Prenuptial Agreements - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

example. the girl who grew up across the street from me. her family is independently wealthy. she is getting married to a man her parents hardly know. they are pressuring her to get a prenup, because there is money at stake, and they don't know this guy so they are understandably nervous. it's not as if they won't be sharing the money whilst they are married, but should it end in divorce, he won't get half of the family money intended for her.
Personally, I still wouldn't do it. Marriage is about sharing. If they get married, he IS part of their family anyway.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

is he still part of the family if there is a divorce? yes, if there are children, they are, but what about the divorced spouse?

that's more of a broader, philosophical question, i suppose.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, I think so.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:33 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 08:00 AM
hell yes!

ill probably marry after 30, and in case i divorce i dont want to give away all my accumulated wealth... unless i have 2 billion dollars.. then id give a few millions
Old 02-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:00 AM
I think it's a perfectly sensible idea. I see no reason why practical and emotional can't be kept apart from each other.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:18 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:00 AM
There are people out there who would be insulted if you wanted a prenup. I don't think they are over-emotional, or impractical, but they want to enter a lifelong commitment in which they can share their possessions with that significant other, and vice versa. I'm not completely against the idea of a prenup, seeing that around 50% of marriages sadly end in divorce, but I would respect the wishes of that significant other if she disliked the idea.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
is he still part of the family if there is a divorce? yes, if there are children, they are, but what about the divorced spouse?

that's more of a broader, philosophical question, i suppose.
This can be a confusing question, unless you arrange them in different degrees. My parents were both formerly married to different spouses before they joined forces, and I have never met my dad's ex-wife, nor my mom's ex-husband. No children were the result of either ex-marriage.

As a result, I don't feel like a family member to either of the exes, and it doesn''t bother me that I've never met them.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

As a result, I don't feel like a family member to either of the exes, and it doesn''t bother me that I've never met them.
But would it bother you if one of them were now owners of one of your parents business which they had no part in? Or the ranch house one of your parents worked hard for and now you'll never get to see?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
But would it bother you if one of them were now owners of one of your parents business which they had no part in? Or the ranch house one of your parents worked hard for and now you'll never get to see?
As long as I've never heard of them, no it certainly would not. And if I did hear of them, maybe a little, but I'd get over it.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

I would want to be sure I would keep the assets I brought into any marriage, so yeah, I would want one. But then agan, I'm not very romantic.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #26
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Practically speaking they're a sound idea. Emotionally, we might be inclined to balk at them. For reasons others have already stated. If you have assets and the like which you'd like to protect, you need to consider the future and the possibilities of change. Too many divorced people say their spouses and even themselves are not the same person they were at time of divorce as when they entered the marriage. We can't always predict changes in those closest to us, but in cold clinical terms, if you have assets and there is a possibility the person you marry might change, or you yourself might change, then I guess it can be viewed as a type of 'insurance'.

Then on the other hand, it is ridiculously unfair to expect more at the end of a marriage than what you put in. Some people are like this though, and in those cases I have to ask why you'd want to marry someone who sees the world with $ signs. I dont mean you personally btw lol. Just in general.