propaganda - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2002, 07:01 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:28 AM
wink

that book looks very interesting, i will pick that up as soon as im done with the book im on now.

i hope diamond reads at least the comment made about the book...

Old 08-28-2002, 07:20 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 11:28 AM
MORE PROPAGANDA- Yeah, that's what they need.

U.S. to Probe Anti-Americanism

WASHINGTON (AP) - The State Department will host a two-day conference next week to explore the roots of anti-Americanism worldwide.

Spokesman Richard Boucher said about 20 scholars from the United States and abroad will share their thoughts with 50 State Department officials.

He said the department hopes the conference, set for Sept 5-6, will yield clues as to how to counter anti-Americanism.

The conference is the culmination of a project conducted by the department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research.

The bureau has already looked at the phenomenon in Europe, Russia and the Muslim world, Boucher said.

Since Sept. 11, the administration has been working harder to get its message across to Muslim countries, some of which demonstrated popular support for the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Secretary of State Colin Powell and other officials have given interviews to media outlets from Islamic countries. The department also has sponsored U.S. tours for media representatives from a number of Muslim countries.

Last March, the Voice of America launched a new 24-hour AM-FM station tailored for listeners in the Arab world.

Old 08-28-2002, 07:40 PM   #18
Banned

Local Time: 06:28 AM
Peace on Earth = POP MART

well , Hitler was a smart politician , however i hope Iraq and United States will come to peace solution , i will pray for it .

DREAM OUTLOUD

Old 08-28-2002, 11:00 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
that book looks very interesting, i will pick that up as soon as im done with the book im on now.

i hope diamond reads at least the comment made about the book...
This book was writen 40 yrs ago.
Before CableNews.
Before Mass Media.
Before the Internet.

And if u read Hi-Bias post The Bush ppl do not think they r all high and mighty as they r finding out about the American resentment

DB9
Old 08-28-2002, 11:41 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

actually diamond, i dont think you read hibias's post.

at least if you did, you certainly got a totally different perspective of it than i did.

diamond, just cause you have cable tv and internet connection does NOT mean that you cant be fooled!

you say that book is old, well you know what? propaganda is being used EVEN more now than ever!

diamond please, dont just watch the news without actually thinking about it a little.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:54 PM   #21
Refugee

You know after reading Tyler Durdens post i am changing my opionin a bit.

Fuck this I as a citizen of the world want answers. I want a answer to the question everyone is asking. Give us hard evidence. A war on the magnitude that the US-Iraq qar qould be qould affect the whole world. My gas prices would go up, my friends would go to war and people will die. Why should we not have hard facts.

I am 99% sure Iraq has or is trying to obtain dangerous weapons. But some people arnt. Why should they not be convinced? You are very right who ever said that India could then attack Pakistan or China-Taiwan S. Korea-N. Korea. Will the US be opening a big can of worms. The US jumps into alot of situations trying to offer peace as a solution, they should take some of their own medicene.

I want a answer to my question the worlds question. I am sure we all think its happening but we want dont want to think its happening we want to know.

The only thing I nust critque of your post Tyler is this quote:

He would know that the day he sends a missile into Israel, or is linked to a dirty bomb going off in New York, is going to be his last day on earth. I don't think he's that stupid or suicidal.

He did send a missile into Israel and he might be linked to 9/11 he is still alive and thriving. I have no problem with a war on Iraq but it must be substaintated and a reason, a actual reason must be present.

Gees who would have ever thought someone could change someones mind in Free your Mind!!!
Old 08-29-2002, 12:59 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
The US jumps into alot of situations trying to offer peace as a solution, they should take some of their own medicene.
you don't think it's quirky that we offer peace as a solution either with threats of a severe bombing, amidst a severe bombing, or just after a severe bombing? yeah...it's not hypocritical or anything

i want to make sure that those who are not american posting in this thread realize that not all americans are convinced of the validity of a war in iraq either. we haven't seen proof, and we aren't getting very good propaganda (like diamond says, we have internet and the like now, so it makes the "brainwash your public" idea a bit more difficult) so many are still ill-convinced that a war is necessary.

i was chatting about this situation with my mom last night, she came up with a really good point:

if the u.s can go and pre-emptively strike iraq without concrete evidence of their having wmd's, what stops iraq from striking the us pre-emptively?
Old 08-29-2002, 01:30 AM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

He did send a missile into Israel and he might be linked to 9/11 he is still alive and thriving. I have no problem with a war on Iraq but it must be substaintated and a reason, a actual reason must be present.

Gees who would have ever thought someone could change someones mind in Free your Mind!!!
You mean the Scuds in the Gulf War? I know, but I meant a WMD, now, out of the blue, what they are afraid of. And there is no hard 100% link between him and 9/11 although I understand that making a link public, if they have one, may not be a good idea.

The point of my post before was, I would support the US if I thought there was a threat. But I can't see the threat, and Im not the only one. It seems only 5 or 6 people from the Bush Administration plus the hardcore Bush supporters in the US support it. But 98% of the other nations of the world don't. A big chunk of America doesn't. Not even all of the American Congress/Senate does. Why? If it was that serious, that it had to be dealt with a large scale war, and soon, and was as deadly a threat as Cheney said the other day, you'd think they all would know it and all would support it.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:21 AM   #24
Refugee

Thats what i mean tyler, if the US had some hard evidence then the world would be behind them. I also think the US, Bush sont have concrete evidence but do have a preety good idea of whats going on.

Now i pose this question.

If the US has some info on weapons in Iraqand didnt do anything because they didnt have absolute evidence and Iraq bombs the US and kills 1000's and 1000's then do we turn and say why didnt we go after him? Or do we say well we were not sure beyond eveerypersons total satisfaction?
Old 08-29-2002, 02:29 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

abre los ojos.. see the Vanilla sky

Sorry... random title.

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

This book was writen 40 yrs ago.
Before CableNews.
Before Mass Media.
Before the Internet.

And if u read Hi-Bias post The Bush ppl do not think they r all high and mighty as they r finding out about the American resentment

DB9
Yes the book was written 40 years ago... Jacques Ellul's insight into society wouldn't happen if Aldous Huxley [author of Brave New World] hasn't referred scholars to this obscure French Marxist Catholic layman (most forefront intellectuals are Marxists,e.g. Baudrillard, Jameson)...

Now, to be honest, I haven't completely read Ellul's Propaganda... I'm reading his book Technological Society as a intro into Propaganda.

But given that it was 40 years ago, Ellul's statements couldn't be any more prophetic and real as it is now.

Before cable, mass media, Internet, you say?
Those are the very tools that propagada takes.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:43 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

the more i read here, and the more i hear out there, the stronger i feel about this issue.

btw, what kind of a democrazy allows someone into office when a different candidate had more votes?
Old 08-29-2002, 03:08 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

Bear-
What type of Democracy, you ask?
The USA is a "Democratic Republic".
Again a display of your polictical obtuseness.:coooco:
Stick w RadioHead..that is our safest bet

Peace
Out-
DB9: :
Old 08-29-2002, 01:20 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

what are you talking about diamond?

i know what democracy bloody means, you dumbass. quit questioning my intel since you have yet to answer any questions we have presented to you.

but thats ok, you fit the follower role so well, your making dubya proud.

stop acting like a fool and start bringing something worthwhile to the table. if not, then stop coming to the thread and acting like an idiot.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:32 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
what are you talking about diamond?

, you dumbass.

but thats ok, you fit the follower role so well, your making dubya proud.

an idiot.
Bear-
Please stop calling me names
You may want to look up my "Duped By The Right/ Duped By The Left" thread if you wanted to know of my polictical openess.
And plez stop comparing Bush to Hitler.

thank u-
diamond
Old 08-29-2002, 02:04 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Big Grin

Quote:

btw, what kind of a democrazy allows someone into office when a different candidate had more votes?
Why are you still asking this question after all this time? Wasn't our Electorial College system ever explained to you? Sarcasm perhaps?