Propagation of religion - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2004, 09:19 AM   #16
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:46 AM
I agree.

Come on, Aussie, I told you how things work in another thread.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:14 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 07:16 PM
lol chill out guys. I wasn't being serious.

Old 09-18-2004, 07:32 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 08:46 AM
i've always had a problem with missionaries. what they do seems wrong to me. it just seems like what the spanish did to the indians when they came to north america. and also the encomienda system, which i know doesn't go on today, but it's just the idea of getting ahead in life by converting someone to christianity (or really anyother religion...) anyway, leave people alone... the whole forcing beliefs on people makes me sick and that is one of the primary reason i hate organized religion

eh, i'm rambling again & not making sense. i'm stressed out from school... (especially APUSH, pre-calc, APUSH, AP english & APUSH)

peace,
toni
Old 09-18-2004, 07:44 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 PM
<insert my usual whinge about missionaries in the Australian outback>

Can I just say that the opposite is also true. People who "convert" away from religion can also be annoyingly fanatical.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 PM
You have your beliefs,

I have mine

We can say they are both real neat

Or we can bitch and whine

I will get better at it, give me time.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:01 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 AM
I forgot to rant about revivals. They can be very scary and cult like, and if held indoors are sometimes lock-ins. They sometimes do unkind things to people to try to pressure them to come up front. I know people who were upset to be told that they would never see their stillborn baby in Heaven, or that their friend who died last week was burning in hell. How awful
Old 09-18-2004, 08:10 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 PM
If I was on the recieving end of that type of treatment they may have their faith tested by a 6 foot 4 hockey goalkeeper who posts on a U2 forum under the alias of A_Wanderer.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:50 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Old 09-18-2004, 08:56 PM   #24
Refugee

I do think there is a huge distinction between evangelist Christians and Catholic & Protestant Christens that focus on serving God. Ultimately, I think that God would find it more important to take care of the poor rather than raise money to round up followers.

With all of the problems with the Catholic heirchy, Catholics follow Jesus much more closely than an Evangelist Protestant. A percentage of my Church were raised Catholic (including myself) and it amazes me that the former Catholics make up most of the Outreach committee. (The outreach committee is the group that motivates the rest of the congregation to serve for the poor & needy. They coordinate our congregation to cook and serve for a soup kitchen, raise funds for hunger walks, grow vegetables for the hungry in the summer, etc.) Catholic missionaries are a great example of how I think Jesus would want things to be. People like Mother Theresa devote their life to helping the poor and needy. Evangelist missionaries are more concerned about the number of recruits they get and how much more $ can go to the church and their Evangelism

There are Protestant religions that place serving God first and others that place spreading God's word first. There are tons of different ways to be a Christian. I disapprove of religions that recruit and threaten hell for non-followers. I hope that there are more helpful/serving missionaries than "follow me or go to hell" missionaries. I think they are giving Christianity a bad name.

For me, the best teacher of Christianity is Bono. While he isn’t affiliated with any specific denomination, he makes it clear: Jesus is a great guy to follow because he cheered for the poor and needy and died to give us grace. Aspire to do the cool selfless things that Jesus did – and you will be cool too. What could be a better way to lead your life – whether you believe in Jesus or not.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:04 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

You make some excellent points Anne! I also think it's best to lead by example, and some evangelical Southern Baptists I have known have not set a very good example of anything but hypocrisy, self righteousness and judgmental-ness.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:33 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not overly fond of the folks who come to my house and try to convert me, but I haven't found them to be too obnoxious...I usually just tell them "no thanks. You can turn around up by the barn" and shut the door. They go away. Less fun when their knocking on the door and ringing the bell wakes me up. But I'm pretty good at ignoring them and going back to sleep.

The worst people though are the aquaintences, co-workers, neighbors, etc., who you meet for lunch or whatever and all of a sudden they whip out this Bible and start "teaching!" And they go on and on about how what they are pushing is the only way to salvation and how I'm going to hell (like THAT'S anything new ). I'm sorry but that just pisses me off no end. I do not tell them why they shouldn't believe whatever the hell they want to believe, even when I disagree with it. I expect the same respect from them. One positive thing though -- I never get asked for "lunch" a second time. One place I worked there was even a woman who would hang out in the restroom and accost people there with her spiel. I guess she figured she had a captive audience!

But a kind of funny tale from just a few days ago. I bought some items from someone in Australia and I wired the money to him. When I went to the bank to arrange it, no one was there who knew what to do, so I chatted with a teller (it was a slow day). Well...music came up and I mentioned that I like a band named The Church. Just then the person who knew what to do came back and we started working on the wire. When I said it was to go to Australia, the first teller said, "Oh, do you have a missionary there?" to which I eloquently replied "Huh?" So she said "You know, from your church...." All I could do not to burst out laughing! When I emailed the guy in OZ with the wire info I told him the story and that he better be converting those Bondi heathens!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 10:36 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

U2Kitten -- maybe it's just late, but Larry looks kinda like Kevin Bacon in the photo you have there.... Yikes!
Old 09-18-2004, 10:42 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
U2Kitten -- maybe it's just late, but Larry looks kinda like Kevin Bacon in the photo you have there.... Yikes!
Yes, indeed
Old 09-18-2004, 11:01 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
No, I do not believe anyone should 'bug' people. I believe in most cases this turns people off and drives them away rather than pulling them in, and the only ones who even give them the time of day are doing so out of guilt rather than anything greater. I believe that everyone will or will not come to their own conclusions in time, when and if moved, and pushing them doesn't help.

I agree 100% . It's especially annoying when customers try to do this while you are working.....not that that's ever happened to me