Presidential "telephone" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2004, 11:41 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Re: Re: You want "twisting" of words???

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Huh? I mean it's not even the same thing. The Bush quote was only made after a huge amount of pushing...and it was pretty pathetic. He should have denounced the ads (we all know which ones), but this is all he could grudgingly offer. And both quotes are true...there is a big difference right off. Kerry did serve admirably, and he should be proud of his record....and the Bush campaign (and their buddies) have exploited fear and smear tactics. I don't quite see how this example proves your point at all.
That's plain BS. Bush has made the same statement a number of times (without Kerry's prompting). If Kerry wants to paint Bush as "fear and smear" tactics, he's ignoring Bush's statements.

Bush has NO obligation to denounce 3rd party efforts. Kerry has enjoyed the benefits of the efforts by MoveOn and Moore. Bush wasn't crying in the news to make them stop.

It's a shame that Kerry centered his campaign around his Vietnam experience, when it turns out to be so fragile from scrutiny.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:54 AM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Re: You want "twisting" of words???

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Seems that Kerry can talk out of both sides of his mouth quite nicely.

We could fill pages of quotes and how those quotes are taken out of context. But it wouldn't accomplish a thing.
The difference truly lies in the fact that the previous were claiming to quote Kerry, Kerry was stating what many feel to be true. One's an opinion that may or may not be true, the others are examples of truly twisting someone's words.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:45 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Nice spin.

There is no quoting going on, only interpretation. It happens all day long. Of course we can always argue that our guy is more righteous when doing it.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:32 AM   #19
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
It's a shame that Kerry centered his campaign around his Vietnam experience
that's true yes

IMO the biggest problem Kerry has it that he doesn't dare to play the "vote for me because I'm not Bush" strategy (and work in some of your own plans along the way) because this would leave him open for some harsh criticism
but this would probably lead to the best results in the end
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-27-2004, 09:52 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Nice spin.

There is no quoting going on, only interpretation. It happens all day long. Of course we can always argue that our guy is more righteous when doing it.
Where's the spin? The original thread showed quotes from Cheney and Bush saying "my opponent said", they claimed to be quoting him. The one you showed did not. You showed an opinion of Kerry's. It makes a huge difference.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:36 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

They are not "quotes". If they were, the press would have challenged each assertion immediately (instead of a one-sided op-ed piece that was posted). They are paraphrases or interpretations of positions, not quotes.

The same thing happened when Bush thought a national sales tax should be examined further, yet Kerry said Bush wanted to impose the largest tax increase in history. Its all part of politics.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
They are not "quotes". If they were, the press would have challenged each assertion immediately ...
Just like the claims of the Swift Boat Vets? Sadly, the press has taken the attitude that they should just report what both sides are saying rather than trying to find out if what they're saying is true. Whether it's in a news article or a talking heads show, the press feels that if both sides are represented it has done its job, even if one side isn't telling the truth.

Interesting piece from the Columbia Journalism Review:
http://www.campaigndesk.org/archives/000851.asp

They are quotes, though.

Quote:
"My goal, my diplomacy, my statesmanship is to get our troops reduced in number and I believe if you do the statesmanship properly, I believe if you do the kind of alliance building that is available to us, that it's appropriate to have a goal of reducing the troops over that period of time [the first six months of a Kerry administration]. Obviously, we'd have to see how events unfold. . . . It is an appropriate goal to have and I'm going to try to achieve it." -- Kerry, Aug. 9
Here's where he said it:
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id...7Creuters.html

Quote:
"I took exception when my opponent said if he's elected, we'll substantially reduce the troops in six months. He shouldn't have said that. See, it sends a mixed signal to the enemy for starters. So the enemy hangs around for six months and one day. . . . It says, maybe America isn't going to keep its word." -- Bush, Aug. 18
Here's where he said it:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...040818-11.html