Principal Cancels 'Bacchanalian' Prom - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:32 PM
Principal Cancels 'Bacchanalian' Prom

UNIONDALE, N.Y. — Kenneth M. Hoagland had heard all the stories about prom-night debauchery at his Long Island high school: Students putting down $10,000 to rent a house in the Hamptons for a weekend bash. Pre-prom cocktail parties followed by a trip to the dance in a limo loaded with liquor. Fathers chartering a boat so their kids could go out on a late-night "booze cruise."

Enough was enough, Hoagland said. So the principal of Kellenberg Memorial High School fired off a 2,000-word missive to parents at the start of the school year informing them that the Catholic school would no longer put on the spring prom.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/enterta..._Canceled.html

Old 10-18-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:32 PM
I read about that yesterday. These prom things do seem out of control, if anyone's ever seen that ridiculous sweet 16 show on MTV..it's mind boggling what people spend on that and how spoiled and nasty the kids are

I never went to my prom, I never got asked except by my best male friend who was too shy to even ask me himself, another friend told me and by then I had made up my mind I wasn't going. He was a great guy though..

anyway I lived, and that was just a simple prom. How are some of these kids going to face reality when life isn't like that anymore?

It is the parents, I don't get it..I never lived like that as a teenager so I guess that's why I don't

Old 10-18-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I agree the renting of houses and yaughts is extreme and completely ridiculous. But it's totally the parents fault, not prom.

I just think the logic behind this one is gone.

Now you are going to just force some parents to chip in and plan their own prom, one that's even more exclusive than most.

I just think everyone should have the same oppurtunity to have a miserable time at the prom like me.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Some may feel a prom is an entitlement of high school. But why give students and their parents the opportunity (and some may argue a requirement) to spend huge amounts of money in purely self-indulgent behavior? Is this the role of a school?

Parents continue to soar to new heights of idiotic behavior with the provision of alcohol and opening of homes for children to engage in sexual activities. Abdicating to the will of children "who will do it anyways", parent no longer parent and desire to be friends (perhaps they seek the attention the children give to other friends).

I say congratulations to the principle for taking a stand on this issue. The easy path would be to retain the status quo and provide another prom.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

i have very mixed feelings.

i think that this is a bad example of a typical high school prom, just as that horror show MTV program "sweet 16" is a bad example of a girl's 16th birthday party. these are *extremely* wealthy kids, who are unquestionably spoiled, and have parents who really don't care all that much -- they have money, so no one really has to worry about too much.

so i don't think that this should be some sort of precedent for proms around the country. i grew up in a fairly upscale town with an outstanding public school, and while some money was dropped on the prom -- tickets were $90, we stupidly rented a limo, had to rent a tux -- it was nothing like what these parents are doing. my prom was fun, and afterwards we went to the (really fun) post-prom party that was thrown by parents and teachers which was alcohol free, we then stayed out all night and, yes, we did drink a bit, but i remember going to an elementary school playground at 4 in the morning and playing on the swings and feeling very free, exhilerated at what was beyond high school, and a growing sense of accomplishment at what had happened over the past 4 years.

i don't remember any drugs, i don't remember anyone getting sick, and since i went to the prom with my best female friend, i certainly wasn't having sex. no one in my group did, either, i don't think.

however, i think there are two problems with proms. firstly, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too mythologized in popular teenage culture, thank you Molly Ringwald. so much is built into this event, so many emotions and expectations are invested, that it can't help but be a let down. it's just a really fancy dance, that's it.

secondly, i think proms are kind of antiquated. they seem to fit into a world that doesn't really exist any more, a world with strong walls between the genders, a world where people got married right out of high school, and a world where status is measured by the expense of the prom dress.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think the principal was afraid of seeing his school's prom turn into an MTV series. (Sweet 16 provides for high comedy...I mean who wouldn't be devastated if they weren't picked to be a VIP for the party) He probably went a little far in cancelling the event. I would be surprised if the kids or parents did not plan something, regardless of the school's decision.

The prom is pretty overrated though. Some people will get drunk. Some people will lose their virginity. Some people will wind up crying uncontrollably. But hey, everyone needs an excuse to get dressed up and dance to Loveshack right?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Some may feel a prom is an entitlement of high school. But why give students and their parents the opportunity (and some may argue a requirement) to spend huge amounts of money in purely self-indulgent behavior? Is this the role of a school?

I say congratulations to the principle for taking a stand on this issue. The easy path would be to retain the status quo and provide another prom.
You're taking the giant leap that the priciple here did.

Prom doesn't = the opportunity

Parents = the opportunity

Prom is just a dance. A celebration of ending one's high school career. I agree with Irvine that the myth has gotten way out of control. But the prom itself is not the problem and shouldn't be where the principle should have taken a stand.

Do we eliminate graduation ceremonies next?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm just glad I'm out of high school. I don't miss being treated like an infant. I don't miss the homework. I don't miss the immature people.

All in all, I don't miss it.

Melon
Old 10-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:32 AM
My school didn't really have a prom; we had a spoof on a prom. We rented a room in a house that looks like a castle, and got dresses and tuxes made and/or rented. Then we just had a low-key party and called it a "prom". Dating was optional; if you didn't have a date you just came and hung out. I didn't have a date, I just went. Proms can be so ridiculous, some of this behavior is pretty unacceptable.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Same thing over here with stories of kids renting limos and Hummer stretches to take them to their 'debs' as we call it. I think it's a symptom of wealth rather than 'decadence' personally. In my day you were lucky if you got a ham sandwich and some lemonade....the youth of today don't know how lucky they are.....rant...rant...etc
Old 10-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #11
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:32 PM

While such prom-related festivities can seem like a ridiculous waste of money and spark people to participate in illegal actions (like underage drinking at pre and post parties), not everybody chooses to celebrate prom night in such a fashion, and it's a shame for those that they are being screwed out of their prom.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

kellenberg is one of the cheapest private schools on long island. tuition is around $6,000 per year. the kids that attend are upper-middle class to perhaps low "high" class. they are not even close to the "extremly wealthy."

all this cancelation will do is force the kids to go out and set up their own events. this solved nothing, and only hurt the majority of those who simply want to enjoy their prom. so the "popular kids" will still have their senior events, while the rest will be left to small gatherings if anything at all.

good job jackass.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't go to junior or senior prom and I don't regret it.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Does anyone actually enjoy their prom? No one I know admits to actually enjoying it.

I didn't bother go to mine. I think I went out to a casual dinner and saw a movie instead. I figured the food and entertainment were far better, and it didn't cost nearly as much. And these were in the days when kids considered it a huge deal if they could borrow their parents car to go to prom (which was generally held at the high school gym).
Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I just stayed home and watched TV, I didn't feel like being out on the road when all my friends and other people were out wasted.