Prince Harry Wears Swastika To Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least it was a fancy dress party, at first I thought it was a 'normal' party, that would have been even more strange. :yikes:

It was a dumb thing to do, but I really don't think he meant to be offensive. I knew guys in school who would wear them and do the hile Hitler signal as a joke, like making fun of Hitler, mostly caused by the Monty Python Hitler living in disguise in the boarding house skit, also old Hogan's Heroeos reruns. I'm not taking up for him and I know it's no excuse, but I bet that he was being ironic and meant it as a joke (against Hitler) and never meant to hurt anyone. Of course, as sensitive as this is you really can't do that.

Last edited:
He didn't just 'wear a Swastika to a party' He dressed up as a German Nazi to a fancy dress party. Nothing wrong with that if it were you or I, but it does look like an error of judgement on his behalf.

I think this shows really bad judgment because of his position. I mean, heck, the Queen has to have all of her speeches screened by the government to make sure there's no politics in them. If you're royalty, you're not supposed to be political. If Harry needs help in the costume department he can call me.

A stupid gesture from a stupid kid from a stupid family from a stupid aristrocracy from a stupid ideology that believes they're still needed.

And we, the tax-payers, are still subsidising this stupidity.

Ant.

Anthony said:
A stupid gesture from a stupid kid from a stupid family from a stupid aristrocracy from a stupid ideology that believes they're still needed.

Ant.

I couldn't agree more :up:

Anthony said:

Ant.

it does boggle the mind sometimes.

Anthony said:

Ant.

well said. :up:

Tizer said:
He didn't just 'wear a Swastika to a party' He dressed up as a German Nazi to a fancy dress party. Nothing wrong with that if it were you or I, but it does look like an error of judgement on his behalf.
Nothing wrong? I guess when i would wear it i had a sick mind and no respect for what happend 70 years ago.

For the people who'd like a visual:

genImage.aspx

Knowing how incredibly painful that is to such a huge group of people, I don't know how anyone could ever do that, no matter what the intent was behind it. I don't see how there could be such an utter lack of sensitivity on his part.

He wasn't playing a Nazi in a TV show, play, or whatever, obviously.

I'm amazed that his advisors thought it would be ok to go dressed like that. It's not like he walked into a costume shop and picked it out himself or anything.

Although I think his choice was a little odd, you have to remember that he's only 20 and it was a private party, so I think it's a shame the press got hold of this. I can also feel a little sorry for him knowing that he's got "friends" that took this photo and then flogged it to the press.

I just hope he's not following the example set by his granny's uncle and really IS a Nazi sympathizer

Reminds me of those college kids that wear CCCP or Che Guevara shirts-The sad difference is that those college kids actually think they're being cool while Harry was probably joking(crass and tasteless as it was).

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but at what age should a person know how inappropriate that is?

And private party or not, he must be aware of the possibility that whatever he does can become public. Look what happened to his Mother, he must be aware of that.

Maybe someone was called to Buckingham Palace today...

Anthony said:

Ant.

Maybe he was just rebelling. Hell, Sid Vicious wore a swastika in public, and I heard Bono at a concert mention Sid in the same breath as Hendrix, Morrison, Lennon and Marley during "Pride".

They'll get over it. It would be insane if he was denied acceptance to a school because of this.

AcrobatMan said:
okay .. what is swastika... check out this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

I think the red armband sort of gives it away that he didn't think he was wearing an ancient Hindu fertility symbol.

Let's not kid ourselves about what a swastika means in this day and age.

That being said, the costume was just a joke, but a pretty dumb one.

People that associate the swastika with Bush are not joking, they're just delusional.

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Reminds me of those college kids that wear CCCP or Che Guevara shirts-The sad difference is that those college kids actually think they're being cool while Harry was probably joking(crass and tasteless as it was).

I agree. It's hilarious- Che Guevara is now a big business- think about that one.

I'll refer you to the topic of this post "Prince Harry Wears Swastika To Party"

Yes, but Sid Vicious wasn't a member of the Royal Family or Public figure-head. Nor was he being paid to at least be 'remotely' sensitive to the type of people that are meant to be his subjects.

And by the way, he was accepted to school and finished it - barely. He finished his A levels and was found to have cheated.

Ant.

Back
Top Bottom