pot makes you smarter - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2005, 02:53 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Smoking is one of those things that disgusts me to the very core of my being. It's destroyed my grandpa, it's destroyed my dad, it's caused my family and my extended family so much worry and pain and stress, all because a few people feel like it's their God-given right to inhale smoke. Call me stuck up or self righteous or whatever the fuck you want, but I simply cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would think it's OK to put their own bodies and their families through that. There is nothing, NOTHING positive that comes from smoking, nothing.

Keep pot illegal. And get rid of tobacco while you're at it.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:46 AM
I've smoke a lot of pot in my life. My brain cells are doing just fine, thank you. I own a home, have an incredible job, lots of friends, and have never been addicted to anything. I cannot bear to be around drunk people but stoners have never bothered me in the least.

Anyone catch Melissa Etheridge's interview on Dateline NBC the other night? Pot got her through chemo and was the #1 thing recommended to her by all of her doctors. She said why start the cycle of prescription meds (adding one drug after another to counteract the effects of the previous drug) when smoking marijuana relieved the pain, the depression, and increased her appetite. She also made the excellent point that of course anything that makes you feel better can be abused--just look at Vicodin and other prescription meds that people get addicted to.

I believe one day marijuana will be legal and gays will be allowed to marry, it will not be society's undoing, and everyone will look back and wonder what the hell the big deal was all about.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 AM
I think perspectives on smoking pot change - especially when you have children. I have an older half-brother. He has smoked pot most of his life. I remember how he and his bride disappeared during the wedding reception to light one up.

Now, his 17 year old daughter is struggling in life and keeps turning back to pot. Now he see what problems it can create. And he wonders where his life would be had he quit pot decades earlier.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:19 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I think perspectives on smoking pot change - especially when you have children. I have an older half-brother. He has smoked pot most of his life. I remember how he and his bride disappeared during the wedding reception to light one up.

Now, his 17 year old daughter is struggling in life and keeps turning back to pot. Now he see what problems it can create. And he wonders where his life would be had he quit pot decades earlier.
But replace "pot" with "alcohol" in your post and it's the same thing. Replace "pot" with prescription meds in your post and it's also the same thing. Some people have a glass of wine socially once in awhile, others have had their lives ruined by alcohol, and every scenario possible in between also exists. It's no different with pot--except that since you can grow pot in your backyard or basement it's illegal.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i'm not seeing the connection between any of these things -- is he in a bad place? how has his pot smoking made his daughter turn to pot? what has smoking pot prevented him from doing? could the pot smoking simply be an easy thing to blame?

i'm not saying there isn't a correlation, i'm just wondering what it would be. could the same thing be true of alcohol? of fatty foods that might cause someone to become obese? why the rush to make pot illegal when substance of equal if not greater harm are not just legal, but highly encouraged -- just look at the advertising surrounding fast food and other nutritional garbage.

i've used marijuana in a semi-medicinal, self-perscribed fashion -- when you don't have health insurance and you're so consumed with anxiety that you can't sleep at night and you discover that pot helps you fall asleep and calm your nerves and there are fewer side effects than if you were on, say, Paxil, then, i'm sorry, but pass the bong.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:29 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 PM
I smoked pot in high school and college, and then it started to make me paranoid. I don't know why this happened, but it did. I quit with no problem. I can't say that it caused me any problems with my life. I know other people who did have their lives affected adversely by pot use. But the same thing is true of alcohol, and pot has therapeutic value as well. I think it should be legallzed and sold by prescription, not over the counter.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:31 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i've used marijuana in a semi-medicinal, self-perscribed fashion -- when you don't have health insurance and you're so consumed with anxiety that you can't sleep at night and you discover that pot helps you fall asleep and calm your nerves and there are fewer side effects than if i were on, say, Paxil, the i'm sorry, but pass the bong.
I've told the story in here before of having a diarrhea attack on a road trip. Nothing in sight but the high desert plains. Not even a bush to squat behind. My friend had some pot and I smoked a little, diarrhea instantly gone. To deny that relief to people on chemo is next to criminal, imo. But no, as Melissa Etheridge pointed out, you give them a diarrhea medicine which causes constipation and then you give them medicine to counteract the constipation, which then gives you hemorrhoids so you need a hemorrhoid medication which then makes you break out in a rash, so then you take....and on and on.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
But no, as Melissa Etheridge pointed out, you give them a diarrhea medicine which causes constipation and then you give them medicine to counteract the constipation, which then gives you hemorrhoids so you need a hemorrhoid medication which then makes you break out in a rash, so then you take....and on and on.

and keep the people buying more and more and more mediciation ....
Old 10-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I've smoke a lot of pot in my life.
Sorry - I stopped reading after this.

I too, see nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy

Sorry - I stopped reading after this.

I too, see nothing wrong with it.

Wicked. I never said I was a good typist.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:52 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
i'm not seeing the connection between any of these things -- is he in a bad place? how has his pot smoking made his daughter turn to pot? what has smoking pot prevented him from doing? could the pot smoking simply be an easy thing to blame?
I don't smoke the stuff....never have....but one of my friends who does will admit that it has affected his short term memory. Other friends who worked in the US during the summer some years ago told me about a young kid of 18 who worked with them who was so zonked out on pot that he had literally lost the power of speech. I think NBC's point is simply to do with setting a good example and whether a parent who smokes pot is doing so.

But overall, I'd say legalise it, regulate it, and put health warnings on the packs, as with tobacco. And certainly, the health warnings should specify the studies indicating apparent exacerbation by pot of mental illness in some people who have existing mental conditions - and mental illness can be every bit as debilitating as the various physical ailments caused by tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Quote:

As a parent, you see the incredible power of setting an example. Children will absorb all aspects of a parent's behavior.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

As a parent, you see the incredible power of setting an example. Children will absorb all aspects of a parent's behavior.

oh, absolutely.

but why is pot a bigger issue than, say, alcohol or eating healthy food or driving the speed limit, etc.?

also, to add one caveat to your point, while i think parents must set a good example, i think there's such a thing as setting too good an example.

i love my parents very much and am thankful every day, however, one critique that i would have of their parenting was that they tried to set too good an example. stories of junior high drinking or petty vandalism or any sort of less-than-perfect behavior were usually reacted to with a mixture of indignity and sanctimony, especially by my mother. we didn't behave that way, as their children, this was expected. and, for the most part, i was a very well behaved child.

however, what this did to me was think of my parents as *tremendously* naive. they weren't, in retrospect, but it pretty much ended any chance they might have of my being honest and open with them if i were to ever have fallen from whatever high standards of behavior they had set out as the goal.

at the end of the day, all is well, but i also think that while children absorb all aspects of a parent's behavior, parents also need to be wise to how observant their children are -- kids can smell bullshit a mile away, and i think parents would be stunned to learn at just how well their children can read and understand their parent's behavior.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:09 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I don't smoke the stuff....never have....but one of my friends who does will admit that it has affected his short term memory. Other friends who worked in the US during the summer some years ago told me about a young kid of 18 who worked with them who was so zonked out on pot that he had literally lost the power of speech. I think NBC's point is simply to do with setting a good example and whether a parent who smokes pot is doing so.
No one is saying that there aren't certain side effects to long-term pot use, or that some people may have an adverse reaction to it. I think you probably agree with me but I just had to say that before the next person writes "Well, my friend smoked pot and said it made her overeat. Another friend said it made him too paranoid to go to work. Therefore, I think it should remain illegal."

Peanuts can kill a friend of mine but should they be illegal?

Saline solution can send another friend of mine to the emergency room. Should it be illegal?

And as Irvine pointed out, look at fast food for crying out loud.

Most of the legal stuff in the average American medicine cabinet is more dangerous than marijuana is to the average person.

I think that all most advocates of legalizing/decriminalizing marijuana are saying is that it's no more harmful than alcohol; in fact, it's less harmful with more therapeutic benefits. A person can have a drink at home to relax after a hard day's work, or in times of stress, or in just hanging out with friends. Some people will get drunk and kill somebody on the highway but most people won't. I should be able to do the same with a joint without fear of being arrested. Some people will smoke marijuana, trip on their shoelaces, fall down in the street and get run over by a car, but most won't.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #60
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:46 PM
Quote:

but why is pot a bigger issue than, say, alcohol or eating healthy food or driving the speed limit, etc.?
Who's to say it isn't? I can only do what anyone else does, and speak for myslf, but I weigh all these up fairly equally in my life. But I've smoked pot before. I eat KFC occasionally. I've sped before, even got a speeding ticket (but I blamed the make of my car ) and I like a social drink. All of these things in the wrong moderation can cause anyone an ongoing amount of problems. but as a person guilty of every vice you've listed, does this mean I am at risk of throwing my life away?

I just realised this looks like I am addressing you solely, irvine. Sorry, lol. I'm not sure who I'm directing this at. Blame the years of pot smoking on my inability to keep up at this moment (not my daughter and her barking toy dog... )