President Bush Press Conference Tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, if they were asked what their part in it was they should also adsmit they are partly at fault

which has nothing to do with Bush his performance during the press conference though

unless I missed something and Clinton was there anyway checking out the ladies or something

Headache in a Suitcase said:
how come i don't see anyone fighting for bill clinton or george h.w. bush to also admit to their own failures in leading up to 9/11? if W has to take part of the blame, then certainly they must as well.

How right you are! It's easy to blaime only the ones who are dealing with the problem at the moment! But the responsibilities start in the past!

And now, also kidnapped people, mostly civil, are dying -- it's unberable! I just HOPE we will find a way out!

To you all, please PRAY LOUDER!! (U2 SONGS ARE PERFECT FOR THAT!)

Clinton screwed up, no question. Part of the problem was politics, though. When he was elected in 1992, the political atmosphere was that of the post-Cold War era, the era that there was a "peace dividend" because of the notion that since the Berlin Wall was down and Moscow was the capital of Russia and not the Soviet Union, there was not a foreign "threat". Now we realize how naive that was, but honestly, in 1992 no one in hell dreamed of the nightmare that would happen nine years later in New York, not even Bush Sr, who was a national security ace but not exactly omniscient. The problem with the whole "blame game" is that much of this stuff is hindsight and let's face it, politics. It just goes to show much the political atmosphere changes, and you can't freeze a status quo, no matter how much you'd like to. I think some lefties also want to freeze the status quo of the pre 9/11 world. Personally, after the attack I felt like I needed to refresh my views about national security, and maybe change them. Some of these ideas that cling to the pre 9/11 view of national/international security are dangerously unilateral in themselves, I think. Call me confused. But don't say I'm not willing to condemn the Clinton Administration for stuff they did under their watch. It's just that you practically needed a crystal ball *not* to screw up in hindsight. Hindsight is 20/20. Foresight is not unless you're God.

Honestly, we could look all the way back to the Carter Administration, when the strength of the CIA's intelligence gathering abilities were severly diminished.

nbcrusader said:
Honestly, we could look all the way back to the Carter Administration, when the strength of the CIA's intelligence gathering abilities were severly diminished.

Absolutely. At that time it was viewed as "cleaning up" the "mess" made by the Nixon Administration in their Vietnam policy. But now we know that this stuff was damaging in itself. People need to stop trying to make a very complex situation simple. It's *not* simple.

I think questioning about mistakes is legitime.
We should remember that this administration told the UN that they can do nation building quicker, better, cheaper (D. Rumsfeld).
Now we have to find out that even Mr. Bremer's security is ensured by private soldiers (Control Risk Group, Triple Canopy, Blackwater Security Consulting) and Mr. G.W.Bush is playing Golf.
8 months of holiday for a president of a nation who is at war is at least "interesting"

what exactly is interesting about him playing golf? i'm dying to hear this one... yes, american's are at war and dying, and yes george bush played a few rounds of golf... why exactly is that a problem? bush can't even take his mind off things with a nice leisurely activity now? shit... the game of baseball was invented as a way to take troops minds off war for a a few hours back in the civil war. bob hope entertained millions of troops at USO shows, while at the same time as his performances, troops who weren't at the show were dying in the rice fields of vietnam. why in the bluest of blue friggin hells is it all of a sudden a problem if george w. friggin bush plays a gosh darned round of golf?!?!@?!

Last edited:
Presidents play golf?!?

In our era of instant gratification, we should remember how long it takes to establish or re-establish nations.

what exactly is interesting about him playing golf? i'm dying to hear this one... yes, american's are at war and dying, and yes george bush played a few rounds of golf... why exactly is that a problem? bush can't even take his mind off things with a nice leisurely activity now? shit... the game of baseball was invented as a way to take troops minds off war for a a few hours back in the civil war. bob hope entertained millions of troops at USO shows, while at the same time as his performances, troops who weren't at the show were dying in the rice fields of vietnam. why in the bluest of blue friggin hells is it all of a sudden a problem if george w. friggin bush plays a gosh darned round of golf?!?!@?!

The point is he's taken more vacation than any president and he's at war. That's odd you can't gloss that over and act like it's not. If you want a leader you want someone who's taking an active role and when you see his vacation schedule you have to ask what kind of role is he taking and where would we be if he hadn't taken so much freaking vacation.

It was the Presidents decision to go to war (i don't want to debate now if that decision was right or wrong in this thread).
He sent verry good and honest soldiers to iraq and knew some of them will die down there, far from their families and beloved.

There are leaders who want to be with their troops and maybe risk their life in doing so, there are leaders who work as hard and do what they can do when they are at war...
..and there are leaders who enjoy holiday and play golf.

I wouldn't necessarily call GWB's time in Crawford as "vacation". He isn't taking a break from his job like we do.

Bush uses Texas retreat as diplomacy central

CRAWFORD, Texas ? Like Monday's meeting between President Bush and Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak, get-togethers by world leaders at the Bush ranch rarely end in important announcements. But sometimes the fruits of a visit are seen weeks or months later

Even if parts of his vacations are "working," he still gets--and takes--far more *paid* vacations than does the average American.

Nope, it's about the extra benefits. Free lodging, car with somebody to drive you around, no phone bills. :wink:

nbcrusader said:
In our era of instant gratification, we should remember how long it takes to establish or re-establish nations.

True, but did the present leaders know it'd be this tough to stabilize Iraq? I have questions about this. When they pulled that statue down last year I remember Rumsfeld saying it was like the Berlin Wall coming down, and I thought, not so fast. There was a crucial difference. It's called bloodshed.

nbcrusader said:
And gets paid far less (especially per hour) than the average Fortune 500 executive.

That poor, suffering man, what with struggling to pay for his health insurance and rent, there's hardly time for brand name pretzels at the end of the month!

Although, you are right. Since America is a country for the corporations run by the corporations, it should only make sense the president's salary matches those who hold his puppet strings.

I still think he should have at least tried to answer some questions

I can hardly believe that the truth is much worse than this

nbcrusader said:
And gets paid far less (especially per hour) than the average Fortune 500 executive.

I bet they play more golf too :wink:

I have a theory about salary and golf...but it is as relevant to this thread as my above comment so I will shut up...lol

if you really have a problem with him going to his ranch and playing a round of golf then your tunnel visioned hatred for the man has completely overtaken your ability to reason.

oh my god look!
04-0088a.jpg

john f. kennedy playing golf in 1963 while american "military advisors" are dying in Vietnam! what an a-hole

please people

if you really have a problem with him going to his ranch and playing a round of golf then your tunnel visioned hatred for the man has completely overtaken your ability to reason.

oh my god look!
04-0088a.jpg

john f. kennedy playing golf in 1963 while american "military advisors" are dying in Vietnam! what an a-hole

please people

Yeah, but JFK was much smarter and more charming than Dubya. So, he could afford the time off. Bush needs to use this tume to read more BOOKS, other than just the Bible and Ronald Regan's biography. :wink:

Personally I don't give a damn if GWB wants to play golf in his spare time. It's some of the other things he's doing that annoys me. Leaders have been playing golf for centuries. In the fifteenth century golf was banned in Scotland, but this didn't keep the king from playing. The argument used against certain games then was that it kept men from practicing their archery for war. I don't think that holds water today.

Salome said:
I still think he should have at least tried to answer some questions

I can hardly believe that the truth is much worse than this

:up:

Back
Top Bottom