President George W. Bush is our commencement speaker.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #16
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Let's try to keep this on a non-personal basis. Everyone is free to agree or disagree with Bush, but can we talk about the more specific issue of him speaking at LivLuv's graduation?

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #17
New Yorker

A lot of the faculty is, to put it lightly, not very happy about it. Liberals and conservatives alike (they're mostly conservative, actually).

Nick Wolterstorff was supposed to be the speaker (anyone outside of CRC circles heard of him?), I feel bad for him getting bumped at the last minute.

I work for development and we've already been absolutely bombarded with people calling and being like "I'll donate lots of money to your school if you get me a ticket."

And LivLuv, you should be disturbed.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I think it is an honor to have the President speak at your graduation, regardless of what you may think of what he stands for or what he says. I would never not go, you will really regret it later in life.

Well said.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:56 AM
I'd go, for sure, it's graduation. But I'd probably be grimacing and twitching throughout
Old 04-21-2005, 01:11 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i like how everyone automaticly assumes that she dislikes bush...
Thanks Headache. I kinda had to post and run b/c I was excited, but late for class. Anyway, I don't hate Bush (or Kerry); I'm as Republican as they come. I don't particularly like him either, but....whatever, that's not the point. I'm not part of the graduating class. Apparently there's a lot of students protesting, so I'm hoping to score a ticket. I'll have to decide what it's worth to me though, b/c around here you pay cash for extra tickets even if someone lame is coming to speak. There's so many controversies coming out now. Some people are just pissed b/c they're STILL bitter about the election. To them I say, grow up. Shut up and give your ticket to someone who wants to go, simple enough. I don't see the need for protests b/c 1) they won't change a thing 2) it's a commencement speech, not a political campaign and 3) protests just become a pain in the ass for the school admin and people working security. Others are kinda pissed b/c we had Rehnquist speak a while back and he delivered pretty much the WORST speech known to man (one of my Prof's said she heard him give the EXACT same commencement speech 10 years earlier) so the school kinda decided to not invite people that didn't actually have some connection to the school. Bush doesn't exactly have a connection to our school, just to much of the surrounding local community (I've heard Alticor gives more $$$ to the Republican party than anyone else in the US).
Old 04-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #21
Acrobat

Hey, it's the President speaking. I voted for Bush but if Kerry had won and was speaking at my graduation then I would be excited. I do not see any reason to get bent out of shape because you disagree with the President's policies. Usually commencement speakers are boring-to have the leader of the free world as the speaker is uber cool.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
Hey, it's the President speaking. I voted for Bush but if Kerry had won and was speaking at my graduation then I would be excited. I do not see any reason to get bent out of shape because you disagree with the President's policies. Usually commencement speakers are boring-to have the leader of the free world as the speaker is uber cool.
Yes, my feelings exactly. If Kerry came, even the way things are now, I'd be just as interested in going.

PS. I never said I disagreed w/ his policies. By "disturbed" I meant it seems weird to me that he picked Notre Dame, Yale (duh), and.......Calvin College, a small Christian Reformed college w/ no direct connection to G-dubs.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Actually, I remember sort of being glad I was a December graduate because we didn't have a speaker at December commencement. I used to hear alot of complaints about boring commencement speeches when I was a student.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Wow, that's impressive! You sure got a big name!

Of course, Bono would have been bigger
This is what I and a classmate in my CAS 240 thought. She's like "....I wonder if we could get Bono next year.....". Now the expectations will be set pretty high, although I heard on the sidewalk that the White House called us to see if Bush could speak. Maybe Ellen knows if that's true....
Old 04-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I'd go, for sure, it's graduation. But I'd probably be grimacing and twitching throughout
Cause you realized how sexy W is......
Old 04-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Calvin College, a small Christian Reformed college
I think you answered your own question ... it's appealing to "the base"
Old 04-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't assume she dislikes Bush- but the fact that she said this "I don't know whether to be flattered or disturbed" just gave the impression that she was torn or something, that's all
Old 04-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I'd go just to watch him try to pronounce commencement.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by njelevation06
Bono was the commencement speaker here at Penn last year .... really really cool
Yup, I was there... I will always be able to say that Bono was my commencement speaker

Funny that he will be in Philly exactly one year after his commencement speech for the first Philly show.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Angtre01
John Kerry would have been a good leader. You guys are a joke. He is your commander in chief, show some respect.
Actually, he's the military's Commander in Chief. Not mine.