Powerful Quote from Bono on Truth . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just came across this mp3 of a great quote from yer man on truth, God and music on Relevant's site. I don't know what it's from, but it's more proof that he's the coolest guy in the world.

www.relevantmagazine.com/issue14/issue14_bonus.php

For anyone interested, the new issue of Relevant magazine has Moby on the cover and there's a great article about his faith in there.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the quote.

I think he makes an excellent point, but I still enjoy the "happy clappy" (I think that's what he said lol) kinds of hymns, whatever you want to call them.

I think maybe he's trying to say that God doesn't want worship of Him to be sugar coated or "phony" in a certain way.

Sounds like Bono is mixing concepts around the word truth. The Truth that is God vs. the truth that is our reality.

I'm not sure they are mutually exclusive.

What I got from it was you can sing all the worship songs you want, but the song and even the words used don't really matter, God is interested in your heart. What your putting into the music other than your voice, musical talent and maybe even emotions to some degree.

It's one thing to sing a song to make yourself feel good, but it's another to express something honest with integrity to God. That's want God wants.

coemgen said:
What I got from it was you can sing all the worship songs you want, but the song and even the words used don't really matter, God is interested in your heart. What your putting into the music other than your voice, musical talent and maybe even emotions to some degree.

It's one thing to sing a song to make yourself feel good, but it's another to express something honest with integrity to God. That's want God wants.

Interesting that when others suggest what God wants, it is usually met with by the tar and feather gang. WWBD?

And to say that someone cannot honestly, with integrity, sing praises to God is ridiculous.

I'm not interested in "happy time" music, or praise songs that seems to be geared to my emotional level. But worship hymns are a cornerstone to the Christian experience. We are called to sing to God and praise His name.

nb, I think there's some misunderstanding going on here. I'm not saying at all, and I don't think Bono is either, that you can't sing worship songs or hymns to worship God with integrity. He's saying that a lot of times people can get it wrong, but "when they hit it, it's worship."

He's really just talking about the heart here, not the type of music.

By the way, I prefer a good old Lutheran hymn over much of the praise music out there today. :wink:

People have been writing music for worship for centuries. You might have heard of the guy who baptized St. Augustine, St. Ambrose. He was a prolific writer of hymns. Some of his stuff is in modern Catholic hymnals.

coemgen said:

What you're seeing is the difference between "personalism" and "essentialism." This idea is very "personalist"; that is, God is more interested in your intentions behind an action than the action itself. If you're just uttering empty words in a hollow prayer, then a personalist would argue that God was not pleased with that prayer.

An "essentialist," however, is generally more of the "conservative Christian" persuasion; that is, if the Bible says "such and such" is wrong, then it is wrong. No questions asked. And "intention" is no part of the equation.

I often think that conservative Christianity often confuses "personalism," a concept rooted out of the Middle Ages, with "relativism." And I think that this contributes to a severe misunderstanding between conservative and liberal Christians. It's not that liberal Christians don't care or have lax moral values; they just approach God from a different Christian philosophy.

Melon

Last edited:
I thought Bono made a very honest comment.

Thanks for this thread - I continue to think that to truly KNOW BONO, you must hear his OWN WORDS.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I always thought to KNOW BONO you had to know him... :scratch:

Anywho....time for some comic relief:

An old farmer went to the city one weekend and attended a big city church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was. "Well" said the farmer, "It was good. They did something different, however. They sang praise choruses instead of hymns." "Praise choruses," said his wife, "what are those?" "Oh, they're okay. They're sort of hymns, only different." said the farmer. "Well, what's the difference?" asked his wife. The farmer said, --"Well. it's like this - if I were to say to you:

'Martha, Martha, Martha,
Oh, Martha, Martha, Martha,
the cows, the big cows, the brown cows,
the black cows, the white cows, the black and white cows,
the cows, the cows, the cows are in the corn,
are in the corn, are in the corn, are in the corn,
the corn, corn, corn.'

Then if I were to repeat the whole thing two or three times -well, that would be a praise chorus."

As providence would have it, the very same Sunday a young, new Christian from the city church attended a small town country church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was. "Well", said the young man, "it was good. They did something different, however. They sang hymns instead of regular songs. " "Hymns," said his wife, "What are those?" "Oh, they're okay. They're sort of regular songs -only different," said the young man. "Well, what's the difference?" asked his wife.

The young man said, "Well it's like this - if I were to say to you, 'Martha, the cows are in the corn,' well, that would be a regular song. If on the other hand, I were to say to you:

'Oh Martha, dear Martha, hear thou my cry.
Inclinest thine ear to the words of my mouth.
Turn thou thy whole wondrous ear by and by
To the righteous, inimitable, glorious truth.

For the way of the animals who can explain,
There in their heads is no shadow of sense,
Hearkenest they in God's sun or His rain,
Unless from the mild, tempting corn they are fenced.

Yet those cows in glad bovine, rebellious delight,
Have broke free their shackles, their warm pens eschewed.
Then goaded by minions of darkness and night,
They all my mild Chilliwack sweet corn have chewed.

So look to that bright shining day by and by,
Where all foul corruptions of earth are reborn.
Where no vicious animal makes my soul cry,
And I no longer see those foul cows in the corn.'

Then, if I were to do only verses one, three and four and do a key change on the last verse -well, that would be a Hymn."

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I think he makes an excellent point, but I still enjoy the "happy clappy" (I think that's what he said lol) kinds of hymns, whatever you want to call them.

I have to say I also enjoy the "happy clappy" tunes as well...but I like all kinds of Christian contemporary music....as well as all kinds of secular music....I grew up listening to gospel but have very diverse taste now in music....which is why U2 is one of my fave bands :)

melon said:

What you're seeing is the difference between "personalism" and "essentialism." This idea is very "personalist"; that is, God is more interested in your intentions behind an action than the action itself. If you're just uttering empty words in a hollow prayer, then a personalist would argue that God was not pleased with that prayer.

An "essentialist," however, is generally more of the "conservative Christian" persuasion; that is, if the Bible says "such and such" is wrong, then it is wrong. No questions asked. And "intention" is no part of the equation.

I often think that conservative Christianity often confuses "personalism," a concept rooted out of the Middle Ages, with "relativism." And I think that this contributes to a severe misunderstanding between conservative and liberal Christians. It's not that liberal Christians don't care or have lax moral values; they just approach God from a different Christian philosophy.

Melon

Don't stretch too far just to take a shot at your favorite target.

Back
Top Bottom