President Carter-Bush Exploited 9/11 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2004, 03:51 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Although I prefer to discuss the principles behind the issues, it seems that many of these election related threads turn into partisian lob fests. If you want more in-depth discussion of issues, I'm all for it.

Given the number of brief posts made in this forum by the various participants, I wonder why mine get your attention?

Old 10-25-2004, 03:54 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Have you ever spent any time in the UK or read The Guardian? To imply it's the equivalent of the Enquirer is just about the most ignorant thing I've heard all week. Perhaps you're thinking of the Daily Mirror?

Old 10-25-2004, 04:07 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Have you ever spent any time in the UK or read The Guardian? To imply it's the equivalent of the Enquirer is just about the most ignorant thing I've heard all week. Perhaps you're thinking of the Daily Mirror?
Consider the context of my comment before you start calling people ignorant. Hiphop was referring to the Coulter thread and implying that the sensationalistic writing of the Guardian could be done for revenue generation (suggesting I would agree with his statement). I would agree with Hiphop if the Guardian was in the business of sensationalistic headlines (in the same vein as the Inquirer).

Since the Guardian is not, it appears that there are some sick writing for the Guardian.

For Hiphop to tie the two quotes, taken from separate threads and in different context, was misleading.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Consider the context of my comment before you start calling people ignorant.
I said it was an ignorant thing to say, not that you were ignorant. Consider re-reading my statement before putting words into my mouth next time, thank you.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:44 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I said it was an ignorant thing to say, not that you were ignorant. Consider re-reading my statement before putting words into my mouth next time, thank you.
I think your statement speaks for itself and what it implies. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:50 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Hey, if that's what floats your boat, I will not raise an objection.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:50 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Although I prefer to discuss the principles behind the issues, it seems that many of these election related threads turn into partisian lob fests. If you want more in-depth discussion of issues, I'm all for it.

Given the number of brief posts made in this forum by the various participants, I wonder why mine get your attention?
I don´t care for partisan fests. I am not going to the election, I am not really in love and in bed with Kerry, I just think he´s the better choice - and "better" is already mixed with a grain of cynicism, I´d rather say "not the worst choice of all".

Your post got my attention because you were contradicting yourself - "From the paper that wants to bring back presidential assassination.... " and "it is sensationalism to sell papers".

I could have replied to Headache too, because I think it is a shame that he tells a former U.S. President to fuck off. I wonder if he would have the nerve to tell this to Carter personally. I doubt it. But I can just speak for myself - if Bush wanted to invite me for supper to talk about foreign policy, I would definitely go there. I would be very nice. However, I think it´s not gonna happen.

Anyway, you can see that this potential reply to Headache would have been complicated and kind of vague, so I decided to leave it at that: instead I chose to post some facts about Carter´s political victories and mistakes. So maybe even Headache realizes that Carter was a U.S. President and therefore he should be, well,... respected? by U.S. citizens up to a certain point.

Anyway, I agree with most of the other posters. So there is no reason to post and say "I agree" - if I always did that, I would have 10,000 posts, not 4,000.

I am always for in-depth discussion about issues.

There´s no need to think I "picked you" because you are conservative and I am a Christian "leftist". I picked your post because I had interesting discussions with you in the past.

The whole BS of American society divided into two parts is very interesting for me, because it might lead to a critical mass - and Americans never were that critical before. I see a great new quality arising, there are many open-minded Americans who openly question the policies of their leaders.

But generally, I don´t flame conservatives for being conservative. It´s just too low-key for my intellectual qualities. I am not a Moore type who makes fun of his opponents. However, I appreciate Moore´s recherche. I read the Guardian just as much as the Economist, if I want to. I´m all for Bono speaking out in behalf of Africans, but I take the right to critisize him when he does too many "rockstar" - remarks. Call me what you want, I make up my own mind.

I guess ultimately I picked you because I want you to find back to your quality of serious, informed discussion.

I am worried. I don´t know who´s been fooling with your mind in the last months - I just assume it´s the heated political climate. Not Interference at all, but real life. Maybe you´ve been supporting your party and you heard so much anti-anti crap that you start to adopt the same way of argumenting.

Mind you, that´s just an uninformed assumption! You don´t need to defend yourself, I am not attacking you! Maybe it´s all different, and you are just sick of going round explaining your view, and prefer to be short and clear about your preferences - after all, who needs arguments - you got your leader.

Since I consider you a nice person to talk to, I just wanted to warn you. To give your argumentation a little push in the right direction, away from party rhetorics.

I would have preferred to write the reply to your question in a private message, but I am not premium. Sorry for that.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:52 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Just a little add-on: I never read the Inquirer, so I assumed it was a serious conservative newspaper. Hah!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:11 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Hiphop,

I appreciate you comments. I guess there is something to be said for jumping into the conversations less frequently. I find that my time on the board is directly related to the amount of pressure at work - more pressure, more posting. Doesn't make sense, really, other than that is the way my brain works. Being in the "minority" leaves me with fewer opportunities to say "I agree".

In the real world, I am mostly apolitical and have never contributed to a party or a political cause. I'd rather spend time with family, friends, church, etc. than work on a campaign and would rather give money to better causes than politics.

When I do jump into the frey, I hope to simply challenge the conventional wisdom or popular thought of the moment. Sometimes it turns into a good discussion on principle. With the election, it has not been the case as often.

Regarding American society, I think we have always been critical of our leaders (Johnson & Nixon especially). Technology has only increased the intensity of the discussion, bringing more people into instant touch with information and beliefs.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:12 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Just a little add-on: I never read the Inquirer, so I assumed it was a serious conservative newspaper. Hah!
If you want the latest on Bigfoot sightings (a Yeti like creature of the Pacific Northwest), the Inquirer is for you!
Old 10-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Hey, if that's what floats your boat, I will not raise an objection.

Well, if that's the way you play, so be it.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #27
War Child

I think the President has every right to bring to light what is a defining moment of his Presidency and this country. But this is just my opinion.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:06 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:03 AM
All I will say is:

I LOVE JIMMY CARTER - one of the most truthful and compassinate politicians EVER in the USA and a man of the utmost personal INTEGRITY and DEEP FAITH.

A man who won't steer you wrong -

Thanks Mrs. Springsteen - UP BRUCE!