Powell Resigns - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2004, 06:39 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Powell Resigns

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation, a senior administration official tells CNN. Details soon.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
New Yorker

We saw this coming. He was pushed out because he didn't agree with the neocons that were war hungry. So be it. He was one of the very few good guys in that cabinet and it's too bad he has left.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:58 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:09 PM

Too bad, he's the only one of that administration I could stomach. I wonder why they're all dropping like flies now.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:00 AM   #4
New Yorker

Someone on CNN said this is somewhat usual for people to leave when a president gets a second term but these guys seem to be dropping like flies. Powell, Energy Sec., Education Sec., and another one today. Should be interesting. And this is in addition to Ashcroft last week.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 PM
I'm not surprised. I expected the guy's resignation. Now who's going to replace him?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:20 AM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Darth Vader?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation to President Bush, the White House said on Monday.

Powell is the most prominent of four Cabinet officials whose resignations will be announced Monday, sources told CNN.

The others will be Agriculture Secretary Anne Veneman, Education Secretary Rod Paige and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham, the sources said.

Powell told his senior staff that he planned to stay on until a replacement was confirmed, State Department officials said.

State Department officials told CNN that Bush and Powell decided mutually that it was time for him to go.

The officials said that Powell plans to keep working on a number of key issues, including North Korean nuclear talks, the Iraqi elections scheduled for January and Middle East peace process.

Powell was scheduled to travel to Egypt next week for a conference on Iraq.

A senior official said Monday that the State Department was trying to arrange a meeting between Powell and the new Palestinian leadership, but added the details have not been worked out. A date and place have not been set, the official said.

The official made the comment after Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath told reporters in Gaza City that Powell was expected to meet with the leadership next week in the West Bank.

Rumors have swirled about Powell's role in a second Bush administration, but neither the president nor the secretary had spoken publicly about his future.

Last week, when asked if he wanted Powell to stay on to oversee the Mideast peace process Bush told reporters: "I'm proud of my secretary of state. He's done a heck of a good job."

Powell told reporters that he had had several conversations with the president, but would not comment on what they said.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:56 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I would imagine that these guys get tired of such high-stress, high-profile positions, and want to smell some roses.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:01 AM   #9
Refugee

I read a couple of weeks ago in a forgotten newspaper column that Powell quietly wished he had resigned back in early '93 when he found out that others in the Bush administration had told the Saudis about the go-ahead for the Iraq invasion before Powell.

Anyway I echo the sentiments of others here - goodbye to one of the very few good souls in the Bush admin.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:03 AM   #10
Refugee

Sorry - my previous post should, of course read '03 rather than '93 !
Old 11-15-2004, 08:04 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

It's too bad he's leaving.

Wonder if Condi will resign next...
Old 11-15-2004, 08:06 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i wonder what nut job will replace powell, one of the few reasonable voices in the administration.

i hope trying to take over the world will eventually become tiresome for these people.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:16 AM   #13
Acrobat

I credit Powell with having to deal with all the flak that was thrown at him, especially after he presented the U.S.'s case about Iraq to the UN. I'm sad to see him go because I think that he was a positive influence; however, I can understand why he did it. I too worry about who will be next. Hopefully, judging from Bush's choice for the new AG, it won't be some brash, polarizing person.

Thanks Colin Powell. I don't think I'm the only one who appreciates the job that you have done.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:36 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not surprised. But now I'm scared without Powell's clarity in the executive branch.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:47 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I'm not surprised. But now I'm scared without Powell's clarity in the executive branch.

ditto. Bush will most likely surround himself with toadies and servile "yes men" who will read his newspapers for him and tell him what he wants to hear.

this is what's so scary about this administration, and the basis for much of the agonizing in the Blue States. this administration looks for retroactive justification for it's goals -- "i want to invade Iraq, give me reasons to do so."