Poverty and Education - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Dread, my initial post was an answer to financeguy's approval of the article with an NCLB reference. Plus, you can say "it wasn't in the article" all you want; your post was an NCLB love party, so quit getting all high and mighty about what was and wasn't in "the article." I'm glad you love NCLB now, and that the problems with it have magically vanished for you.

My methodology isn't the problem. MY students are quite successful as far as NCLB is concerned. How successful they be at real life after this may be up for debate.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #17
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

[Why not?

I think this is a dangerous thing to do. What does it have to do with the article?

1. Not enough kids on free/reduced lunch.

2. It has everything to do with the renewal of NCLB. Ask Pelosi.

I'd post more, but I have an entire day odf schoolwork ahead of me today. Have a nice day off Dread.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Hispanic Students:

At all three ages, Hispanic students' average reading scale scores were higher in 2004 than in 1975.
Nine-year-olds. White and Hispanic students' average scale scores were higher in 2004 than in 1975 and 1999.
The White-Hispanic reading score gap in 2004 (21 points) was significantly smaller than it was in 1975 (34 points).
Thirteen-year-olds. The average scale scores of White and Hispanic students were higher in 2004 than in 1975.
There was no statistically significant difference between the White-Hispanic gaps in 2004 and 1975.
Seventeen-year-olds. Hispanic students scored higher in 2004 than in 1975, while White students' average score in 2004 was not statistically different from that in 1975.
The score gap between White and Hispanic students was smaller in 2004 (29 points) than in 1975 (41 points).
Old 11-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Not quite.
Ahem

http://www.buymybook.co.uk/irony_detector.htm
Old 11-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Dread, my initial post was an answer to financeguy's approval of the article with an NCLB reference. Plus, you can say "it wasn't in the article" all you want; your post was an NCLB love party, so quit getting all high and mighty about what was and wasn't in "the article." I'm glad you love NCLB now, and that the problems with it have magically vanished for you.

My methodology isn't the problem. MY students are quite successful as far as NCLB is concerned. How successful they be at real life after this may be up for debate.
You make everything so personal. I have no time for it. If presenting something accurately makes me high and mighty so be it.

I have not said I love NCLB but you can make it personal if it makes you feel better.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I'd post more, but I have an entire day odf schoolwork ahead of me today. Have a nice day off Dread.
Haha! Like I said, make it personal....Must be us lazy administrators who get the weekend off with those parents who screw everything up.

Have fun Martha...

I will be working on my school improvement plan today, my presentation for the school committee, and my analysis of the NCLB report for the school, finalizing the standards for the new reports card, finishing my evaluations of three staff members, finishing my proposal for the installation of smartboards in every classroom, writing a grant.......and god willing start the budget for next year, where I will be fighting to keep classroom positions for students to have smaller class sizes.

Somewhere in there I will play daddy and go to a soccer game for my son.

So yes, I will have a productive day off.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

1. Not enough kids on free/reduced lunch.

really, never been in school without it.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #23
She's the One

Quote:

really, never been in school without it.
They do exist, and we do ok without federal funds. Although smartboards would be cool, we make do with old whitebaords our PTA bought for us.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #24
She's the One

[QU.Must be us lazy administrators who get the weekend off with those parents who screw everything up.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I can tell you moved up to administration. Once people leave the classroom, they become obsessed with statistics and are more than willing to tell teachers how to teach.

It does get personal when people from other states start telling me how to teach.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #25
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Ahem

http://www.buymybook.co.uk/irony_detector.htm
You're difficult to read sometimes.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #26
She's the One

And this is why I try to avoid education threads.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I can tell you moved up to administration. Once people leave the classroom, they become obsessed with statistics and are more than willing to tell teachers how to teach.

It does get personal when people from other states start telling me how to teach.
This is is typical of those in the profession who want to go back to the days, where their classroom was an island, and they could teach in isolation, and there was no accountability for anything they taught. And the problem is the kids we are given, or the grade below us, or the television, or the parents.....but never look in the mirror, because it can never be what we are doing in the classroom. Show me poeple in the profession who make adjustments are willing to try new things that have worked in other places, and I will show you a staff that is successful

Nowhere in this thread did I tell you how to teach. I spoke about someting I tried with TITLE ONE children that worked to improve their results. Having never had the challenge of working with TITLE ONE children, I understand you could give a SHITE about someone in the profession who met with success. It is far easier to slander them, and take personal digs at them for moving into administration.

I love this profession tremendously and if you were not making such personal comments I would have enjoyed participation in the discussion. I think it clear from my comments I was explaining something I tried and did.

Statistics have nothing to do with me, it is the culture of the building I work in. I am not the stat analyzer. As a matter of fact, every committee in my building is chaired by a TEACHER because I have faith that the TEACHER knows what they should be doing better than anyone. So, DATA, is given to me from them. The staff I work with conducts their own data analysis on each and every piece of assessment that is given. It comes from them to me. They determine what to do with the data, re-evaluate the results, and if something works, they stick with it. If it is not working, they try something else.

Your (well veiled smart ass) comments about white boards made me laugh tremendously. MY STAFF is writing grants, MY STAFF has donated the money, MY STAFF is working to bring smartboards into the classroom. They are training each other on their own time, without pay. They have created the standards based report card, without pay. They (Nurse, Teachers, Custodians, AIDES, Principa) have tutored students without pay for six week intervals. They have come in on three day weekends on their own time, without pay. We are a team. I guess, that would be a foreign concept to you based on the tone of your remarks about administrators.

You made this personal, not me.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #28
She's the One

Quote:
.but never look in the mirror, because it can never be what we are doing in the classroom.
Nice assumption on your part.

Quote:
Having never had the challenge of working with TITLE ONE children, I understand you could give a SHITE about someone in the profession who met with success.
Did you get your promotion making these kinds of assumptions?

Quote:
So, DATA, is given to me from them. The staff I work with conducts their own data analysis on each and every piece of assessment that is given. .....
...MY STAFF is writing grants, MY STAFF has donated the money, MY STAFF is working to bring smartboards into the classroom. They are training each other on their own time, without pay. They have created the standards based report card, without pay. They (Nurse, Teachers, Custodians, AIDES, Principa) have tutored students without pay for six week intervals. They have come in on three day weekends on their own time, without pay.
You made this personal, not me.
This is the major thing wrong with both NCLB and the non-teachers who love it: The insistance that teachers work for free. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "teamwork" and everything to do with underfunded federal mandates. This unpaid work is unfair to the teachers AND to administrators.

But if that's what makes everythning work, then do it and buckle under rather than face the problem head-on.

Dread, you know as well as I do that all education is local.

What works for your students may not work for my students, and reducing students to a plie of DATA isn't serving anyone. It's jumping through the federal hoops that are killing learning and teaching and innovation.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #29
She's the One

Old 11-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #30
She's the One

I hate trying to quote multiple posts.