who". I don't recall ever saying one word in this thread on Adam (or Eve).
The Biblical account of Adam, the first man is that God created Adam in his own image from the clay of the earth. How do you reconcile the Biblical story of Adam with evolution?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:

science and religion can be complementary

yes they can

but often, religion contradicts science

and many other writings can complement science,
some Greek mythology, Shakespeare writings, and a whole host of various cultural writings,
because they complement science
that should make them part of a science curriculum?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I find the ID supporters to be very disingenuous. They always go on about how evolution is a theory and that ID should be mentioned as an alternate theory because their Bible supports it (there is absolutely NO empirical evidence to support it).
What "empirical evidence" is there that supports the idea that there is no intelligent designer behind the Big Bang?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #68
The Fly

Quote:
I find the ID supporters to be very disingenuous. They always go on about how evolution is a theory and that ID should be mentioned as an alternate theory because their Bible supports it (there is absolutely NO empirical evidence to support it). But when have you ever seen them clamoring to have reincarnation introduced? Or the Hindu theories of the creation/destruction cycles of the world? Never, ever. This isn't about broadening the horizons of students to all possible alternatives, it's about trying to present the Christian theory as something worthy of discussion in a science class.
I won't say that I find ID supporters disingenuous as a whole. Many see ID as a way to reconcile their religion and the modern world and that is their own affair. However, 'disingenuous' does describe many of the outspoken supporters rather well. As I mentioned above, the claim that ID is non-denominational is simply a lie. It’s a front for Judeo-Christian religious teachings.

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
some Greek mythology, Shakespeare writings, and a whole host of various cultural writings,
No, and this is one of my many problems with ID and creationism. If the principle of ID is taken to its natural conclusion if would have to include exceptions for every religious thought that has ever passed through anyones head... though I fail to see what Shakespeare has to do with anything.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I feel like it should be all, or evolution. The school I went to introduced several theories of creation, including those based solely on science and those from other religions. I think we looked at one or two a day for just a few days, so on the scale of time spent, the whole lesson on creation and all its possibilities was marginal. I don't think that presenting exclusively evolution or ID is the proper way to go about it. Like you said, it's a science class so it's rather pointless to be having this debate. I didn't mind that my school went about it differently and considered many possibilities, but I wouldn't have cared if we only studied evolution. For public schools, just studying evolution obviously is the only option that makes sense. If kids want to learn about ID and other religious creation stories, they can get that in a history or religion course.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

yes they can

but often, religion contradicts science

I'm not following your logic.....

I was responding to silja's question; I did not intend to say that theology belongs in the science curriculum.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by silja

..though I fail to see what Shakespeare has to do with anything.

there is wisdom, humanity and life lessons to be learned in his writings

if we had the people in the mid-eest studing these classics
they might get better life lessons than what they learn in their religious texts

just my opinion
Old 08-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'm not following your logic.....

I was responding to silja's question; I did not intend to say that theology belongs in the science curriculum.
sorry

re-reading your posts

i see that you went to a private (religious?) school.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #73
The Fly

Quote:
there is wisdom, humanity and life lessons to be learned in his writings

if we had the people in the mid-eest studing these classics
they might get better life lessons than what they learn in their religious texts

just my opinion
'We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep. '?

I get what you mean but although Shakespeare surely was among the greatest writers that mankind has produced he wasn't a profet. I don't think that religion has any place in a science lesson. Why would I think that the Great Bard should be included? I hope that people in the Middle East - and the Midwest I might add - study the great classics but outside science classes.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

sorry

re-reading your posts

i see that you went to a private (religious?) school.
Yes, all the schools I went to have been private and all have taught evolution in science class.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

What "empirical evidence" is there that supports the idea that there is no intelligent designer behind the Big Bang?

the question is backwards.

the burden of proof is on you to prove that there is an intelligent designer behind the Big Bang.