Prince Harry's speech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silvrlvr

Refugee
I was incredibly moved by it. I lost my dad when I was 14 and I can divide my life into two parts, too. While my dad was ill and his death was not a surprise, it still was an event that changed my life forever. I'm glad she has her boys to look out for her memory, they're her best tribute.

August 31, 2007

Text of Prince Harry's Eulogy
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 8:05 a.m. ET
LONDON (AP) -- The text of Prince Harry's eulogy for his mother, Princess Diana, delivered Friday at a memorial service in London:

William and I can separate life into two parts. There were those years when we were blessed with the physical presence beside us of both our mother and father.

And then there are the 10 years since our mother's death. When she was alive, we completely took for granted her unrivaled love of life, laughter, fun and folly. She was our guardian, friend and protector.
She never once allowed her unfaltering love for us to go unspoken or undemonstrated.

She will always be remembered for her amazing public work. But behind the media glare, to us, just two loving children, she was quite simply the best mother in the world.

We would say that, wouldn't we.

But we miss her. She kissed us last thing at night. Her beaming smile greeted us from school. She laughed hysterically and uncontrollably when sharing something silly she might have said or done that day. She encouraged us when we were nervous or unsure.

She -- like our father -- was determined to provide us with a stable and secure childhood.

To lose a parent so suddenly at such a young age, as others have experienced, is indescribably shocking and sad. It was an event which changed our lives forever, as it must have done for everyone who lost someone that night.

But what is far more important to us now, and into the future, is that we remember our mother as she would have wished to be remembered as she was: fun-loving, generous, down-to-earth, entirely genuine.

We both think of her every day.

We speak about her and laugh together at all the memories.

Put simply, she made us, and so many other people, happy. May this be the way that she is remembered.

It's too recent for me, but I can agree and relate on parts of the speech, and I also would agree on the notion that there is a very clear divide of before and after in my life, my brother's life, and my mother's life.

MSNBC is playing parts of the funeral right now.

I have no idea why her death affected me so much. I was never a royal watcher, and even when her death hit the news, my reaction was pretty much, "Wow, that's really awful. So sad."

But then I found myself watching the funeral on TV and just bawled my damn fool head off. Maybe it was the mass outpouring of grief I was seeing.

Although I don't think I started crying until I saw the envelope propped on the coffin that simply said: Mummy.

(excuse me ... I need a tissue now)

corianderstem said:
Although I don't think I started crying until I saw the envelope propped on the coffin that simply said: Mummy.

Same here, I cried a lot when I saw it, simply because I can relate to it for very personal reasons. Diana's death made me very sad, and it's still upsetting me to think about that day. I thought a lot about her today with all the media reports and remembering going on.

The speech is very moving, thanks for posting.

And Vincent: :hug:

That's a wonderful tribute.

I was always fascinated by Diana, and was stunned and so upset when I heard she had died. I remember being up in the middle of the night to watch the funeral with my mom. I also started bawling when I saw the letter to "Mummy." It was so heartbreaking.

I *was* a royals watcher. Not because I was a monarchist--I wasn't--but because of the history involved. I read magazines about the royal family. I remember staying up all night, posting notes on a special page AOL had. It was a sad occasion.

I also follow the royals because I'm interested in history -- not really for the gossip angle, but because this is a family that has been ruling for 500 years. I was just about to go to bed on the night Diana died when I saw a little news bulletin on AOL's front page that there had been an accident, Dodi was dead and she had been hurt. I didn't cry for her, but I cried when her brother spoke, because he was defending her honor in the face of a royal family that wanted to banish her.

Diana would be very proud of her boys, What a remarkable human being she was. I have been a follower of her from the very beginning, and have 16 scrape books, taken from articles of magazines & newspapers. I also have over some 20 books about her. She will always be remembered for all the good that she did for so many people on the through out the world.

I was a bit of a royal watcher when I was younger, but even then I was surprised by how upset I was when she died. I remember the day she died, and during her funeral. Seeing her sons walking behind her coffin made me bawl. I still feel sorry for them.

Same here as everyone said. I remember watching the news hoping she was ok, I had my first son then and I counldn't even imagine what those two strong brave boys went through. I think they are terrific you men who she would be proud of today.

Watching her funeral that day boy did I cry. It wasn't until then that I realized and like her because we had alot it common with security issues, eating do, etc.

She was lovely and strong even though she didn't think so.

I thought it was a lovely speech, it truly made you see them as just two boys who loved and miss their mother so much. I loved her beauty and style and flaws and vulnerability. I wonder what her life would be like now. Rest in peace.

I remember when Diana died. I was sad for her, and also concerned for her two young sons. Losing a parent is traumatic for children, and with all the stuff the Royal Family was going through at the time, those kids were in for a rough ride. I was glad to see the Royal Family pull themselves together and support the princes through that time.

Back
Top Bottom