Post-election Commentaries, Thoughts - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2004, 04:37 PM   #391
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Salvation by Grace - Since all good things come by the grace of God (that is, by his love, mercy, and condescension), it follows that salvation itself -- in all its forms and degrees -- is bestowed because of this infinite goodness. However, one of the untrue doctrines found in modern Christendom is the concept that man can gain salvation (meaning in the kingdom of God) by grace alone and without obedience. This soul-destroying doctrine has the obvious effect of lessening the determination of an individual to conform to all of the laws and ordinances of the gospel, such conformity being essential if the sought for reward is in reality to be gained.

Immortality is a free gift and comes without works or righteousness of any sort; all men will come forth in the resurrection because of the atoning sacrifice of Christ. (1 Cor. 15:22.) In and of itself the resurrection is a form of salvation meaning that men are thereby saved from death, hell, the devil, and endless torment. (2 Ne. 9:17-27.) "O the wisdom of God, his mercy and grace! For behold, if the flesh should rise no more our spirits must become subject to that angel who fell from before the presence of the Eternal God, and became the devil, to rise no more." (2 Ne. 9:8.) In this sense, the mere fact of resurrection is called salvation by grace alone. Works are not involved, neither the works of the Mosaic law nor the works of righteousness that go with the fulness of the gospel.

Salvation in the celestial kingdom of God, however, is not salvation by grace alone. Rather, it is salvation by grace coupled with obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. (Third Article of Faith.) Those who gain it are "raised in immortality unto eternal life." (D.&C. 29:43; 2 Ne. 9:22-24.)........be back later. Must go pick up a friend at the airport. This is not done.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #392
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 AM
I take it Ne. is a reference to some other book, not part of the Bible.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:50 PM   #393
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I take it Ne. is a reference to some other book, not part of the Bible.
Second Nephi from the book of Mormon.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:41 PM   #394
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
I liked Bush's conference. He said some good things - it actually even gave me a little hope that things might be different than his first term. Now lets see if he follows through on his word.

And boy am I glad to see Ashcroft go. Any man who spends taxpayer's money to cover up a breast on a statue should not be in a position with that much power.
Hey to be fair you, Ashcroft, there were big nipples...
Old 11-04-2004, 06:03 PM   #395
Refugee

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Dear FYMers;

There has been so much input and activity in FYM that it has been, quite frankly, very difficult for the Mods to keep up. I have received complaints several times today and have found it difficult to address them. By the time I did, the thread had already moved. However, I will address it now;

1) Because the thread has moved on, I will not close it. However, be aware that there have been SEVERAL times when this thread deserved closing down. There have been far too many insults, far too many offensive comments.

2) I am aware that it is an emotional time for everyone, and at the moment it will be very hard to be objective. But I truly reccommend that you choose your words carefully before you proceed. Whether its in this thread or any other thread.

3) This thread IS extremely close to being closed. If I see another comment that I deem blatantly offensive, I will close it.

Keep cool.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 11-04-2004, 07:18 PM   #396
New Yorker

Interesting rumors on MSNBC... If Ashcroft leaves, the candidates for Attorney General could be Marc Raciot, Larry Thompson (2nd to Ashcroft, friendly to Bush, and possibly/ potentially the first black Attorney General ever appointed), and Joe Lieberman .
Old 11-04-2004, 07:48 PM   #397
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

A little humor for everyone:

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/conte...&ratingBar=off
Old 11-04-2004, 07:56 PM   #398
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:44 AM
UN Pussy

Right Wing Nutjob
Old 11-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #399
New Yorker

LOL!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:18 PM   #400
ONE
love, blood, life

Now here is a post from The Messopotamian;
Quote:
Hi Friends,

Congratulations to all American people and to our Iraqi people for this great outcome of the American Elections. This was a great statement by the American people; a statement showing the quality and backbone of this people and affirming their worth and qualification as world leaders. Now that this matter has been settled in satisfactory manner, in my humble opinion; we should emphasize that this is no time for division and rancor. Senator Kerry has acted in very dignified manner when he did not allow the matter to drag, and has shown his patriotism and sense of responsibility and awareness that the interests of the country at these times require national unity and putting this election campaign behind our backs to concentrate on the momentous tasks ahead. Yes at times of war and conflict, the unity of the nation and putting higher interests above partisan considerations is the mark of a great people.

All those who have been following my blog from the start should know how I feel towards El Bush, the Avenger, the Lion-Heart and I cannot hide my happiness for this outcome, purely from a personal feeling of gratitude for what he has done for us, despite all the pain and hardships that we suffered and still do. But the objective is so great and so important that all sacrifices and difficulties pale when contemplating the benefits and goals that are hoped for.

And now that we have this campaign behind us, it is time to roll up our shirt sleeves and attend to the urgent business ahead. We are liberated from electoral worries and can start talking business. So for the near future I plan to tell you some of my ideas in plain and frank terms in the hope of stimulating a serious debate about how to win this war and achieve the desired objectives.

Meanwhile I don’t want to spoil this sublime moment; and raise my hand in military salute to honor our great Allied American people and their fighting men and women, who have demonstrated their true fiber and true worth through civilized democratic choice.

Hail the People’s Republic of the United States of America. It is you who have the right to use such a title and no one else.

Salaam
http://www.messopotamian.blogspot.com/
Old 11-04-2004, 11:21 PM   #401
New Yorker

LOL... Jon Stewart always comes through with the hahas & yuks....

Video
Old 11-05-2004, 12:05 AM   #402
The Fly

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Kerry built his campaign on Bruce Springsteen, Susan Sarandon, Whoopi, Ben Affleck, Michael Moore, Sheryl Crow, Bon Jovi, Blink 182...

Bush built his campaign on Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio, Arkansas, Alabama, South Dakota, Utah, Nevada, Texas...

Christian America vs. Hollywood , it's clear who won

You can be with us or against us, but you better believe one thing : Christians are done sitting at the back of the bus

... we're coming up to the steering wheel, Hollywood better sit down and shut up and get to the back of the bus, because we are SICK of them, we're sick of Will & Grace shoving the gay agenda down our children's throat at 8p.m., we're sick of the filth coming out of Hollywood, and another thing - this is just the BEGINNING, now that Christians/Catholics see that their voice counts and that we have strong numbers when we come together and we can make a change, we have only just begun the battle

us Christians are out of the back seat, we're now sitting in the drivers seat for the first time and we will like the feel of it

and in 2008, if the choices are Jeb Bush, and another liberal who bends over for Hollywood, it's safe to say Jeb will easily win, he should have no problem winning Florida and Texas, Hollywood just better stay quiet at the back of the bus, the Fire Exit is located back there - one more word out of some Hollywood libtard and they're out of here

and if you think we're joking, you saw damn well on Tuesday we're not joking, he got more votes than any President in history, and we Christians have no problem shattering that record in 2008, we're reclaiming our Country, and you ain't seen nothing yet
Old 11-05-2004, 02:20 AM   #403
ONE
love, blood, life

I personally hope that this bloc of conservative christian "values" voters are not the defining aspect of America this century - Rudy / Condi .

I guess that it goes to show if you don't have abortion or homosexuality, your demographic does increase.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:06 AM   #404
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GOP_Catholic
Kerry built his campaign on Bruce Springsteen, Susan Sarandon, Whoopi, Ben Affleck, Michael Moore, Sheryl Crow, Bon Jovi, Blink 182...

Bush built his campaign on Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio, Arkansas, Alabama, South Dakota, Utah, Nevada, Texas...

What a crock...

Kerry built his upon "I was in Vietnam" and "I'm not Bush".

Bush built his upon Swift boat Vets, FEAR, and the Christian right.

Granted these are not much better but get a grip on reality. Kerry didn't go searching for celebs to do his work, they were just sick of Bush.

It came down to two devils and one we already knew, the other never really showed his face. That's what it comes down to.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:34 AM   #405
ONE
love, blood, life

I would disagree, I think that quite a few people saw Kerry and knew that they did not want to go with that candidate, these broad generalizations about the electorate (that we all make) are really just ways of projecting and excusing. My supremely biased and unobjective opinion is that the Kedwards campaign was
> Using backdrops that were open to be questioned, e.g. Using Vietnam service and then having to go on the defensive over anti-War activities (to this day he has not signed a form 180 and had his records released, why?).
> Not wish-washiness so much as percieved softness on key issues, now this was not only the fault of the candidates or Karl Rove, there is an even ammount of blame - as there usually is in poltics.
> Not dumping Michael Moore and the entire ABB, MoveOn, DU crowd at the start of the campaign and co-opting the Deaniacs. By using the anti-War far left but trying to pawn themselves off as pro-War visionaries to lead the fight and win a war that they don't think is worth fighting and was a massive strategic blunder it seemed like hypocracy to some.

Basically there are a whole lot of reasons why they lost, it is not a case of Big Bad Rethugs scare all those people into voting for them nor is it simply that Kerry was an awful candidate with too much dirty laundry.