potential GOP candiate finds Religion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
finds it disturbing

somebody sees the light

and tells it like it is

God Bless America, Amen

Barkley Addresses Politics, Religion

NEW YORK, Aug. 31, 2006(AP) Charles Barkley was his usual outspoken self during a recent television interview in which he said, among other things, that he advocates gay marriage, believes Republicans have screwed up the country and is "struggling with my idea of what religion is."

The former NBA MVP, who is considering running as a Democratic candidate for governor in his home state of Alabama, also said Democrats have concentrated too much on criticizing President Bush in the last two years instead of focusing on what they can do to improve things in the country.

"They're criticizing a guy who can't run again, who can't get fired," Barkley said during an appearance on "CMI: The Chris Meyers Interview," which will air on Sunday night on Fox SportsNet. "So they spent the last two years criticizing him instead of saying, 'Some things aren't right. This is our game plan.' And now we're two years away from the election, and we have no solutions and no front-runner."

Barkley was a Republican until recently, saying he switched parties when the Republicans "lost their minds." He said he is troubled by some of the actions of people in the United States in the name of religion.

"Religious people in general are so discriminatory against other people, and that really disturbs me," he said. "My idea of religion is we all love and respect. We all sin, but we still have common decency and respect for other people. So right now I'm struggling with my idea of what religion is."

He also said he supports gay marriage.

"I think if they want to get married, God bless them," Barkley said. "Gay marriage is probably 1 percent of the population, so it's not like it's going to be an epidemic. Hey, trust me, I'm never going to kiss you and say, 'Chris, you're sexy.'"

Barkley also acknowledged that a gay athlete likely would be discriminated against in professional sports, though he said he believes they would face the same discrimination in everyday life.

The Hall of Famer, who donated money to help with the reconstruction in the Gulf Coast following Hurricane Katrina, said he realizes he has limitations when it comes to governing, though that isn't stopping him from considering a gubernatorial bid.

"I don't know anything about a lot of things, but I would ask somebody and try to make a fair, honest decision for the majority of the people. Not the rich, not the poor, not the black, not the white," Barkley said. "When you get elected to public office, you're supposed to represent everybody. Your job is not to take care of the rich or the poor or the black or the white. Your job is to take care of everybody."

Lynn Swan is not having much success
would Barkley fair better?

many of my GOP friends have been salivating for him to run

as their "Great Black Hope"

Oh alabama
The devil fools with the best laid plan.
Swing low alabama
You got spare change
You got to feel strange
And now the moment is all that it meant.

Alabama, you got the weight on your shoulders
Thats breaking your back.
Your cadillac has got a wheel in the ditch
And a wheel on the track

This is my favorite quote from that article

"Religious people in general are so discriminatory against other people, and that really disturbs me,"

Many people are discriminatory against other people, not just religious people. In fact, with that statement, he has proven that he himself is discriminatory against religious people by generalizing against them in such a discriminatory manner.

80sU2isBest said:
This is my favorite quote from that article

"Religious people in general are so discriminatory against other people, and that really disturbs me,"

Many people are discriminatory against other people, not just religious people. In fact, with that statement, he has proven that he himself is discriminatory against religious people by generalizing against them in such a discriminatory manner.

You're playing fast and loose with the defintion of discriminate. It means different things in different contexts.
When Barkley says it is his experience that religious people discriminate, that is they show partiality or prejudice.
In general, it is not seen as a negative to discriminate, for it is merely the making of distinctions. So yeah, human beings discriminate the difference is in the motive or the intention behind the discrimination.
I don't think Barkley's discriminating so much as he's sharing his observations based on his experience(s).
I dig the philosophical Barkley:cool:

No, please. We don't need another rogue governor down here. The previous two administrations were embarassing enough. The two current candidates (incumbent Republican Governor and challenging Democratic Lieutenant Governor) are much more capable of leading this state than Charles Barkely.

If we must elect someone just because they are a celebrity, let us at least elect someone that treats other people with respect; how about Jimmy Buffett or Shaun Alexander? They have ties to the state just like Barkley. Too bad Lynn Swann isn't from Alabama; he's a much more down to earth person than Barkley could ever imagine being. The good news is that Barkley won't meet the residency requirements to run for Governor in 2010. At least we won't have to worry about him throwing state senators through the windows of the Governor's Mansion when they disagree with him or get too close to him.

Oh, and that's cute and predictable how the Neil Young song was thrown in.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
I agree with U2Bama. We've had enough bad governors to last us a century. The one we have is decent, not great, in my book, but he doesn't bother me the way governors have in the past.

Re: Re: potential GOP candiate finds Religion

phillyfan26 said:

Swann is up against Ed Rendell, who was great as governor in his first term. That's probably why.

Latest poll from USA Today/Gallup poll is that Ed Rendell has a 22 point lead among likely voters over Republican Lynn Swan.

Also in the Senate race In PA, Bob Casey- 56% :applaud:
Rick Santorum- 38% :down:

Re: Re: Re: potential GOP candiate finds Religion

tiny dancer said:

Latest poll from USA Today/Gallup poll is that Ed Rendell has a 22 point lead among likely voters over Republican Lynn Swan.

I will miss Lynn Swann on college football Saturdays this fall, but at least this means he will be back next season.

~U2Alabama

Tonight on the local news, his intentions were clarified. He confirmed that he is looking for a house in Alabama in order to qualify to run in 2014 (not 2010 as local media had previously reported).

He also stated that he will run as an "independent," because the Republicans are "full of it" and the Democrats are "a little less full of it."

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom