Post-election Commentaries, Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RademR said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK, sorry for the language, I apologize, but WHAT THE HELL ARE PEOPLE THINKING?

What an awful day in American history, in world history. Our economy is completely horrible, prices are way up, we're in a country we have no business being in, and top it off....he just lifted the ban on assault weapons.. HURAYYY!!

America's thought they put into voting seriously reminds me of middle school, when we voted for class president. Remember? One guy wins when he says "I'll put coke in all of the water fountains" or "I'll extend lunch one hour." And then he wins. Forget about young middle and lower class kids dying in Iraq for no reason, its all about ethics and gay marriage. It's like all the people in the south and midwest just sit around and watch FOX NEWS all day, and don't have a clue whats going on in the rest of the world.

It is UNBELIEVABLE that people voted for this guy...I dont mean to bash the Bush supporters, this is a democracy, but can you seriously watch the debates and listen to Bush talk and actually think he should be the leader of the free world? GIVE ME A BREAK. This is going to be a long 4 years.

please allow myself to quote... myself....

from the closed "kerry concedes" thread...

it's a great day, regardless of who won. we had yet another election without blood shed... without a military coup... where the will of the people decided who should be president. people waited in lines for hours to have their voices heard. today is a great day for america. a great day.

america survived pearl harbor, america survived vietnam, america survived watergate, america survived dan quayle, america survived monica lewinsky, america survived 9/11... america would have survived if john kerry has been elected, and america will survive with 4 more years of bush.

RademR said:

keep thinking that my friend, after Bush invades another country for no reason he'll need some good young Americans to serve the time that he never did.

i will keep thinking that. i dont recall going to invade a country for no reason, but alright, you can think that too. but what i do know is that there won't be a draft. i'm 17, and i support bush and the republican party. i think now that i said that i'm gonna get crucified in this forum now though :wink:

Headache is a sensible man (at least for a Republican). :wink: Seriously, RademR, relax. I may have the same political beliefs as you but not the same bleak outlook.

what is the reason we're in iraq? try and convince me. Forgive me, cause I'm just trying to vent, I dont want to bash anyone for voting for Bush, this can just be a good politcal debate.

I feel depressed at the results today, but I don't think that for the rest of the world, the difference will be that big in the short-term. I mean, Kerry would not have completely changed the US foreign policy anyways, since he operates in a difficult political context.

But I really feel for all Americans who voted for Kerry and are worried about the state of their country. I would take this extremely seriously if I was American.

But on the global level, the symbolic effect is very important. All of you pro-Bush Americans can say that you don't care about the rest of the world all you want, that we don't really understand your country, that it's not our business, etc. But that fact is the sentiment today is absolute disbelief. Newspapers and radio shows are filed with people who cannot believe how anyone in their right mind would have voted for Bush.

I feel the same way. And yes, I am convince there is a big part of igorance behind the what motivated 51% to vote for Bush. I'm not saying that's the case for everyone, I can understand some people have important values that make them vote Republican no matter what.

But today America is completely isolated from the rest of the world. I'm afraid many Americans don't quite understand to what extent yet, and how much, whether they like it or not, it will eventually have a big impact on their lives.

with all the money in the world of Geogre Soros
with the loud speaker of Michael Hamburger Moore

the Heart and Soul of America could not be intimidated or sold out.

peace,
db9

enggirl said:

The man said that the Iraq-war protesters were 'irrelevant'
I think he prolly has the same opinion for those who voted for Kerry.

I think my message and almost half of the voters got heard. But we'll see, huh? We'll see if he starts to unify this country. I think THAT was the ultimate message.

oceane said:
I feel depressed at the results today, but I don't think that for the rest of the world, the difference will be that big in the short-term. I mean, Kerry would not have completely changed the US foreign policy anyways, since he operates in a difficult political context.

But I really feel for all Americans who voted for Kerry and are worried about the state of their country. I would take this extremely seriously if I was American.

But on the global level, the symbolic effect is very important. All of you pro-Bush Americans can say that you don't care about the rest of the world all you want, that we don't really understand your country, that it's not our business, etc. But that fact is the sentiment today is absolute disbelief. Newspapers and radio shows are filed with people who cannot believe how anyone in their right mind would have voted for Bush.

I feel the same way. And yes, I am convince there is a big part of igorance behind the what motivated 51% to vote for Bush. I'm not saying that's the case for everyone, I can understand some people have important values that make them vote Republican no matter what.

But today America is completely isolated from the rest of the world. I'm afraid many Americans don't quite understand to what extent yet, and how much, whether they like it or not, it will eventually have a big impact on their lives.

I think it will be a good thing whatever comes of this all. I think we can handle it. We're big kids.

Last edited:
the reason we are in iraq is to take out terrorist cells in the world, to bring the people to justice that were responsible to the attacks on 9/11. part of the war on terror.

sure, you can say that there is no direct link between 9/11 and iraq, and you can say that we haven't found any WMD's yet.

but then you can also say that iraq harbored terrorists, had an awful dictator who had a hatred for america, had terrorist training grounds in their country, and even had a fuseloge of a plane where terrorists could practice hijacking planes.

i guess we could just not send any message to terrorists and merely not attack anybody who is a threat to our country, could be a threat to our country, or harbors those who are and could be a threat to our country. that makes sense to me.

i'd rather fight the war there than fight the war here. that's for sure. i'd rather be wrong in iraq than be wrong on 9/11 again. i'd rather live in a world without saddam husein in power than with one with him in power.

Regardless it is his last term so he can now (more than ever) afford not to care about anybody in the US or abroad.

BrownEyedBoy said:
It's the Democrats fault for coming up with such a crappy candidate. If they would've given a better option I guarantee he would've been elected over Bush.

The whole basis of the non-Bush supporters is exactly that: Anyone but Bush. You can't base a campaign on that.

It somehow managed to backfire on them into a "Anyone but Kerry - even if it's Bush" result.

Kerry is so bad he made Bush look good. :huh:

There is much truth in this. For me, now that the election has been completed (at least as the media is concerned), it would be interesting to go back to the beginning and figure out exactly where Kerry was touted as being the best. My initial guess is that after Howard Dean's scream, someone decided that hey, that craggy guy looks like he's the strongest! :wink:

DrTeeth said:
Regardless it is his last term so he can now (more than ever) afford not to care about anybody in the US or abroad.

That's your opinion, but who knows what he has in mind. All along the number one thought in my mind was, boy, this will be interesting (the repsonses from the outcome).

mathieu_cpfan said:

No, but they do tell people who they are going to vote for. And that's not healthy at all.

How is that not healthy? Lol. I don't have the right to express my opinion and my view of something? Writers have a right to express their views, and then readers have the right to respond.

RademR said:

Farenheit 9/11 sucked, what a dissapointment.
RCP-FINAL.gif

America spoke last night.
Matt 16:18
pictures-michael-moore.jpg
George-Soros-Statesman2jun03.GIF

Well, it was nearly all summer we sat on your roof
Yeah, we smoked cigarettes and we stared at the moon
And I’d show you stars you never could see
Baby, it couldn’t have been that easy to forget about me

Baby, time meant n othing, anything seemed real
Yeah, you could kiss like fire and you made me feel
Like every word you said was meant to be
No, it couldn’t have been that easy to forget about me

Baby, even the losers get lucky sometimes
Even the lo sers keep a little bit of pride
They get lucky sometimes

Two cars parked on the overpass,
Rocks hit the water like broken glass
I should have known right then it was too good to last
God, it’s such a drag when you’re livin’ in the past

Even the losers keep a little bit of pride
They get lucky sometimes

Even the losers keep a little bit of pride
Yeah, they get lucky sometimes

Even the losers get lucky sometimes

ONLY SOMETIMES.

Take your emotional manipulation and sell it elsewhere:down:

I lived in the middle east for 12 years, I know all about Iraq and middle eastern people. Saddam was a puppet who was absolutely no threat to the United States. He invaded a weak Kuwait and we took it back in like two days. He wasn't a problem for a whole decade, but then after 9/11, he was suddenly a problem again. There were no weapons of mass destruction, and he he might harbor terrorists, but there is NO CONNECTION between Al-Queda and Saddam. Everyone in the middle east talks about it, these guys HATE each other. Saddam is a dictator and very unreligious and Bin Laden hates him for it. And ya, maybe he did harbor some terrorists but not more than Saudi Arabia, their twice as bad. But of course, we wouldn't think about asking them to do something they don't want to do.

I'm not even a democrat, I'm bi-partisan and would have voted for Bush in 2000. I didn't like Gore, wasn't impressed with him and I thought GW was going to be a good candidate, I just feel he let me down, and a lot of other people. Just my opinion :wink:

U2Traveller said:

How is that not healthy? Lol. I don't have the right to express my opinion and my view of something? Then people have a right to write in and express theirs, or didn't you know that?
I think it's ethically wrong for media outlets to endorse a presidential candidate. On either sides. That has got nothing to do with freedom of speech anymore.

Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase [/i]

please allow myself to quote... myself....

from the closed "kerry concedes" thread...

perhaps i should move out of the northeast and go live with my fellow no good moronic red neck bible bumpers.

ya know... kerry didn't get 100% of the vote here in the northeast, and i don't think all of us who voted for him are morons. i think we're pretty smrt, too.

I don't think you would like living in the BB with their social politics. Do you?

My friends and family are 90% GOP conservatives.

I understand your views and do not have a problem with you arriving at your conclusions based on your observations and experiences.

If you did relocate –
you may likely find yourself changing your politics.

I was a conservative when I lived in a predominately Democratic area.

mathieu_cpfan said:

I think it's ethically wrong for media outlets to endorse a presidential candidate. On either sides. That has got nothing to do with freedom of speech anymore.

I don't know of ANY newspaper that does that. They'd get in big trouble for that. Do you know what an editorial is? It's the writer's opinion. Some writers, that's their job, to write their opinions, to get a discussion going. It's not the newspapers' opinion.

They also talk about their neighbor down the street.

Last edited:
U2Traveller said:

I think it will be a good thing whatever comes of this all. I think we can handle it. We're big kids.

You're probably right in way, I don't doubt that the American people can handle this, and many more other things, in the short-term. But I think that the general trend set by America's attitude to the rest of the world, which is a normal one for a super-power, and especially the one set by Bush, will eventually lead this country to it's own collapse.

It might be a gentle one, it might take a while still, but this way of doing things simply cannot go on forever. When I say 'collapse', I mean the world status of the US, mostly, I don't mean that the country will dissapear or be destroyed or anything.

But who knows what will happen... All I know is that the world opinion of the American people will sink to an all time low. But you don't care anyways, right?

RademR, I completely undestand your feelings, even if they might seem extreme to some people here. I'm shocked myself, and so is everyone I know.

oceane said:

You're probably right in way, I don't doubt that the American people can handle this, and many more other things, in the short-term. But I think that the general trend set by America's attitude to the rest of the world, which is a normal one for a super-power, and especially the one set by Bush, will eventually lead this country to it's own collapse.

It might be a gentle one, it might take a while still, but this way of doing things simply cannot go on forever. When I say 'collapse', I mean the world status of the US, mostly, I don't mean that the country will dissapear or be destroyed or anything.

But who knows what will happen... All I know is that the world opinion of the American people will sink to an all time low. But you don't care anyways, right?

RademR, I completely undestand your feelings, even if they might seem extreme to some people here. I'm shocked myself, and so is everyone I know.

I'm not worried about America. I know in the end it will prevail no matter how many craggy peaks or how much quicksand we have to get through first.

oceane said:

I can't believe the statements I made would seem extreme to people. Thats pretty hilarious, I respect every persons opinion here, just cause I dont have the same beliefs doesnt mean I dont respect theirs. About the draft, maybe we wont have one. I might have overstated that, but I'm sorry, I know 3 people that have died in Iraq because of this war.

U2Traveller said:

I don't know of ANY newspaper that does that. They'd get in big trouble for that. Do you know what an editorial is? It's the writer's opinion. Some writers, that's their job, to write their opinions, to get a discussion going. It's not the newspapers' opinion.
OK, so I was wrong about that. :confused:

But then the candidates should stop making these lists: johnkerry.com/pressroom/press_endorsements.html

Last edited:
We're not in the best of times. There's nothing wrong with speaking about the country you live in and love, it's postives and negatives. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom