President Bush's press conference... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 AM
President Bush's press conference...

Are his tone/mannerisms scaring anyone else in here? He seems angry and agitated. Dude, deep breaths...chill out...

Old 03-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I think he's on something

I've never seen him act this...weird.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I stopped watching Bush's press conferences years ago. I thought after awhile I'd seen them all. He's always saying the same thing, never admitting he made any mistakes, etc, etc. I'm fed up.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:33 AM
partial transcript

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/...ipt/index.html

I Helen Thomas. This was her question

QUESTION: I'd like to ask you, Mr. President -- your decision to invade Iraq has caused the deaths of thousands of Americans and Iraqis, wounds of Americans and Iraqis for a lifetime.

Every reason given, publicly at least, has turned out not to be true. My question is: Why did you really want to go to war? From the moment you stepped into the White House, your Cabinet officers, former Cabinet officers, intelligence people and so forth -- but what's your real reason? You have said it wasn't oil, the quest for oil. It hasn't been Israel or anything else. What was it?

BUSH: I think your premise, in all due respect to your question and to you as a lifelong journalist -- that I didn't want war. To assume I wanted war is just flat wrong, Helen, in all due respect.

QUESTION: And...

BUSH: Hold on for a second, please. Excuse me. Excuse me.

No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true.

My attitude about the defense of this country changed on September the 11th. When we got attacked, I vowed then and there to use every asset at my disposal to protect the American people.

Our foreign policy changed on that day. You know, we used to think we were secure because of oceans and previous diplomacy. But we realized on September the 11th, 2001, that killers could destroy innocent life.

And I'm never going to forget it. And I'm never going to forget the vow I made to the American people, that we will do everything in our power to protect our people.

Part of that meant to make sure that we didn't allow people to provide safe haven to an enemy, and that's why I went into Iraq.( more to follow)
Old 03-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:33 AM
^that was a very good question

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I stopped watching Bush's press conferences years ago.

same here

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Old 03-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

That was a good question. He immediately got into the linking of 9/11 with the Iraqi invasion--not right!! I wish he'd stop this stupid stuff. Saddam and Al Qaeda never worked with each other. They can't stand each other.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

"Afghanistan provided safe haven for Al Qaida. That's where they trained, that's where they plotted, that's where they planned the attacks that killed thousands of innocent Americans.

I also saw a threat in Iraq. I was hoping to solve this problem diplomatically. That's why I went to the Security Council. That's why it was important to pass 1441, which was unanimously passed.

And the world said, "Disarm, disclose or face serious consequences." And therefore, we worked with the world. We worked to make sure that Saddam Hussein heard the message of the world.

And when he chose to deny the inspectors, when he chose not to disclose, then I had the difficult decision to make to remove him. And we did. And the world is safer for it."
Old 03-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
"then I had the difficult decision to make to remove him. And we did. And the world is safer for it."
Old 03-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I met Helen Thomas in 1985. She is awesome.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I met Helen Thomas in 1985. She is awesome.
I met her once in 1996. It's a pity that today's American journalists don't have an ounce of the backbone that she has had.

Melon
Old 03-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

She does rock. She always has the best questions that get right to the heart of the matter, and its great to watch people squirm in trying to respond.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #12
New Yorker

Re: President Bush's press conference...

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Are his tone/mannerisms scaring anyone else in here? He seems angry and agitated. Dude, deep breaths...chill out...

He is scary. I think he's losing it. He can't take any dissent.

PS - I love your avatar, my favorite WW cutie.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Refugee

2008 ? ? ?

Old 03-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
partial transcript

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/...ipt/index.html

I Helen Thomas.
Me too. Thanks for the post. I heard part of it but then I had to take a phone call at work. How dare they!

She is a pleasure. I've missed her. Bet he won't call on her again for a long time.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:11 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Bush is so full of shit is his eyes are brown. He didn't even attempt to answer Helen Thomas' ballsy question. This is probably Bush's last press conference for a while so his people tossed her a bone and he was coached on how to dodge the question. She didn't even "assume" he wanted war, she just asked why? He of course reacted defensively since he is certainly aware of her views towards him.

Plan for victory? Please, he has been saying this day one and now reporters are afraid to go out and get stories in Iraq because it's too dangerous. They get most of their information second-hand. Watch a reporter from Baghdad, where are they, on a balcony with the city in the background. But they are making progress, instead of 50 Iraqi policemen being killed each week, it's only 19-25 policemen. Super!!

I remember after the last election people were suggesting at least he has to clean up his own mess this time in reference to his past anemic business endeavours. Well, apparently not, he will ride this out until he is out of office and the next president can deal with how to get out. The next president is screwed with having to deal with all the crap Bush will leave.

Yes, I hate Bush, no secret. His mannerisms, his chickenshit speeches in front of friendly audiences, and his utterly failing policies make me wonder how the most powerful office in the world can be held by such a person. I am stunned at how so few openly confront him on his policies like last week's National Security Strategy. Umm, yeah, let's keep the premptive strike concept cause it worked so well with Iraq which had no WMD and no connection to 9/11. Why doesn't every other country in the world adopt the same policy?