Post-election Commentaries, Thoughts - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #46
Babyface

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller

I've never seen a newspaper telling people how to vote.
No, but they do tell people who they are going to vote for. And that's not healthy at all.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #47
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Regardless it is his last term so he can now (more than ever) afford not to care about anybody in the US or abroad.
That's your opinion, but who knows what he has in mind. All along the number one thought in my mind was, boy, this will be interesting (the repsonses from the outcome).

Old 11-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #48
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by mathieu_cpfan

No, but they do tell people who they are going to vote for. And that's not healthy at all.
How is that not healthy? Lol. I don't have the right to express my opinion and my view of something? Writers have a right to express their views, and then readers have the right to respond.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:04 PM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:57 PM
matt damon!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:05 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by RademR

Farenheit 9/11 sucked, what a dissapointment.

America spoke last night.
Matt 16:18

Well, it was nearly all summer we sat on your roof
Yeah, we smoked cigarettes and we stared at the moon
And I’d show you stars you never could see
Baby, it couldn’t have been that easy to forget about me

Baby, time meant n othing, anything seemed real
Yeah, you could kiss like fire and you made me feel
Like every word you said was meant to be
No, it couldn’t have been that easy to forget about me

Baby, even the losers get lucky sometimes
Even the lo sers keep a little bit of pride
They get lucky sometimes

Two cars parked on the overpass,
Rocks hit the water like broken glass
I should have known right then it was too good to last
God, it’s such a drag when you’re livin’ in the past

Even the losers keep a little bit of pride
They get lucky sometimes

Even the losers keep a little bit of pride
Yeah, they get lucky sometimes

Even the losers get lucky sometimes

ONLY SOMETIMES.

Take your emotional manipulation and sell it elsewhere
Old 11-03-2004, 12:05 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I lived in the middle east for 12 years, I know all about Iraq and middle eastern people. Saddam was a puppet who was absolutely no threat to the United States. He invaded a weak Kuwait and we took it back in like two days. He wasn't a problem for a whole decade, but then after 9/11, he was suddenly a problem again. There were no weapons of mass destruction, and he he might harbor terrorists, but there is NO CONNECTION between Al-Queda and Saddam. Everyone in the middle east talks about it, these guys HATE each other. Saddam is a dictator and very unreligious and Bin Laden hates him for it. And ya, maybe he did harbor some terrorists but not more than Saudi Arabia, their twice as bad. But of course, we wouldn't think about asking them to do something they don't want to do.

I'm not even a democrat, I'm bi-partisan and would have voted for Bush in 2000. I didn't like Gore, wasn't impressed with him and I thought GW was going to be a good candidate, I just feel he let me down, and a lot of other people. Just my opinion
Old 11-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #52
Babyface

Quote:

How is that not healthy? Lol. I don't have the right to express my opinion and my view of something? Then people have a right to write in and express theirs, or didn't you know that?
I think it's ethically wrong for media outlets to endorse a presidential candidate. On either sides. That has got nothing to do with freedom of speech anymore.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:07 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase [/i]
[B]

please allow myself to quote... myself....

from the closed "kerry concedes" thread...

Quote:
perhaps i should move out of the northeast and go live with my fellow no good moronic red neck bible bumpers.

ya know... kerry didn't get 100% of the vote here in the northeast, and i don't think all of us who voted for him are morons. i think we're pretty smrt, too.

I don't think you would like living in the BB with their social politics. Do you?

My friends and family are 90% GOP conservatives.

I understand your views and do not have a problem with you arriving at your conclusions based on your observations and experiences.

If you did relocate –
you may likely find yourself changing your politics.

I was a conservative when I lived in a predominately Democratic area.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:08 PM   #54
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by mathieu_cpfan

I think it's ethically wrong for media outlets to endorse a presidential candidate. On either sides. That has got nothing to do with freedom of speech anymore.
I don't know of ANY newspaper that does that. They'd get in big trouble for that. Do you know what an editorial is? It's the writer's opinion. Some writers, that's their job, to write their opinions, to get a discussion going. It's not the newspapers' opinion.

They also talk about their neighbor down the street.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
[B]Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase [/i]
I don't think you would like living in the BB with their social politics. Do you?
not at all... i like it just fine where i am, despite all the tree huggin' hippies (note: that was a joke for those who can't take one... please don't stab me)
Old 11-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #56
Refugee

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:

I think it will be a good thing whatever comes of this all. I think we can handle it. We're big kids.
You're probably right in way, I don't doubt that the American people can handle this, and many more other things, in the short-term. But I think that the general trend set by America's attitude to the rest of the world, which is a normal one for a super-power, and especially the one set by Bush, will eventually lead this country to it's own collapse.

It might be a gentle one, it might take a while still, but this way of doing things simply cannot go on forever. When I say 'collapse', I mean the world status of the US, mostly, I don't mean that the country will dissapear or be destroyed or anything.

But who knows what will happen... All I know is that the world opinion of the American people will sink to an all time low. But you don't care anyways, right?

RademR, I completely undestand your feelings, even if they might seem extreme to some people here. I'm shocked myself, and so is everyone I know.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:14 PM   #57
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by oceane

You're probably right in way, I don't doubt that the American people can handle this, and many more other things, in the short-term. But I think that the general trend set by America's attitude to the rest of the world, which is a normal one for a super-power, and especially the one set by Bush, will eventually lead this country to it's own collapse.

It might be a gentle one, it might take a while still, but this way of doing things simply cannot go on forever. When I say 'collapse', I mean the world status of the US, mostly, I don't mean that the country will dissapear or be destroyed or anything.

But who knows what will happen... All I know is that the world opinion of the American people will sink to an all time low. But you don't care anyways, right?

RademR, I completely undestand your feelings, even if they might seem extreme to some people here. I'm shocked myself, and so is everyone I know.
I'm not worried about America. I know in the end it will prevail no matter how many craggy peaks or how much quicksand we have to get through first.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by oceane

I can't believe the statements I made would seem extreme to people. Thats pretty hilarious, I respect every persons opinion here, just cause I dont have the same beliefs doesnt mean I dont respect theirs. About the draft, maybe we wont have one. I might have overstated that, but I'm sorry, I know 3 people that have died in Iraq because of this war.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #59
Babyface

Quote:

I don't know of ANY newspaper that does that. They'd get in big trouble for that. Do you know what an editorial is? It's the writer's opinion. Some writers, that's their job, to write their opinions, to get a discussion going. It's not the newspapers' opinion.
OK, so I was wrong about that.

But then the candidates should stop making these lists: johnkerry.com/pressroom/press_endorsements.html
Old 11-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We're not in the best of times. There's nothing wrong with speaking about the country you live in and love, it's postives and negatives.