Post-election Commentaries, Thoughts - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

so as i said... it's a reason, but it's an incomplete reason, not the only reason. there's more to why bush defeated kerry in these states.

yes, you're right. bush was going to win those states anyway, probably, except for Ohio (which he did win) and Oregon (which he didn't). but this helped immeasurably with the popular vote.

incidentally, guess which states in the US have the highest divorce rates? Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas.

lowest divorce rates? Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

classic scapegoating. it's comforting to believe that the problems of marriage lie with a distant "other" than in the heart of your own neighborhood and culture

Old 11-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 05:09 AM
i feel like a bladerunner , in next 4-5 years i'll be eligible for U.S. citizenship ( just recieved my green card ) , i work everyday , i study everyday , what can i say ? best of luck to the winner , the funny thing is that people in my area voted for kerry and all the states from the area voted for kerry , and kerry lives right across the sea from me , now u know where i live

Old 11-03-2004, 12:58 PM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

Sounds overheard at Kerry headquarters...
Old 11-03-2004, 12:58 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

incidentally, guess which states in the US have the highest divorce rates? Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas.

I guess these women were not obedian to their husbands. shame
Old 11-03-2004, 01:05 PM   #80
War Child

for all you people that are saying that Bush only won Ohio because the gay marriage ban brought out his base--please explain how he won the state in 2000.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant
for all you people that are saying that Bush only won Ohio because the gay marriage ban brought out his base--please explain how he won the state in 2000.
he won in 2000 due to a tactical blunder on the part of the Gore campaign -- they thought Ohio was in Bush's hands and pulled out their ground troops and resources and sent them to Florida.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

To lighten up the room, if anyone is a fan of Triumph the comic the insult dog (I think hes hilarious), click on the link to see him interview politcal heavyweights after the third debate:

http://www.ifilm.com/viralvideo?ifilmid=2653646

funny stuff.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #83
War Child

Quote:

he won in 2000 due to a tactical blunder on the part of the Gore campaign -- they thought Ohio was in Bush's hands and pulled out their ground troops and resources and sent them to Florida.
Really? So you think a couple of more tv ads in the last weeks would have put Gore over the top? So Gore lost because he didn't stay there long enough and Kerry lost because of gay marriage. Ok I guess its not possible that two elections in a row the majority of the citizens of Ohio thought that Bush was the better choice.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:17 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:09 AM
I, like many Canadians, watched with great interest until the wee hours. Ironically, from what I hear, Kerry's protectionist economic agenda would have been worse for Canada then it would be with Bush - and Bush has been pretty bad for us (softwood lumber, Canadian beef, etc) - which says a lot. But the reason I stayed up and watched wasn't because of how I thought it would affect Canada. It was because I care about the world at large. This election had a massive impact on the planet in a multitude of ways. I thought the U.S. was ready for a change, that it was ready, once again, to come along with the rest of us. Sure, the economy in the US and its national debt and deficit will not have the best effect on Canada, but it's so much bigger than national interest. Most Canadians are really disappointed in the result, and obviously almost half of Americans are too. I actually began to like Kerry after a little bit of digging. He has done much more than people really know, and I believe he actually had the average American's interest at heart. I began to see this as the more I watched him. I feel profoundly disappointed....which might seem odd given I'm not American. Please don't get offended by this. It's just my opinion.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:17 PM   #85
War Child

I had a nightmare last week where we watched all of the states south of Jersey turn red, and with a few exceptions, my nightmare came true. What I love about the Bush administration is that Wyoming gets more money for Homeland Security than New York does. Gotta love it. I think I'm going to start a Democrats in Denial club
Old 11-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant

Really? So you think a couple of more tv ads in the last weeks would have put Gore over the top? So Gore lost because he didn't stay there long enough and Kerry lost because of gay marriage. Ok I guess its not possible that two elections in a row the majority of the citizens of Ohio thought that Bush was the better choice.
of course it's possible, and in the end the people of Ohio spoke, but when elections are as close as they were in 2000 and 2004, it's these little things that pollsters, pundits, and political scientists point to that make the difference.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #87
War Child

Quote:

of course it's possible, and in the end the people of Ohio spoke, but when elections are as close as they were in 2000 and 2004, it's these little things that pollsters, pundits, and political scientists point to that make the difference.
Well I'm pretty sure that there was no way that Gore could have won the state in 2000. Kerry was another matter. He had a real shot in Ohio this time around. Dems need to migrate about 300,000 people to ohio for the next election.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:09 PM
But didn't you hear, Dick has a gay daughter
Old 11-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #89
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
Most Canadians are really disappointed in the result, and obviously almost half of Americans are too. I actually began to like Kerry after a little bit of digging. He has done much more than people really know, and I believe he actually had the average American's interest at heart. I began to see this as the more I watched him. I feel profoundly disappointed....which might seem odd given I'm not American. Please don't get offended by this. It's just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing your sentiments. I'm sure these thoughts are echoed around the world by more people than we can imagine. It is a sad day for true freedom and democracy everywhere.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:35 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:09 PM
WTF?

People voting giving George W. Bush a proper mandate, with both electoral college and popular vote and you call it a sad day for true freedom and democracy? Does this mean that if it doesn't go your way then it isn't true freedom and democracy?

Those that must suffer for such things under the thumbs of despots may have a slightly different opinion than those arrogant Americans who think that they are so much better than everybody else.
Quote:
Iranians welcome massively Bush's re-election
SMCCDI (Information Service)
Nov 3, 2004

Millions of Iranians expressed their satisfaction of the outcome of the US Presidential elections and George W. Bush's victory by calling and congratulating each other or waling in the streets and shaking each others hands or showing the V sign.

Many are speaking about the promises made by Mr. Bush to back the Iranian Nation in its quest for freedom and democracy.

As Iranians and especially the younger generations have become happy , those affiliated to the Islamic regime are seen deeply worried about their future based on crimes and corruption.

The regime and its US based known apologists and lobbyists had tried hard to make fear to Iranians on the outcome of a Bush win. Money was poured by controversial individuals, such as Akbar Ghahary the treasurer of IAPAC, to money oriented TV and radio networks, such as, 670 AM, Tamasha TV, Melli TV and a specific program of Apadana TV hosted by an ideologist named Faramarz Foroozandeh.

But all these desperate tries were not able to lure the Iranians of inside and nor especially the members of the Diaspora.

Witnessing such fiasco, the Islamic regime tried hard to bring the few thousands of professional demonstrators for its organized celebration of the 1979 attack against the US Embassy in Tehran. It's to note that the Iranian Capital has over 12 millions of inhabitants and that the today's official commemoration of one of the main Islamist act of terror ecountered another massive popular rejection.
http://www.daneshjoo.org/generalnews...cle_9114.shtml