Presidential spokesman, Tony Snow - on his way out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
It does not sound good for Mr. Snow. :|

I liked his style when he first came on board.

But, working for this administration seems to take it's toll on people's credibility.

Anyways, my sympathies for him and his family and I am hoping for the best outcome.

White House Spokesman Snow has Recurrence of Cancer (Update6)

By Roger Runningen

March 27 (Bloomberg) -- White House Press Secretary Tony Snow has been diagnosed with recurrence of cancer and the disease has spread to his liver, his deputy said today.

Snow, 51, who was treated for colon cancer in 2005, underwent surgery yesterday afternoon at a Washington area hospital to remove a growth in his lower abdomen that was discovered during a routine exam.

``It's a recurrence of the cancer that he thought that he had successfully dealt with in the past,'' President George W. Bush, who spoke with Snow about 7 a.m. today, said in remarks at the White House. ``His attitude is, one, that he is not going to let this whip him, and he's upbeat.''

Snow announced last week that he would be undergoing surgery to remove the growth in his lower right pelvis. He said initial tests were negative for cancer and that he was having the surgery out of ``an aggressive sense of caution.'' Snow, who lost his mother to colon cancer when he was 17, said he had been getting a checkup every 10 weeks.

Deputy Press Secretary Dana Perino said the cancer recurred in generally the same area where it was discovered in 2005 and had spread to the liver and other areas in his body.

She said Snow would decline further comment until he and his doctors decide the next course of treatment. She added that while Snow seemed in good spirits when she talked with him and helped her prepare for the briefing, his message to the media and others was, ``Don't bug me. I think that included me.''

`Optimism'

Perino fought back tears as she made the announcement this morning at an off-camera briefing for reporters. ``Sorry, it's really hard for us at the White House,'' she said. ``We certainly gain strength from his optimism. He said he's going to beat it again.''

About 10 percent of all colon cancer patients whose disease has spread to the liver or other organs are still alive after five years, according to studies cited by doctors. New drugs and treatment approaches are improving those odds.

The overall survival rate for patients with metastatic colon cancer is two years, doctors say.

Snow's earlier experience with cancer colored his perspective in the White House job. On March 20 he noted that his comment the previous day about whether Attorney General Alberto Gonzales would remain through the rest of Bush's term prompted speculation about the Cabinet secretary's future.

``As a cancer survivor, I don't know if I'm going to be alive at the end of this term,'' Snow said. ``So when you try to put together a question about what's going to happen for the two years, you don't know.''

The day Elizabeth Edwards, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, announced that the breast cancer she was diagnosed with in 2004 had spread, Snow praised her decision to be candid about her situation and continue working with her husband's campaign.

``For Elizabeth Edwards, good going,'' he said at a March 22 White House briefing. ``As somebody who has been through this, Elizabeth Edwards is setting a powerful example for a lot of people, and a good and positive one.''

Snow and his wife, Jill, have three children.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=avBdeTD3b8Mk&refer=home

Hm, he's fighting against all odds.
I wish him good luck and that he can beat this damn cancer.

I hope he beats it. I know of 3 friends who are dying of cancer. 2 of which might not make it before April.

Who says he's on his way out of the administration? He's still there as far as I know. I just tried to ignore the title- maybe it was some sort of retort to what happened to the Elizabeth thread. I don't know, I don't even bother to ask myself why in FYM anymore..

Tony Snow's mother died of colon cancer at the age of 38, when he was only 17.

DaveC said:

how so?

he's on his way out of the administration.

:scratch:

Had his cancer not re-appeared Snow would have been "on his way out" of the administration on January 20,2009 along with everybody else and we wouldn't be talking about this.

However, given that cases of metastatic colon cancer are sometimes terminal I didn't think the thread title was very appropriate. Maybe it's just me. The title lead me to believe that he was resigning or getting fired and it was only upon opening the thread that I found out he's leaving because of cancer.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Who says he's on his way out of the administration? He's still there as far as I know. I just tried to ignore the title- maybe it was some sort of retort to what happened to the Elizabeth thread. I don't know, I don't even bother to ask myself why in FYM anymore..

Tony Snow's mother died of colon cancer at the age of 38, when he was only 17.

My mother died from cancer when she was 40, I was 10.

I few years back I watched a very good friend waste away with liver cancer. At the end he became jaundice , his skin turned yellow.

We are all on our way out. Each day, we are one day closer to our death.

If Tony’s cancer is beyond recovery and he has 24 months,
and he wants to stay on at the Whitehouse that is his business.

If he can beat this back
and have some more time I hope he is
on his way out of his stressful job.

Any Oncologist will tell you to reduce stress as much as possible.

Tony may not admit it, but his job is at the top of the list for stressful jobs.

Of course it is his decision to make.
I hope he chooses to reduce his stress levels.

:bump:

Have y'all seen Tony Snow lately? He's not looking good at all...:(

From April 2006:
4216723955db9.jpg

From July 11, 2007:
4218633872pj9.jpg

Quite a significant change. I hope he's feeling better than he looks...but I would imagine he probably feels pretty awful.

He was sick for a long time, its a shame. :(

May he rest in peace.

Sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. :(

It is "more" note worthy to me when someone dies before what most of us consider a full life. I guess that is somewhere around 80 + - years these days.

I just learned a friend is in hospice with "cancer" he is only a few years older than Tony.

I am Tony's age, I am "luckier" than him today.

He may have had a better life than I will have.

He was a teacher in Kenya for a time. He taught physics and geography.
He also worked as an advocate for the mentally ill and developmentally disabled in North Carolina.

I respect those things,
much more than spinning for the Bush administration.

Back
Top Bottom