President Bush to Appear on Meet the Press - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2004, 01:05 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:35 AM
President Bush to Appear on Meet the Press

Uh oh.....

Will Russert treat him the way he treated Dean? The gloves were off last Sunday!!!! Dean was great!

Predictions....

Old 02-06-2004, 09:02 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Now I'll have something really fun to do on Sunday morning

Seriously, I didn't see Dean on there, what did he ask him? I'm hungry for a Bush grilling

Old 02-06-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Now I'll have something really fun to do on Sunday morning

Seriously, I didn't see Dean on there, what did he ask him? I'm hungry for a Bush grilling
Dean transcript from sunday link

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4112959/
Old 02-08-2004, 08:24 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Well is anyone watching this today?
Old 02-08-2004, 08:30 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Just read the Washington Post. It had some quotes from the show. I will wait for context before I comment. i was not happy with what I read.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

the transript of this show will not show it...Bush was manhandled by Russert.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:35 PM
MSNBC is airing the show several times today.

I caught some of it while I was half asleep (I was mostly listening, rather than watching then)... Bush didn't seem to carry himself very smoothly, he seemed a bit nervous and kept stuttering for the most part, except when he's defending his economic plan, in which he says he's helping everybody...
Old 02-08-2004, 03:53 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4179618/
Old 02-08-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:35 AM
"except when he's defending his economic plan, in which he says he's helping everybody..."

5.6% unemployment and dropping.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I have not seen this yet. Dread claims its a disaster so I'll be looking for one.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Did I say disaster? I said manhandled. There were some awful LONG pauses. He appeared to NOT be enjoying himself. He was pale.

Russert had him on the ropes.

I am hoping for his sake this is his warm up for the political season.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:31 PM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Mofo, thanks for the link! I read the transcript, and Bush did indeed dodge the important questions and (as he acknowledged himself) he sounded like a broken record. I kinda wish Russert had pushed him, but ppl can tell without him saying, "Sir, that was a Class A Dodge." Bush seemed to be pleading, "Look I did the best I could with what I had" and that would be fine, except that when you're President, and this is a matter of life and death, you WAIT until you have at least most of the facts, rather than jumping the gun as he did. As Tenet said, the CIA did NOT claim there was an imminent threat. As Bush reminded us, the White House did not claim there was an imminent threat. So why on earth was there at least not a few months to let the inspections continue for the sake of our allies, if nothing else?

I can't imagine voting for this man. I'm happy to say, also, that more and more of my Republican friends are saying they don't plan to, either.

I'd love to hear the impressions of others who saw this.

Cheers,
SD
Old 02-08-2004, 08:35 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Even in the transcript.....it reads poorly at times.

Many of my Republican friends are NOT voting for Bush. not so much over Iraq, but because they feel fiscally betrayed.

To quote one friend...he makes Clinton seem cheap with his money.

I digress.....I am still reading and thinking about the transcript. I watched a replay of the interview. I would say it was NOT a disaster. If Russsert had pressed, I think he was close to snapping at one or two points.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:45 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

i'd say watching the session is better gauge than reading the transcript.... it's interesting to watch (or for me, to listen) Bush's speech behavior.

Here in West Coast, it's on at 10pm on CNBC (after Dennis Miller), and 11pm on MSNBC.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:33 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Dreadsox,

I finally saw the interview. Not bad, not bad at all. Bush is not the best at speaking and its a serious mistake to judge him or anyone that is president simply based on their speaking ability. Its their decisions and actions which are important. From what I have seen of Bush before as far as answering questions, this was very good.

Sherry Darling,

""Look I did the best I could with what I had" and that would be fine, except that when you're President, and this is a matter of life and death, you WAIT until you have at least most of the facts, rather than jumping the gun as he did. As Tenet said, the CIA did NOT claim there was an imminent threat. As Bush reminded us, the White House did not claim there was an imminent threat. So why on earth was there at least not a few months to let the inspections continue for the sake of our allies, if nothing else?"

Inspections in Iraq started back in April of 1991!

Achieving VERIFIABLE DISARMAMENT is not something that takes 13+ years. Ukraine, Kazakstan, Belarus, and South Africa all Verifiably disarmed in under a year.

Jumping the Gun?!!! After 13 years of Saddam's Bullshit? I think not.

The President had all the facts he needed upon entering office. Saddam had failed to VERIFIABLY DISARM per multiple UN resolutions and a ceacefire agreement. You can debate until hell freezes over about what Saddam had or did not have. The point here is he was supposed to have VERIFIABLY NOTHING! This was the requirment that the United Nations deemed necessary back in 1991 and it backed it up with resolutions passed under Chapter VII rules allowing military force to be used to enforce them if necessary. Saddam failed to fullfill his obligations which made the use of military force a necessity to insure regional and international security.

" can't imagine voting for this man. I'm happy to say, also, that more and more of my Republican friends are saying they don't plan to, either."

They may change their minds when they learn more about Kerry's voting record and the decisions he has made as a US Senator. There is very little there even for the most moderate or liberal Republican to like.