Post-election Commentaries, Thoughts - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #331
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

So you're just changing your position to make your argument more convincing? Two minutes ago you said you're just not attracted to women, implying that you don't have to make a conscious choice not to be attracted to them. Now you're claiming it is a conscious choice?

In any case, do you really choose to be attracted to particular men? Do you consciously say "I will be attracted to Bono, but not to the man next door"? Or do you just see a picture of Bono and are naturally attracted to him, but don't feel the same way about your neighbour?
I don't have to be attracted to Bono. I've turned that off at times. That what you do in a monogamous relationship, you know, you turn off your attraction to other men. There's some men I could NEVER be attracted to because they're just repulsive.

As for being attracted to women...if I was attracted to women it'd be the Andrea Corr/ Ali type. I could be attracted to a woman if I chose to be. Once when I was teenager I was, for about three days. She was quite a manly woman.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:33 PM   #332
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:

So you're just changing your position to make your argument more convincing? Two minutes ago you said you're just not attracted to women, implying that you don't have to make a conscious choice not to be attracted to them. Now you're claiming it is a conscious choice?

In any case, do you really choose to be attracted to particular men? Do you consciously say "I will be attracted to Bono, but not to the man next door"? Or do you just see a picture of Bono and are naturally attracted to him, but don't feel the same way about your neighbour?
Sounds like someone's flip flopping...

Old 11-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #333
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller

I don't have to be attracted to Bono. I've turned that off at times. That what you do in a monogamous relationship, you know, you turn off your attraction to other men. There's some men I could NEVER be attracted to because they're just repulsive.
The fact that you acknowledge there are some people you could never be attracted to demonstrates that sexuality can't be a choice: if it were then you would be able to choose to be attracted to whoever you wished. Why is it so hard to believe that a gay person feels about people of the opposite gender the way you do about the people you describe as "repulsive"?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #334
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

As for being attracted to women...if I was attracted to women it'd be the Andrea Corr/ Ali type. I could be attracted to a woman if I chose to be. Once when I was teenager I was, for about three days. She was quite a manly woman.
You're confusing attraction and acting upon it. So you're attracted to Bono, but only sometimes?

Even if you're in a relationship you can find other people attractive it's just natural, just don't act upon it. When you walk down the street and see another attractive man you don't notice it? So once you got married you have never noticed another man?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:41 PM   #335
Acrobat

Quote:

The fact that you acknowledge there are some people you could never be attracted to demonstrates that sexuality can't be a choice: if it were then you would be able to choose to be attracted to whoever you wished. Why is it so hard to believe that a gay person feels about people of the opposite gender the way you do about the people you describe as "repulsive"?
I think it's other things that makes someone attractive, not their sex. Like if they're in shape, etc.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #336
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:

I think it's other things that makes someone attractive, not their sex. Like if they're in shape, etc.
So whether someone works out or not is more likely to determine whether you're attracted to them than whether they're male or female? Really?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #337
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You're confusing attraction and acting upon it. So you're attracted to Bono, but only sometimes?

Even if you're in a relationship you can find other people attractive it's just natural, just don't act upon it. When you walk down the street and see another attractive man you don't notice it? So once you got married you have never noticed another man?
I think it's more like you don't dwell on it, you don't let it sink in, you don't have hungry eyes. You can have hungry eyes for anyone if you really want. I think it's a choice.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:45 PM   #338
Acrobat

Quote:

So whether someone works out or not is more likely to determine whether you're attracted to them than whether they're male or female? Really?
Sure, unless whether they are male or female is also a factor. So you can decide only people with muscles are attractive, and then say it can only be men.

I think, seriously, that attraction might not be a sexual orientation at all. So, homosexuality is a choice.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #339
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I think it's more like you don't dwell on it, you don't let it sink in, you don't have hungry eyes. You can have hungry eyes for anyone if you really want. I think it's a choice.
You are contradicting yourself. You wouldn't have to worry about it sinking in or dwelling on it if the initial attraction wasn't there. Face it you are naturally attracted to men, that's how it works. You don't wake up one morning and say I'm going to be attracted to women today because It's Wednesday.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:54 PM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:53 PM
From post election commentary to sexual attractions of mormon girls - next on FYM!
Old 11-04-2004, 01:55 PM   #341
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
From post election commentary to sexual attractions of mormon girls - next on FYM!
LOL
Old 11-04-2004, 01:57 PM   #342
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You are contradicting yourself. You wouldn't have to worry about it sinking in or dwelling on it if the initial attraction wasn't there. Face it you are naturally attracted to men, that's how it works. You don't wake up one morning and say I'm going to be attracted to women today because It's Wednesday.
I get the feeling that some people want this particular strain stopped, lol.

I think you wake up every day with the choice, just like you wake up every day with the choice of whether or not you are going to swear, smoke, be rude to people, be happy, etc.

I like the idea that it's a choice.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #343
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Yes it's quite a journey but actually FYM as a whole has changed in the past few days. A swarm of new people left and right and tempers are high. I thought it would cool down, but no sign as of yet.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #344
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I get the feeling that some people want this particular strain stopped, lol.

I think you wake up every day with the choice, just like you wake up every day with the choice of whether or not you are going to swear, smoke, be rude to people, be happy, etc.

I like the idea that it's a choice.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.
I dare say if you took a poll, that 99% of the people in here would say that the attraction they feel towards a paticular sex be it male or female, would say it's natual and not a concious choice. I know mine is. But I will end this debate for it's going nowhere.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #345
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:53 PM
If people choose to believe that incest = homosexuality or polygamy = homosexuality... go right ahead. I did not argue that. The point of referencing those "lifestyles" was to contest the defintition of bigot as mentioned by Diemen. Nothing about homosexuality is the same as incest, etc. Of course they are not exactly the same just as heterosexuality is different from homosexuality.

People make arguments that they are not the same thing b/c of the "negative conseqences" in terms of children (i.e. birth defects). Howver do you believe there isn't some love relationship (no matter how sick - my opinion) that is being repressed by society and government (e.g. regulated unfairly)? People can make issues about birth defects but that "problem" can be circumvented.

So now, voila - incest is ok. However, I disagree... it could just under the premise that it is very unhealthy relationship be it spiritual or psychological. I then say lets try to regulate it. Does it make me a bigot? Under, Diemen's argument I am a bigot, b/c I'm preventing mutual love from coming about. I diasagree. Therefore I disagree with the idea that all people who oppose gay marriage as bigots. Maybe there are people who are genuinely repulsed by gay people and hate them no matter what and do so in foward and active matter with no explanation. I can call them bigots. People who are responsive to gays and repectful but disagree with an issue (for whatever reason) are not bigots.

As for the issue about choice vs. genetics in the homosexual debate... I'm not going to touch it but I'm interested in knowing the "proof" that states gay people are gay b/c of genetics and they can't help it. I only know possible theories but nothing concrete. From what I understand, people point to a combination of things from environment, genetics, etc... Reading some of the above posts people make it sound like its absolute truth that its "genetic" and I'd like to find out more about the smoking gun.

~note... I believe there maybe some genetic predisposition...