President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Refugee
 
Muldfeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 03:28 PM
President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now!

Ahamdinjed will be on Charlie Rose tonight (Monday)

In a few days, you'll be able to watch it on the site in streaming video.
http://www.charlierose.com

Hopefully, he'll show just as much respect and restraint as he did President Bush. I know his statements have been foolish and idiotic regarding the Holocaust and wiping Israel off the map may sound like ethnic cleansing, when he might mean to say he wishes Israel had never been founded and they'd have settled elsewhere, but the reaction has been too much here.

He's nothing like Hitler. And the President of Columbia has yet to bully and embarrass George W. Bush that way, when he deserves it much more. If he does, then I don't mind, but it seems like cheap nationalism to me that conveniently ignores everything the US has done to Iran and it's culture:

Overthrowing PM Mossadeq to ensure oil didn't fall into Soviet hands, and installing the brutal Shah.

Reacting to the Revolution's hostage taking by funding an 8-year war through Iraq and supplying chemical and biological weapons to kill Iranians.

US funding Israel's brutal occupation, but hypocritically opposing Iran's funding of the resistance to Israeli colonization.

Bush threatening war which would kill millions of innocent Iranians with his unnecessarily Axis of Evil speech that put them on the defensive, when they were helping America hunt Al Qaeda and stood with Americans. All Bush can see are enemies, and the American media figures who continue to characterize what Iran does in purely aggressive (and not defensive) actions is only furthering Bush's bullying and a long line of cruel American policy toward the nation.

Ahmadinejad could be an ally. I oppose his oppressive measures and foolish statements, but I have more faith in his sense of reason than George W. Bush, who had all the world ready to follow him, but chose to divide and pursue the dreams of the rich, intolerant, and his own egocentric mad desire for empire.
__________________

__________________
Muldfeld is offline  
Old 09-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Re: President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now!

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld
Ahmadinejad could be an ally. I oppose his oppressive measures and foolish statements, but I have more faith in his sense of reason than George W. Bush, who had all the world ready to follow him, but chose to divide and pursue the dreams of the rich, intolerant, and his own egocentric mad desire for empire.
I think you're blinded by your hatred of Bush, if you believe that (and, for the record, I'm not a Bush supporter).

Ahmadinejad, as I stated in the other thread, has no power. He merely regurgitates the vitriol of the true power of the clerical elite in Iran, led by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. With this being the case, they might as well have a ham sandwich as the "President of Iran," because that sandwich will have just as much say in Iran as anyone else who has held the office of the Presidency in Iran.
__________________

__________________
melon is offline  
Old 09-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Refugee
 
Muldfeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Re: Re: President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now!

Quote:
Originally posted by melon


I think you're blinded by your hatred of Bush, if you believe that (and, for the record, I'm not a Bush supporter).

Ahmadinejad, as I stated in the other thread, has no power. He merely regurgitates the vitriol of the true power of the clerical elite in Iran, led by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. With this being the case, they might as well have a ham sandwich as the "President of Iran," because that sandwich will have just as much say in Iran as anyone else who has held the office of the Presidency in Iran.
I don't deny his lack of power, but we don't really know the nature of power in Iran. I mean, the youth don't officially have power, but freedoms were slowly growing stronger until the fear of America attacking came about and freedoms are sadly being repressed and people are being arrested. If America stays cool and stops pressuring the nation, Iran will slowly reform. Ahmadinjad may have an inspirational role to play in the regime. It's very uncertain, isn't it?
__________________
Muldfeld is offline  
Old 09-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Re: Re: Re: President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now!

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

I don't deny his lack of power, but we don't really know the nature of power in Iran. I mean, the youth don't officially have power, but freedoms were slowly growing stronger until the fear of America attacking came about and freedoms are sadly being repressed and people are being arrested. If America stays cool and stops pressuring the nation, Iran will slowly reform. Ahmadinjad may have an inspirational role to play in the regime. It's very uncertain, isn't it?
Yes, we do know the true nature of power in Iran. This isn't secretive North Korea we're talking about here. Iran's governmental structure has been known for a long time. This is the position of absolute power in Iran:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Leader_of_Iran

The rest is mere posturing and window dressing.

In terms of Iranian freedoms, yes, these were aims of former President Mohammed Khatami, but he only lasted as long as the Iranian clerical elite allowed him to. When push came to shove, the clerical hardliners blocked the bulk of his reforms and flat out forced him and his political party into obscurity during the next election. After all, if all your "reform candidates" are disqualified by the unelected, hardliner "Guardian Council," it's pretty easy to rig an election in your favor.

Iran, in its current state, will never reform beyond the state of window dressing. Not as long as it is dominated by an unelected, autocratic clerical elite.
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 09-25-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
Refugee
 
Muldfeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now!

The fact is there are official laws and power structures and then there's unofficial forces and culture and everyday things that move history, and create opportunities for reform. Officially, Stalin was just the secretary -- not the main leader, right?

I wouldn't trust wikepedia to that degree. People alter stuff all the time. This is not to say you're not knowledgable, though.
__________________
Muldfeld is offline  
Old 09-25-2007, 12:40 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now!

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld
The fact is there are official laws and power structures and then there's unofficial forces and culture and everyday things that move history, and create opportunities for reform. Officially, Stalin was just the secretary -- not the main leader, right?
Iran's power structure is well-documented. There is no red herring here.

Wikipedia just happens to be a convenient and easy source. It is, for the most part, accurate, in this case.
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
New Yorker
 
The Disciple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,589
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Re: Re: President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now!

Quote:
Originally posted by melon


I think you're blinded by your hatred of Bush, if you believe that (and, for the record, I'm not a Bush supporter).

Ahmadinejad, as I stated in the other thread, has no power. He merely regurgitates the vitriol of the true power of the clerical elite in Iran, led by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. With this being the case, they might as well have a ham sandwich as the "President of Iran," because that sandwich will have just as much say in Iran as anyone else who has held the office of the Presidency in Iran.
Completely agreed.... that statement about having more faith in "AMI" is completely bonkers.
__________________
The Disciple is offline  
Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 08:28 PM
Re: Re: President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now!

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

they might as well have a ham sandwich as the "President of Iran," because that sandwich will have just as much say in Iran as anyone else who has held the office of the Presidency in Iran.
And the ham sandwich will probably make more sense.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Re: Re: Re: President of Iran Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose now!

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

And the ham sandwich will probably make more sense.
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com