Principal Calls 8 Year Old A Thief And A Liar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/5281034/detail.html

Some parents in a local school district say the principal was out of line for taking by the hand an 8-year-old accused of stealing into every classroom in the school and telling kids she is a thief and a liar.

Some want more than an apology -- they want the principal fired.

Marlene Whitby is the principal of William Penn Elementary School.

The parents of the little girl she humiliated say she scarred their child for life.

The girl's father told Channel 4 Action News, "What good can you get out of that -- abusing a child? What good can you get out of that."

Another student accused his 8-year-old daughter of stealing $5.

That's when her family says Whitby walked the girl into each and every classroom at William Penn, telling all of the students she was a thief and a liar.

Later, the girl's accuser recanted her story.

But many say the damage had already been done.

"She ought to make an apology -- take that kid around like she did when she thought she was guilty, and apologize in front of all the people," said Forward Township resident Terry Cohut.

The girl's family says the principal did apologize -- but not in public, the way they'd hoped.

Outside the polls on election day in Forward Township on Tuesday, the buzz had nothing to do with Election Day and everything to do with Whitby.

Many people are making plans to attend Wednesday's school board meeting at Elizabeth Forward's middle school.

"If you have a question, go fill out a card. It's open to everybody," said school board candidate Clare Guffey.

The school says they cannot comment on disciplinary or personnel matters about students or staff.

One of the saddest parts of the story is that the girl's father says the little girl's sister kicked her out of their room because the principal said she was a bad person.

Wednesday's school board meeting is just a work session. But some residents say that won't stop many from speaking out against what happened.

That could definitely be scarring.

I was scarred in 8th grade by a teacher who called me stupid in front of my algebra class because I froze at the blackboard while she yelled at me for not being able to do the equation. I believe her exact word was 'moron' and she said I was the dumbest girl she'd ever taught. After having been an almost straight A student all those years I nearly failed algebra due to her humiliation which upset me so much I couldn't think.

I took algebra over the next year with a different teacher who was so kind and such a great, clear and compassionate teacher that not only did I get an A the second time around, I also tutored the other people in my class after school.

The teacher makes all the difference. The principal in this article is in the wrong line of work.

I love how the press can take a bad situation and make it worse.

How many appologies should the principal make?

Should the principal be fired?

Should this cost a pound of flesh? Two pounds?

Walking an eight year old kid around through the classes to call this kid a liar and thief to every other student is not accusable. Words can harm alot more than actions. Now she's known by all the students. And although the other girl rejected the accusation, many children will remember this girl.

To fire the prinicipal would not help, maybe for the parents, but not for the rest. But she has to learn that this was a big mistake.

The principal is just wrong in this case. Did she even bother to investigate whether or not there was any truth to the matter? Kids are known to make up stories. This one girl who was accused may definitely be scarred. What the hell was the principal thinking? :confused: I hope she is reprimanded or disciplined...

Since I am a new vice principal I will only say that if this is true, what she did was horribly wrong.

The sad part is, that when something like this happens, people all tend to remember the one or two teachers that stuck it to us.

Everyone over their education has had a bad experience, or witnessed something terrible.

These teachers tend to ruin it and cause the good teaching to be blocked out.

I hope to find out more about this story.

I can only say that I PAINSTAKINGLY investigate everything, to the point where I would say time wise I am using one day out of every week if not a little more to investigate situations and make certain that I am giving every kid the due process they deserve.

Being new to the building, I am finding that children who have reputations for trouble, have much more to their stories. It concerns me that prior reputation may be tainting any chance that these kids have to get back on the right path. It almost sounds like there are prior offences here, ones that would never be brought forward for public knowledge, and the principal over reacted automatically assuming guilt.

I do not think the principal will be fired....I am betting a resignation.

Dread is correct.

Principal resigns after shaming student

ELIZABETH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- An elementary school principal resigned after parents denounced her for parading an 8-year-old girl from class to class after a classmate falsely accused her of stealing $5.

Marlene Whitby, principal at William Penn Elementary School in the Pittsburgh suburb of Elizabeth, Pennsylvania, submitted her resignation Wednesday, and the district's school board accepted it unanimously.

Back
Top Bottom