Presidential Forum on Faith, Morals and Poverty - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 05:25 AM
Presidential Forum on Faith, Morals and Poverty

http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action...ndidates_forum

I hope some good questions get asked. I'd like see what these candidates have to say about faith, morals and poverty.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Why does it matter what our presidential canidates think of faith? What a horrible idea.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:25 AM
because if the Dems can crack the GOP's Southern strategy and win one or two of the Southern States

the election is theirs

but, you are right
it should not matter

it just does
Old 06-03-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
War Child

BonoVoxSupastar, Please take a look at the information regarding the forum. Jim Wallis who wrote a book called God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn’t Get It. He says:

"We are excited that the leading candidates will be meeting with faithful voters who are hungry for a real conversation about the big moral issues of our time," said Wallis. "The forum will focus on faith and values, with a special emphasis on poverty. This conversation will offer faithful voters insights into each candidate’s moral compass and help to guide their decisions as they consider the candidates running for president of the United States."

I plan on voting so I'd like to get a better idea about the moral compass of who I'm voting for.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by hotpepper
BonoVoxSupastar, Please take a look at the information regarding the forum. Jim Wallis who wrote a book called God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn’t Get It. He says:

"We are excited that the leading candidates will be meeting with faithful voters who are hungry for a real conversation about the big moral issues of our time," said Wallis. "The forum will focus on faith and values, with a special emphasis on poverty. This conversation will offer faithful voters insights into each candidate’s moral compass and help to guide their decisions as they consider the candidates running for president of the United States."

I plan on voting so I'd like to get a better idea about the moral compass of who I'm voting for.
Do you think for some reason, that I didn't look at the info?

All I'm saying is that as a voter I shouldn't care one bit if my president is protestant, catholic, or if he/ she believes that god is an alien.

I should care what their stances on poverty, that's a good thing.

But faith shouldn't matter.

As far as moral compasses go, the funny thing about compasses is they may show you the direction but they don't take you there.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
War Child

I just wanted to let people know about the forum.
Jeez.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Jeez.
Nobody is getting upset here. This is a forum of discussion, that's what happens in here.

No reason to for the "jeez".
Old 06-03-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Jeez.
The funny thing about people of faith, is that the depth of faith of their potential leaders matters to them. It's (gasp) part of their faith !

Thanks for the info, I've followed Wallis's activities for a long time, I think he's a good man with his heart (and brain) in th eright place, I think he'd be a better candidate than almost all the Dems !
Old 06-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

The funny thing about people of faith, is that the depth of faith of their potential leaders matters to them. It's (gasp) part of their faith !

and those who would not self-describe as someone "of faith" would argue that this isn't a good thing.

hey, we've got someone "of faith" in the WH, and look at the unspeakable failure the past 7 years have been. perhaps this is a lesson to choose someone who doesn't trumpet their faith or, more criticially, use it as a rationale as to why they should be elected in the first place.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I've followed Wallis's activities for a long time, I think he's a good man with his heart (and brain) in th eright place, I think he'd be a better candidate than almost all the Dems !

Wallis is consistently impressive, i would agree with that.

and i'd bet you Wallis will be voting democratic in 2008.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I honestly couldn't care less about what religion, if any, a candidate is a member of. Has no impact whatsoever on my voting patterns nor do I find people of a particular faith any more moral in their choices than others. Means nothing to me. In fact, I wish none of them would even openly say.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Presidential Forum on Faith, Morals and Poverty

Quote:
http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action...ndidates_forum

I hope some good questions get asked. I'd like see what these candidates have to say about faith, morals and poverty.
thanks for posting I'm a Jim Wallis fangirl! i wanted to go but i just started my new job last week.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:25 PM
That's pretty... scary.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

There are plenty of "people of faith" that it doesn't matter to as well. To assume those that don't care of their potential leaders religion aren't people of faith is ridiculous.

We elect the person who can do the best job.

Do you care about the faith of the CEO that runs the company you work for?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

To me, a candidate's faith isn't the only reason I vote for them, but I think it's good to know what their faith is. It likely is kind of their foundation for many, if not all, of their beliefs and views, so it can be important. Again, their ability to lead and many other things should factor in, but if we want somebody who will speak and lead for us it's good to know who they are at the core . . . as much as we can tell.

Plus, in an era where the Republicans have hijacked the Christian faith and used it as a political machine and even gone against many Christian principals, it's interesting and refreshing to know where the Democrat candidates stand in their faith. That's why it's a big issue this time around. Jim Wallis and Sojourners are doing a great thing in raising the level of discussion.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Do you care about the faith of the CEO that runs the company you work for?
I was just talking to a guy in my small group at church who is an airtraffic controller. He was talking about how he loves his job, but it can be stressful. He added that his boss is a Christian and it's refreshing to him and they're able to communicate on that level. Now, of course, if his boss wasn't a good leader, that wouldn't matter much, but it does make a difference.