President gives unwelcome massage to Chancellor of Germany - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I think we know he didn't do it to Tony Blair, at least not in public
How do we know?

Old 07-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

It is unprofessional and sends the message that she is somehow "less than" in front of the world media on a world stage. See Angela, I can touch you whenever I want (not just touch, some sort of bizarre massage which I consider an intimate thing) and it's just that "good ole boy friendly thing"..
That is the attitude you are projecting upon him. But it may not be the attitude with which he did it. Maybe he was just saying "you know, you're alright", whcih is what I think the massage said.

Neither of us can know for sure.

Quote:

If by some bizarre stretch of the imagination I was in her position and the US President did that to me, I would be embarrassed, humiliated, and feel like once again a man has shown less than complete respect for what I have attained. It's really tough to quantify and put into words, I guess I would just hope that men at this point would understand. I don't know what else I can say other than what has already been said here.
Would you honestly feel that strongly if the President was a personal friend, and not a stranger?

Old 07-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:25 PM
Quote:

It is unprofessional and sends the message that she is somehow "less than" in front of the world media on a world stage. See Angela, I can touch you whenever I want (not just touch, some sort of bizarre massage which I consider an intimate thing) and it's just that "good ole boy friendly thing". If by some bizarre stretch of the imagination I was in her position and the US President did that to me, I would be embarrassed, humiliated, and feel like once again a man has shown less than complete respect for what I have attained. It's really tough to quantify and put into words, I guess I would just hope that men at this point would understand. I don't know what else I can say other than what has already been said here.

I think we know he didn't do it to Tony Blair, at least not in public

When and if the G8 Summit is renamed the Alpha Busha Omega frat party and pig roast and filmed for Girls Gone Wild, then it won't be an issue I guess.
Haven't seem him do it to his buddy Putin either. In fact, he did this to the only "little lady" in the room.

I am amazed that Bush supporters want to defend him on this. I would not defend a politician I admire on this issue.

As others have said, I also don't think Bush had conscious ill intentions. He's just clueless, inappropriate, and undignified.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I am amazed that Bush supporters want to defend him on this. I would not defend a politician I admire on this issue.

As others have said, I also don't think Bush had conscious ill intentions. He's just clueless, inappropriate, and undignified.
Most of us aren't defending him as much as saying "it's not sexual harassment". I have said that it was "stupid" and a "faux pas".
Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

How do we know?
I am assuming since there were cameras there, if he did it would be in a photo or on tape. Even if he did do it to him, that would not make it acceptable to do it to her. As a man and as US President, he needs to be sensitive in his dealings with women in positions of power. That is the bottom line for me-trust me, I am not merely looking for something to attack Bush about. To say that really questions my integrity. It is an important issue for me as a woman-period, end of story.

A male friend can massage me all he wants in private with my consent-not in public in my place of work in front of the whole world.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

That is the bottom line for me-trust me, I am not merely looking for something to attack Bush about. To say that really questions my integrity.
Never did I say that you are merely looking for something to criticize Bush about. I wouldn't say that about you. From previous posts of mine, you know that I really respect you and do not question your integrity.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

It is an important issue for me as a woman-period, end of story.

A male friend can massage me all he wants in private with my consent-not in public in my place of work in front of the whole world.
see below; double post
Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

It is an important issue for me as a woman-period, end of story.

I understand completely, and am not questioning that. I am simply saying that I think his intentions probably were not bad, as some in this thread seem to think.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

An asshole doesn't walk around knowing he's an asshole. A chauvinist male sees the appropriate way to view women but turns a blind eye to it, or often views it as weak.

How often do you hear a racist say he's a racist? No one comes out and admits they're sexist, or homophobe, etc... They are all somehow justified in their mind.
Is intent required to label someone as racist, sexist, homophobe? Or is it a matter of strict liability - no intent required.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #145
Blue Crack Supplier

(this thread is unbelievable)
Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Bush's Back Rub Magnified in Cyberspace

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- An impromptu back rub that President Bush gave German Chancellor Angela Merkel is now massaging millions of funny bones.

A 5-second video and series of photographs recently posted on YouTube.com and various blogs show Bush surprising Merkel at the G-8 Summit by quickly rubbing the back of her neck and shoulders. The chancellor immediately hunches her shoulders, throws her arms up and grimaces, though she appears to smile as Bush walks away.
Millions of funny bones....
Old 07-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Bush's Back Rub Magnified in Cyberspace

Millions of funny bones....
Well this just confirms it; millions of people are idiots.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Perhaps it's that millions of people are capable of laughing at the situation and not turning it into a national crisis.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

or, perhaps millions of people didn't think he could embarass them any more than he already has.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #150
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Is intent required to label someone as racist, sexist, homophobe? Or is it a matter of strict liability - no intent required.
Do you mean someone intends to be a racist? I don't understand your line of questioning.