President George W. Bush is our commencement speaker.... - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2005, 08:40 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

BTW I am surprised to see how many Calvin folks are around. Shouldn't you be out smoking?
Maybe if I had the slightest clue what you were talking about I could answer.....

Old 04-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Maybe if I had the slightest clue what you were talking about I could answer.....

Long running Calvin joke (at least it was when I was there) that so many take up smoking at Calvin cause there is so little to do in the winter months.

Sounds like you have a bit of angst happening - exam time?

Old 04-27-2005, 08:31 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

Long running Calvin joke (at least it was when I was there) that so many take up smoking at Calvin cause there is so little to do in the winter months.
Hmm, yeah, I guess a lot of people do smoke here. But I don't really notice it since I don't live or hangout on campus, just here for work and class. I'm not really sure why so many people take up smoking in college.....I don't have any good friends who have, but I know a lot of people here do.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Angtre01
John Kerry would have been a good leader. You guys are a joke. He is your commander in chief, show some respect.
I wouldn't show respect for a CIC when he never armed them proprly from not enough protective bodyarmour to not enough heavier aremored vehicles, to cutting benifits for almost all veterans...... He doesn't deserve it, becuause he doesn't respect our fighting forces/or their various backup people.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Man, things are REALLY heating up around here!

It looks like there's no way I'll get a ticket. Rumor has it that a ticket swap of one FAC ticket (sit in an auditorium and watch the live telecast on the big screen) for one Fieldhouse ticket (see Bush live) cost $300 under the table. I can't imagine how much people are straight up buying them for.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
[B]
Your post made me laugh.

Do you see the irony in your post?

W. is the only "Commander in Chief"

that failed to complete his service.

[B]

yeah, he didn't even complete it and he was in the "chaMPAIGN uNIT" {A UNIT THAt known for the fact that noone would be sent over tio vietbam....
Old 04-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Do you have to sign a loyalty oath to go to your commencement?

Melon
Old 04-30-2005, 09:16 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Do you have to sign a loyalty oath to go to your commencement?

Melon
Uh.....I don't know what that is so I'm guessing no. I'm only a junior this year, but I wasn't planning on walking next year just b/c that means you have to stick around and do all this "seniors" garbage, pay for your cap and gown, etc. I just don't really care all that much about big ceremonies and celebrations. My parents have never been the type to obsess over accomplishments. We all do what we have to do to get by. They won't be disappointed if I choose not to walk.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Well, today was quite the calm before the storm. Hardly anyone on campus anywhere, except people like me who are already getting into the swing of working full time all summer, and the secret service people who've been snooping around all week. It was very sunny and warmed up a bit. The grass is pristinely mowed and all of the landscaping is in order.

I'm told there will be a protest march tomorrow, from the nearby shopping mall down the East Beltine (busy street/highway that cuts through part of our campus). They can't come on the campus b/c it's private property, thank God.

There's been a deluge of hate mail and hate phone calls flooding in this past week to pretty much anyone who works or teaches. Many alumni and donors have threatened to pull their kids out of school (like that's the parents decision anyway) or stop donating.

Two of our more liberal professors were on Sean Hannity the other day and were, of course, ripped to shreds.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:19 PM   #85
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Personally I'm not sure why anyone would want this man to give any type of speech. Even a lot conservatives agree the man can't speak.

I saw the man give a commencement speech at my college. Not my graduation but my cousin's. This is a VERY coservative college which now is home to the George Bush senior library. It was right before his election. He was govenor of TX and son of GB so "everyone" loved him. His speech was horrible and I'm not saying this because I don't like the man but even my very Republican parents said "that man can't speak". He used it too much for his campaign and was overall just boring.

I know having a president is exciting and all, but I'd much rather have someone who really knows what it means to fight for life, a cause, has passion...someone to deliver the speech that sends you off to the real world. Face it GWB has never faced the REAL world, why would you want him to give your speech?

Just my opinion.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:54 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 PM
I can see why a conservative school would want Bush as a speaker, even if he's not a very good speaker.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:11 AM   #87
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:34 PM
And to all you C students out there, I want to tell you...someday you, too, could become President of the United States.
--George W. Bush, in a commencement speech at Yale

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:34 PM
off topic-
Do Calvinists still believe in 'predestination'?

db9
Old 05-21-2005, 07:18 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
off topic-
Do Calvinists still believe in 'predestination'?

Yes, we do. Most of the students at my school aren't true Calvinists though. Most people in general have misunderstood Calvin's "predestination".

BVS, I agree, the man's a terrible speaker. I gues my answer would be, we weren't really trying to get him to come to our school, but were contacted by the White House and accepted their offer to have him speak. This is actually not the first time he's been here. I believe we hosted a Republican primary debate in 2000.

We are actually not much of a conservative school. Traditional, yes, but conservative (religiously and politically)...not really.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #90
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

but were contacted by the White House and accepted their offer to have him speak. This is actually not the first time he's been here. I believe we hosted a Republican primary debate in 2000.
I do not believe Colleges or Universities are the place to hold partisan political events. I believe education should be separate from partisan politics.