Poverty Does NOT Breed Terrorism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sherry Darling said:
I'd add (to Jamilia) though, that this certainly doesn't mean it's okay therefore to ingore poverty. If that's your concern, Jamilia, I don't think anyone has argued that. As you've said before, we have to fight poverty because it's just the right thing to do!

I agree, however, the sad truth is that if poverty had been the widely accepted cause of terrorism the West would have put a lot more effort into reducing it.

Sherry, I do agree we should fight poverty just because it's the right thing to do. Even in the US, too many people try to make excuses not to help the poor, they're 'stupid' 'worthless bums' 'don't deserve it' 'shoulda done better or worked harder and they wouldn't be homeless' etc. It makes my blood boil :mad:

But I did not agree with Diamond. He said hate and envy caused terrorism, I don't think the envy is part of it at all, because as I said they don't want to be like us so they aren't jealous of us. I think that is an arrogant American attitude to think everyone wishes they were like us. I also think said that if poverty were the reason why are the subsarahan Africans and poor slum dwellers of the Americas not terrorists? It's not their culture and ways. They want to LIVE and dream. I do agree with A_Wanderer it is a religious/cultural thing.

As for WHY they hate us, I don't think that will ever be solved. We are a different culture with a different way of life, and they don't like it. We can't change to make them happy. It's something we are going to have to live with, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom