Presidential Address 12/18 2005 - I want your feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I did like that little CNN logo in the lower left-hand corner........it had a little light that travelled thru the logo. Being a photographer, everything was in such proper perspective.......

:|

Well, it was a toss up between the speech and A Very Brady Christmas....

I sure am glad Mike made it out of the construction site collapse alive! :wink:

the rockin edge said:
i didn't watch it...i can't stand watching him

I ended up turning it to Global (Canadian TV network), where they were airing "Family Guy." God bless Canada. :wink:

Melon

Relating to presidential addresses - As a Canadian, I was wondering do Americans generally believe the president is telling the truth and follow him no matter what, regardless of party? I have seen some people respond in that manner when questioned about the what the president is saying. I have noticed some FYMers worship Bush too. Up here, I find many of us think the PM and most politicians are always full of shit, no matter the topic, regardless of the party. I have voted for the Liberals, PCs and NDP in my lifetime.

trevster2k said:
Relating to presidential addresses - As a Canadian, I was wondering do Americans generally believe the president is telling the truth and follow him no matter what, regardless of party? I have seen some people respond in that manner when questioned about the what the president is saying. I have noticed some FYMers worship Bush too. Up here, I find many of us think the PM and most politicians are always full of shit, no matter the topic, regardless of the party. I have voted for the Liberals, PCs and NDP in my lifetime.

Well, I'm a fellow Canadian...but I can tell you that Bush's approval rating is hovering around the 40 percent level...and that's after a recent upsurge! :coocoo:

Personally, I'd love to see him make a special appearance here...Rly!: http://forum.interference.com/t149091.html

I kept hoping he'd say something funny, or mess up, but all I got was a few stuttered words :(

quite frankly, I would have completely forgot about it if it wasn't on after the Simpsons, or whatever I was watching at the time. However.... I think the replies in this thread say quite a bit.

I always enjoy it when a figure like the president of the US is on TV and actually 'visible' like that... but I was left feeling like it was a very empty speech. If I take it seriously, then I'd say his speech was pretty well balanced. I can at least respect Bush, because, I truly believe that in his own mind, what he was saying was something he at least believed in or thought was the right thing to say/do, whatever.

But on the other hand, I find it hard to respect anyone whose eyes are looking at a teleprompter, shuffeling and scurrying about whilst still trying to keep "contact" with a camera. (I liked the old fashioned days, where they had paper infront of them. And when they wanted to branch off on to a topic, you could tell, as per there eyes, and not looking at the paper. But I can't really stand it when people are looking at a prompter and not at the screen.

Makes me want to slap someone in the face, if I were to give in to the :macdevil: within me...

On the whole....... the speech, to me, was......... okay? I don't really know what I was supposed to come away feeling. Yeah, the pres wants stay in Iraq. I know that. I completely disagree about "we have 2 options, win or lose". WHat a pantload, even for politicians. It's not just about America, and it's not "america against the world", either. But I suppose this is just rehashing old hash browns or whatever (which I dislike).

So, in conclusion, I guess I'll say that I always, for some reason, like to see what the president is going to address us about. I wasn't really compelled to watch anything else, but then again, there wasn't anything else on that I wanted to watch, because I was kind of busy as it is.

To describe his address, I personally would choose this: smilie :shrug:

It seems like others would choose another, and that's fine. I wanted people's reactions, and I got them, so I kinda feel spoiled. Oh well, I'll work it off with some self-chastisement. And then a nice warm shower :drool: heh (don't worry about that psuedojoke, I don't think anyone will really get it .... :slant: )

anyhow, thanks for posting.

Oh, I think Americans want to believe everything is right with their world. No bad news or some good news, the approval rating goes up. I also think too many Americans don't want to believe they were so wrong. We do have healthy egos in case you haven't noticed.:wink: (PS. the other party sucks, too)

RE: speech

Didn't watch it, but heard the main points later. Maybe a slight wakening from delusion, but not to worry--it's only temporary. God has chosen him after all.

(PS, do any Canadians think God has chosen their leaders like some of my fellow citizens do?)

I watched it

and he did a pretty good job

he was the most humble I have seen him

he was less strident

he is at 40% approval

iraq is at 60 % disapproval

they would love to move those numbers 15% their way

this may move it a few

George gets a call from God

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/3046/American_Dad_God_and_Bush.html

In regards to how most politicians are viewed by average Canadian:

One day, a fox and a scorpion had to cross a river.

The scorpion looked at the fox and asked: "fox, can you carry me on your back across the river? I can't swim."

The fox replied, "Not a chance, as soon as we get in the water you'll sting me in the back, and i'll drown"

The scorpion promised not to sting the fox, and the two started across the river.

Half way across, the scorpion stung the fox in the back. With his last breath of life, the fox asked, "why did you do that, now we are both going to die"

The scorpion replied: "its in my nature"

Guess who is the scorpion? Of course there a bunch of Canadians who love their political leaders but most of them are in the same party. I don't recall anyone ever suggesting being chosen by God though. But we are really cynical of politicians right now, our voting numbers are dropping every election. One issue up here is the integrity and honesty of politicians as a result of the Sponsorship Scandal but the perception is most have or will lie and do shady things and backroom deals, why do some retired Federal ministers get appointed to corporate boards after returning to private life and then receive vast sums of money, payback for favours.

There is a similar phenomenon occurring in the US too. There were millions of Americans who did not participate in your last election.By not including certain people in campaigns by discussing issues relevant to them, you basically disenfranchise those voters. Up here, the 18-35 vote is totally ignored, the main issues are baby boomer issues. In the US, it seems that the impoverished are being neglected at election time as none of their needs appear to be addressed either.

trevster2k said:

I think this is what a lot of Americans are thinking when he speaks. (Photo from a Bush address to VFW).

i agree with Deep that he seemed as humble as he has ever been, which, given his mindblowing hubris and inability to admit to ever having made a mistake (remember those days?), was a step in the right direction. fixing the mess you made starts with admitting you've made a mess.

however, it was still the same old same old, there was no timeline, no specifics other than platitutdes, no reasons for dead and wounded soldiers than the false linking of Iraq to 9-11 -- he really needs to stop staying that Iraq and the GWOT have anything to do with each other, or at least that the GWOT provided a justification and rationale for the invasion of Iraq. that's the stuff that burns me so -- the manipulation of 3,000 people crushed and burned on the streets of Manhattan to justify an invasion that the American public would never, ever have supported if not for the exploitation of their memory and the trumping up of "mushroom cloud" threats bouyed by cooked intelligence.

but i digress.

i've never seen Bush more humble, and to my mind, more likeable since it's his smirking frat boy rich fuck attitude that makes me dislike him so much personally. he seemed like he was trying to explain to his parents why he wrecked the car, and how it wasn't his fault, and how he was going to pay for it.

We are in a huge mess

The best thing,
would be for some sort of representative government to take root in Iraq

The Administration is obviously negotiating with the Sunnis
They just released a good portion of the "deck of cards"
'Mrs Anthrax' and Dr Germ, members of Saddam's administration are walking free

probably a good thing, as a concession to the Sunnis

Sometimes I fear a success in Iraq would embolden the Neocons to believe they could be ''''king makers" though out the globe.

The U. S. tried this with the Shah in Iran and Marcos in the Philippines and we are still paying the price today

Again I hope for some kind of a success
and not an all out civil war with Iran gaining influence with the Shia
and the Sunnis allied with others in a growing greater regional Civil War

Back to the President

His speech last night on a 1 to 10 was a 9

I heard his press conference today
And it was a disaster, about a 2

He was spooky, all over the emotional and rational maps
at one point the cool, sincere, humble leader we saw last night

and then the lashing out, spoiled child unable to make coherent statements
and calling a pool reporter "Action Jackson" is condescending and belittling and beneath the office he holds.

I will try to watch this on CSpan if it is replayed.
I hope this reporter is not black.

Last edited:
deep said:

you know, i am well aware that this is all rumor and hearsay and not credible at all, but i hear rumors that he's totally lost it. has started drinking again, is on perscription drugs, is isolated, alone, unsure, and depressed and pretty much totally overwhelmed by the job and what he's done with it.

i'm not the slightest bit surprised.

by deep

I heard his press conference today
And it was a disaster, about a 2

and then the lashing out, spoiled child unable to make coherent statements
and calling a pool reporter "Action Jackson" is condescending and belittling and beneath the office he holds.

Irvine511 said:

you know, i am well aware that this is all rumor and hearsay and not credible at all, but i hear rumors that he's totally lost it. has started drinking again, is on perscription drugs, is isolated, alone, unsure, and depressed and pretty much totally overwhelmed by the job and what he's done with it.

hi Irvine,
(i posted more complete quote of what I heard this morning)

I hear what you are saying
They had rumors about Clinton when he was under pressure, too.

I never had much confidence in W. Bush.
I believe he has always delegated much of the decision making to others.

Last night I was able to relate and empathized with him a bit.

I will not let my belief that he is our worst President influence my desire
for the best outcome for Iraq and all parties concerned.

The person I heard this morning will have a much more difficult time gaining support
than the person on TV (and message) last night.

For the sake of all of us, I hope he is sober and of sound judgment.
He has very few good people advising him.
A good portion of the bunch would have been fired or under indictment
if legal and ethical enforcement was not controlled or influenced by one party and their appointees.

deep said:

For the sake of all of us, I hope he is sober and of sound judgment.
He has very few good people advising him.
A good portion of the bunch would have been fired or under indictment
if legal and ethical enforcement was not controlled or influenced by one party and their appointees.

you're absolutely right.

i think the one thing that the Bush presidency has taught me is that the best government is one that is divided and divisive -- single party rule is always bad, no matter which party. if the Dems had the power, they would have weeded out the bad apples in the Bush administration, and we'd all be better for it. and vice versa, if the Dems controlled all branches of government.

Irvine511 said:

you're absolutely right.

i think the one thing that the Bush presidency has taught me is that the best government is one that is divided and divisive -- single party rule is always bad, no matter which party. if the Dems had the power, they would have weeded out the bad apples in the Bush administration, and we'd all be better for it. and vice versa, if the Dems controlled all branches of government.

:up: :up:

deep said:
We are in a huge mess

The best thing,
would be for some sort of representative government to take root in Iraq

The Administration is obviously negotiating with the Sunnis
They just released a good portion of the "deck of cards"
'Mrs Anthrax' and Dr Germ, members of Saddam's administration are walking free

probably a good thing, as a concession to the Sunnis

5h.jpg

Irvine511 said:

Well, without knowing or caring for rumours, the first thing I thought when I saw footage of the speech on the news last night was "He looks like shit".

USA Today editorial

Hard to be humble

47 minutes ago

All U.S. presidents have distinctive styles of communication: inspirational John Kennedy, folksy Jimmy Carter, "feel your pain" Bill Clinton. After the 9/11 attacks, George W. Bush's resolute, no-nonsense style hit a responsive chord that helped drive his approval rating to more than 85%.

But no longer. As the paralyzing terror of Sept. 11, 2001, has faded and the blunders of the Iraq war have become more clear, Bush's poll numbers have plummeted. His never-admit-error, tough-guy-protector stance has become as much a liability as an asset.

In response, the president has gone on a communications offensive. Monday's year-end news conference followed five Iraq speeches in two weeks. At times, he has struck a more conciliatory tone, conceding mistakes in the conduct of the war and in the intelligence that he used to justify it. With an uncharacteristic hint of introspection, Bush acknowledged that some of his decisions had wrecked lives. He spoke of sacrifice, difficulty and continued violence.

On one level, the president is following a tried-and-true approach. As any communications expert can attest, sincerity, candor and humility are powerful ways to win people over.

But recalibration can go only so far. Bush is still Bush. His basic stance remains one of combativeness.

At Monday's news conference, his strident case for warrantless domestic spying - that it's quicker than getting court approval and that it's part of his authority under the Second Amendment - was as unconvincing as it was indefensible.

And Bush continued to insist, wrongly in our view, that the Iraq war was not a mistake - though he rightly argued that premature U.S. withdrawal would be disastrous.

Ultimately, events on the ground in Iraq, many of them beyond the president's control, will be more important than his words and tone. Nonetheless, his communications effort is crucial to maintaining the public and congressional support he will need if his Iraq strategy is to have any chance of succeeding.

Americans don't expect their presidents to be infallible, but they do expect to be leveled with. To the extent Bush is doing this on Iraq and other issues, it's an improvement. So far, though, his new style mainly reminds us of the lyrics from the old Mac Davis song: "Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can."

[q]With an uncharacteristic hint of introspection, Bush acknowledged that some of his decisions had wrecked lives[/q]

great sentence. speaks volumes about the extent to which those in power can be utterly oblivious to the human cost of their projects -- so many arguments made for the war in Iraq completely and totally ignore the human sacrafice because they themselves are never asked to make one. as always, it falls on the backs of the poor and the near poor, many of whom have no way out of their economic situations other than the armed forces. this is not a slam on the armed forces, for they do important work and many people owe their lives and livelihoods to them. it is, however, a slam on those who view the armed forces as little more than pawns on a chessboard.

Back
Top Bottom