President Bush keeping his promise on way to Africa- - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2002, 07:08 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:31 PM
President Bush keeping his promise on way to Africa-

Jan 10 2003.

Bono stated earlier he thought GW gives a shit about how the world sees Africa and wants the world to know America is concerned for Africa..

Bono also stated after GW's meeting w Bono in the Oval Office that he refered to the AIDS Crisis in Africa as genocide.
I think the reason Bush is going is because he is a decent human being..
Period.

Out-
Diamond

Old 12-16-2002, 07:24 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Re: President Bush keeping his promise on way to Africa-

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Jan 10 2003.

Bono stated earlier he thought GW gives a shit about how the world sees Africa and wants the world to know America is concerned for Africa..

Bono also stated after GW's meeting w Bono in the Oval Office that he refered to the AIDS Crisis in Africa as genocide.
I think the reason Bush is going is because he is a decent human being..
Period.

Out-
Diamond
I am sure many of you watched Bono on Larry King.

One thing Bono said was that of the top 23 industrialized nations the U. S. is 23rd in giving aid.
That is shameful.

Bono also said the War on Terror must be fought equally with the War on Poverty.
That 40% of the African continent is Muslim and the U. S. would benefit more from giving aide and saving lives.

As the President of the U. S., Bush needs to give more to Africa, than just a shit.

Old 12-16-2002, 07:42 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Something needs to be clarified here. The USA is 23rd in giving aid as a percentage of its GDP. But as a simple money total, its higher than most of the countries if not all the countries on that list! When looking at it correctly, how can you say that is shameful?

Plus, no one looks at the vast amount of money that the USA spends every year to help keep peace and stability around the world. Were talking hundreds of Billions of dollars. This is a totally unmatched contribution to international peace and stability. In addition the USA has the the most open economy to trade on the planet! US consumers by nearly 2 Trillion dollars worth of goods and services from around the world! This should also be included when looking at foreign aid.

I agree with Bono that the USA should increase its direct humanitarian foreign aid part of the budget. But I would not characterize current foreign aid efforts as shameful.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:40 AM   #4
Refugee

But sting they are still 23rd.

And i do agree that they do give alot of military to other nations. But AIDS money is not high on their list. Maybe when there is no buddy left to save they will start to put the money where their mouth is. Thats like saying that if you had a millionaire and a person that makes 10000 a year and they both give 1000 dollars it allright because you are giving just as much moneyif not more. Come on. But you do admit they need to give more so i think you are in agreeness(sp) with me but are to afraid to admit it...
Old 12-17-2002, 02:02 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:31 PM
Yeah, I am sure it was GWB's idea to go to Africa.

He probably does not even know where Africa is...

Eat that!!!

(brought to you by friends of OUIZY'04)
Old 12-17-2002, 02:03 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: President Bush keeping his promise on way to Africa-

Quote:
Originally posted by Hi Bias

1-I am sure many of you watched Bono on Larry King.

2-One thing Bono said was that of the top 23 industrialized nations the U. S. is 23rd in giving aid.
That is shameful.

3-Bono also said the War on Terror must be fought equally with the War on Poverty.
That 40% of the African continent is Muslim and the U. S. would benefit more from giving aide and saving lives.

4-As the President of the U. S., Bush needs to give more to Africa, than just a shit.
Mr Biashead-
I noticed some hostility in your post.

Anyway...-

re the items in your post my responses..

#1-yes i did he also said he thought Pres Bush understood the emergency of AIDS/Africa, along w Clinton..-

#2-sometimes if ppl have diffrent methods of addressing a crisis, doesnt make one shameful.
you need to get past that logic

#3- i agree, perhaps Bush will come around to this, and if he did would u applaud him for that, here??

#4-i think he does..

Peace
Out-
DB9
Old 12-17-2002, 02:05 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
Yeah, I am sure it was GWB's idea to go to Africa.

He probably does not even know where Africa is...

Eat that!!!

(brought to you by friends of OUIZY'04)
Ouizy-
that was not one of your better posts..
regardless,
Merry Christmas,
Diamond
xxox
Old 12-17-2002, 02:22 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I know - I am just a little sleepy from my Wonton soup and was a little excited by the prospects "we" now have that Gore has decided to do the right thing and hibernate.

Late last night I was watching an old documentary about Muhammed Ali and his fight against George Forman in Zaire.

I only hope John Kerry will have the heart Ali did during that fight...

Happy Holidays to you Diamond, and the rest of the lot, Have a great New Years as well...

PS. Diamond I think I may be in Scottsdale again for a brief stint sometime near May - I would love some recommendations for a restaurant or two...
Old 12-17-2002, 03:05 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:31 AM
Don`t take me wrong, it is great all this help, but does the western world listen to Africa when they say what they need ?

For example,..

There is a huge foodproblem in Zambia and millions are in danger to die of hunger. There is a lot of American corn in storage for Zambia but the Zambian goverment do not want it because it is genetic engineerd corn. Why should we force this corn to Zambia when there is enough not genetic engeneerd corn to give.

I think that Zambia has the right to say no. The reason for reject genetic corn is simple and valid. This genetic corn will cross with natural corn so Zambia can`t sell natural corn in the future to other country`s.

Read you,...
Old 12-17-2002, 03:24 PM   #10
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:31 AM
the Zambia situation (it's been in the news quite prolific over here) also entered my mind when reading this thread
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-17-2002, 03:52 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Something needs to be clarified here. The USA is 23rd in giving aid as a percentage of its GDP. But as a simple money total, its higher than most of the countries if not all the countries on that list! When looking at it correctly, how can you say that is shameful?
I am reminded of the story in the New Testament about the Pharisee and the poor widow giving their offerings. The Pharisee gave more in terms of a monetary sum and was very proud of himself for being so holy, even though he was very rich and the amount was only a small percentage of his total wealth. The widow gave only 2 pennies, but it was all she had. Remember which one Jesus commended?

Food for thought.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:13 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I have said I think the USA should increase the percentage of the budget that goes to humanitarian aid. After all, its in our long term national interest to do just that. But I wanted to emphasize that the lump sum that the USA gives is more than most countries because clearly there are many here that may not have realized that. In addition I do not think the current percentage that goes to humanitarian aid to be "shameful". But it should definitely be increased. How many interferencer's here give all their "disposable income" to charity instead of going to U2 concerts, movies, out to eat, etc? How do you judge whether this level of giving or that level of giving is shameful? What about #22 or #20 or #15, was their level of aid as a percentage of their GDP, "shameful"?

Bonoman,

Your example between the millionaire and the person making 10,000 dollars is not accurate. I do not believe the USA's total wealth is several 100 times that of the other countries on the list. To really look at this acurately, we need to see the percentage of each countries GDP that goes to humanitarian aid. Although the USA is behind, I do not think they are nearly behind by the level you seem to be indicating.

In addition, I think there are few people here that realize the enormous scale of the USA's defense efforts around the world that keep peace and stability. The value of that to the world is so huge its impossible to caculate. The USA has the most open economy on the planet and USA consumers buy nearly 2 Trillion dollars worth of goods and services from around the world every year. These are two important facts that deserve just as much mention as the amount that the USA spends on humanitarian aid.

Rono,

Totally off topic and not even something for this forum, just wanted to say that Steeltown is my favorite Big Country Album!
Old 12-17-2002, 08:07 PM   #13
Refugee

Sting, i will take alook later on for that percentages. Then we can talk about it. Because really we dont have a clue without the actual facts!
Old 12-17-2002, 08:07 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Re: Re: Re: President Bush keeping his promise on way to Africa-

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

#3- i agree, perhaps Bush will come around to this, and if he did would u applaud him for that, here??

Yes, I would!

Also, there is an opportunity for all Americans to speak their mind and support helping Africa financially.

http://www.datadata.org/whitehouse_action.htm

Please call the White House tomorrow and show your support!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:19 PM   #15
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Plus, no one looks at the vast amount of money that the USA spends every year to help keep peace and stability around the world. Were talking hundreds of Billions of dollars. This is a totally unmatched contribution to international peace and stability. In addition the USA has the the most open economy to trade on the planet! US consumers by nearly 2 Trillion dollars worth of goods and services from around the world! This should also be included when looking at foreign aid.

I agree with Bono that the USA should increase its direct humanitarian foreign aid part of the budget. But I would not characterize current foreign aid efforts as shameful.

I would characterise it as SHAMEFUL.

here is the data