President Bush's press conference...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stopped watching Bush's press conferences years ago. I thought after awhile I'd seen them all. He's always saying the same thing, never admitting he made any mistakes, etc, etc. I'm fed up. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

partial transcript

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/21/bush.transcript/index.html

I :heart: Helen Thomas. This was her question

QUESTION: I'd like to ask you, Mr. President -- your decision to invade Iraq has caused the deaths of thousands of Americans and Iraqis, wounds of Americans and Iraqis for a lifetime.

Every reason given, publicly at least, has turned out not to be true. My question is: Why did you really want to go to war? From the moment you stepped into the White House, your Cabinet officers, former Cabinet officers, intelligence people and so forth -- but what's your real reason? You have said it wasn't oil, the quest for oil. It hasn't been Israel or anything else. What was it?

BUSH: I think your premise, in all due respect to your question and to you as a lifelong journalist -- that I didn't want war. To assume I wanted war is just flat wrong, Helen, in all due respect.

QUESTION: And...

BUSH: Hold on for a second, please. Excuse me. Excuse me.

No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true.

My attitude about the defense of this country changed on September the 11th. When we got attacked, I vowed then and there to use every asset at my disposal to protect the American people.

Our foreign policy changed on that day. You know, we used to think we were secure because of oceans and previous diplomacy. But we realized on September the 11th, 2001, that killers could destroy innocent life.

And I'm never going to forget it. And I'm never going to forget the vow I made to the American people, that we will do everything in our power to protect our people.

Part of that meant to make sure that we didn't allow people to provide safe haven to an enemy, and that's why I went into Iraq.( more to follow)

That was a good question. He immediately got into the linking of 9/11 with the Iraqi invasion--not right!! I wish he'd stop this stupid stuff. Saddam and Al Qaeda never worked with each other. They can't stand each other.

"Afghanistan provided safe haven for Al Qaida. That's where they trained, that's where they plotted, that's where they planned the attacks that killed thousands of innocent Americans.

I also saw a threat in Iraq. I was hoping to solve this problem diplomatically. That's why I went to the Security Council. That's why it was important to pass 1441, which was unanimously passed.

And the world said, "Disarm, disclose or face serious consequences." And therefore, we worked with the world. We worked to make sure that Saddam Hussein heard the message of the world.

And when he chose to deny the inspectors, when he chose not to disclose, then I had the difficult decision to make to remove him. And we did. And the world is safer for it."

Dreadsox said:
I met Helen Thomas in 1985. She is awesome.

I met her once in 1996. It's a pity that today's American journalists don't have an ounce of the backbone that she has had.

Melon

U2democrat said:
Are his tone/mannerisms scaring anyone else in here? He seems angry and agitated. :yikes: Dude, deep breaths...chill out...

He is scary. I think he's losing it. He can't take any dissent.

PS - I love your avatar, my favorite WW cutie.

Bush is so full of shit is his eyes are brown. He didn't even attempt to answer Helen Thomas' ballsy question. This is probably Bush's last press conference for a while so his people tossed her a bone and he was coached on how to dodge the question. She didn't even "assume" he wanted war, she just asked why? He of course reacted defensively since he is certainly aware of her views towards him.

Plan for victory? Please, he has been saying this day one and now reporters are afraid to go out and get stories in Iraq because it's too dangerous. They get most of their information second-hand. Watch a reporter from Baghdad, where are they, on a balcony with the city in the background. But they are making progress, instead of 50 Iraqi policemen being killed each week, it's only 19-25 policemen. Super!!

I remember after the last election people were suggesting at least he has to clean up his own mess this time in reference to his past anemic business endeavours. Well, apparently not, he will ride this out until he is out of office and the next president can deal with how to get out. The next president is screwed with having to deal with all the crap Bush will leave.

Yes, I hate Bush, no secret. His mannerisms, his chickenshit speeches in front of friendly audiences, and his utterly failing policies make me wonder how the most powerful office in the world can be held by such a person. I am stunned at how so few openly confront him on his policies like last week's National Security Strategy. Umm, yeah, let's keep the premptive strike concept cause it worked so well with Iraq which had no WMD and no connection to 9/11. Why doesn't every other country in the world adopt the same policy?

Helen Thomas was on the Situation Room last night, he hasn't called on her in 3 years! She has called him the worst President ever- she said that off the record and it wasn't meant to be public.

"THOMAS: My goals are to seek the truth, wherever it leads me. And I do think that's the goal of journalists, and I think we fell down on the job."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0603/21/sitroom.02.html

"BLITZER: And you asked him a tough question. Did you accept his answer? Namely, that he didn't come into the presidency believing he was going to go to war against Saddam Hussein, but after 9/11 his world view changed?

THOMAS: It doesn't -- it doesn't parse. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, it certainly had -- was secular, it was not tied to al Qaeda.

I think he wanted to go into Iraq because he had all the neo- conservatives advising at the top of their agenda for Project for a New American Century. First Iraq, then Iran -- then Syria, then Iran, and so forth.

BLITZER: So you believe even before 9/11, he was about -- he wanted to take out Saddam Hussein? THOMAS: Oh, I think this is very clear. You couldn't sit in that press room day after day. Every time -- every time it was mentioned by Ari Fleischer or Scott, they would say in one breath, 9/11, Saddam Hussein, 9/11, Saddam Hussein.

I don't -- I don't blame the American public for thinking there was a tie.

BLITZER: So you don't accept his answer today? You think, what, he was still spinning? Is that what you're suggesting?

THOMAS: It wasn't that. I think maybe in his own mind he didn't, but I think that everybody knows, everybody who was in the know, knows that Iraq was on target, it was on the radar screen from the moment he came into office. The Treasury secretary says it, people in CIA say it, and so forth .

Nothing would deter him. It was a very big goal.

BLITZER: You're thinking of Paul O'Neill, the former Treasury secretary.

THOMAS: Yes.

BLITZER: Richard Clarke, who was one of the counterterrorist advisers...

THOMAS: Right.

BLITZER: ... who have made those kinds of suggestions."

I couldn't believe he said that "future President" thing, it would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad

A generous Bush always thinking of others

By David Martin | March 23, 2006

DURING A RECENT news conference, George W. Bush let it be known that the decision to end the US military presence in Iraq will not be his. Instead, according to Bush, it will be for ''future presidents" to decide.

Barely reliable sources note a possible post-conference follow-up in which Bush plans to leave a number of other decisions to future presidents, preferably Democrats.

''As far as the increasing national debt," said Bush, ''future presidents will have to tackle that problem."

''Given the precarious state of the economy," said the US president, ''it would be irresponsible of me to interfere at this point in time. I really think it's best if someone else handles it."

Suspending tax cuts for the wealthy is another issue apparently best left to future presidents.

''I handed out those tax cuts," said Bush. ''So how would it look if all of a sudden I took them back? Again, I think it's better that someone new make that decision."

The end of the war on terror has also been deferred.

''My speech-writers tell me that it's unrealistic to expect a war on a concept to end any time soon," said President Bush. ''So I'll leave that one to a future president to deal with as well."

When questioned about his administration's ill-fated prescription drug plan, Bush again deferred.

''It's obviously way too early to do something about that," said the president. ''Tinkering with the plan now could make the situation even worse. Best to let some future president try to fix it."

Gulf Coast residents hoping to get some immediate hurricane relief will also have to wait for another day.

''The worst thing to do at this point is to throw more money at the problem," said Bush. ''Better to wait a few years and see where help is really needed. Then some future president can clean up the mess."

Asked how he intends to spend his remaining political capital, the president said that he would not be undertaking any major new initiatives in the next two years. ''Let's face it," said Bush. ''Anything I tried to do now would just need to be fixed up by some future president anyway. I think it's best for the nation if I just do nothing." :lol:

David Martin is author of the satiric collection ''My Friend 'W'."

Drudge Report

**Exclusive**!!!! (those are mine :wink: )

A top producer at ABC NEWS declared "Bush makes me sick" in an email obtained by the DRUDGE REPORT.

John Green, currently executive producer of the weekend edition of GOOD MORNING AMERICA, unloaded on the president in an ABC company email obtained by the DRUDGE REPORT.

"If he uses the 'mixed messages' line one more time, I'm going to puke," Green complained.

The blunt comments by Green, along with other emails obtained by the DRUDGE REPORT, further reveal the inner workings of the nation's news outlets. :rolleyes:

A friend of Green's at ABC says Green is mortified by the email. "John feels so badly about this email. He is a straight shooter and great producer who is always fair. That said, he deeply regrets the sentiment expressed in the email and the embarrassment it causes ABC News."

Back
Top Bottom