Post-election Commentaries, Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps they should realize that we want a leader of our own country. Alienation is a two way street. You can't sit there, pointing at Bush and cry "he is alienating us" when your own hands are dirty.

U2_Guy said:

If the result left America bitterly divided, it left Europe remarkably united — wondering why Americans would want another four years of a man whose words and deeds have alienated most of the U.S.'s allies.

Hmm. Does that make us divided? No. No. We are not divided. Nice to know you were united for the game, but as with everything soon everything gets back to normal. Watch and see.

nbcrusader said:
Perhaps they should realize that we want a leader of our own country. Alienation is a two way street. You can't sit there, pointing at Bush and cry "he is alienating us" when your own hands are dirty.

Exactly. It's a two-way street, as is everything else.

Oh, I think we're schooling Europeans.

U2_Guy said:

Oh i c: if you warn ppl b4 that you gonna kill them its ok...

And my friend: the UN didn't allow the invasion. And if Hussein was ample warned he did what he had to do: nothing. CAUSE IT WAS PROVED THEY DIDN'T HAVE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!

yes, if you say that SH must comply with many, many UN-passed resolutions or else he will be invaded, then that country has options available to it that might prevent an attack.

the same cannot be said of 9-11. and be careful: i know people who died in the WTC, and i know people who ran out of that building.

you're also running on thin ice when you start defending a homocidal dictator.

Irvine511 said:

yes, if you say that SH must comply with many, many UN-passed resolutions or else he will be invaded, then that country has options available to it that might prevent an attack.

the same cannot be said of 9-11. and be careful: i know people who died in the WTC, and i know people who ran out of that building.

you're also running on thin ice when you start defending a homocidal dictator.

Am i deffending Bush? Are you nuts??

Bottom-line, America can't and shouldn't bend to your will. We are not weak. Why do you want us weak? How will that benefit you? Then you hope you will be strong? That's not how it works. Then we'll all just be weak, and defenseless.

nbcrusader said:

this is a good point. there's a tendency on the part of the US to say, "well if you don't like us, we don't like you." it's bad for business on both sides, however much i might sympathize with european concerns.

U2_Guy said:

Am i deffending Bush? Are you nuts??

you were defending Saddam Hussein, a homocidal dictator. Bush, terrible as he may be, was democratically elected.

your equivocations are increasingly desperate.

Irvine511 said:

you were defending Saddam Hussein, a homocidal dictator. Bush, terrible as he may be, was democratically elected.

your equivocations are increasingly desperate.

Am i deffending Hussein? Hmmmm yes, i guess i am...

The ROW reads and understands what we read and the news were clear even b4 the US invaded Iraq: there wasn't no weapons of mass destruction (the excuse used to invade Iraq). I guess in America ppl don't get to read those news...

I have to say that I absolutely LOVE Americans. I love how we stick together even if we don't always agree, no matter how opposite we may be on some things...I really do.

When it comes right down to it, Americans WILL stick together and fight for each other if we have to. It is an American phenomenon that we've seen many times before, and it's amazing.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

No, we've got quite an impression of you.

agreed. he makes life for those of us who are against Bush, against the invasion of Iraq, and for greater multilateralism on the part of the US much more difficult.

U2_Guy: you're not helping the cause! back up your assertions with fact and reason! you're heart is in the right place, but your arguments cannot be sustained!

U2_Guy said:

The ROW reads and understands what we read and the news were clear even b4 the US invaded Iraq: there wasn't no weapons of mass destruction (the excuse used to invade Iraq). I guess in America ppl don't get to read those news...

I guess we are blessed to have a representative of ROW here.

You are flat out wrong, however, on your assessment of Iraq before the war.

Irvine511 said:

agreed. he makes life for those of us who are against Bush, against the invasion of Iraq, and for greater multilateralism on the part of the US much more difficult.

U2_Guy: you're not helping the cause! back up your assertions with fact and reason! you're heart is in the right place, but your arguments cannot be sustained!

I agree. People like this do make it more difficult for those who don't agree with how Bush has done things...not easier.

nbcrusader said:

I guess we are blessed to have a representative of ROW here.

You are flat out wrong, however, on your assessment of Iraq before the war.

You're welcome!

And LOLOLOLOL now i know you ppl don't read those news! LOLOLOL

I think that the key is that the WHOLE WORLD, not just the ROW is in a battle. We ALL are, and the U.S. just seems to be the stage, where, actually, it very much should be.

Don't go condemning the stage and the podium for change!

U2_Guy said:

no, you're wrong. the one thing the world was in agreement on was the presence of weapons and weapons programs. further, it was the 2002 british government dossier that stated, clearly, that SH could arm and launch a biological or chemical attack with a warhead in under 45 minutes. much of the intelligence came from the British, and much of that intelligence proved to be wrong.

go back and look at Hans Blix's presentation to the UN in regards to the success (or lack thereof) of the weapons inspectors in Iraq. Blix says, basically, nothing. no proof for, no proof against, mostly because he's a big diplomat and knows how to cover his ass.

the debate, at the time, was not whether or not there were weapons, but whether or not those weapons were an *imminent* threat. in the end, everyone was wrong. and i bet you Hussein was surprised too -- i bet he though he had weapons, but due to the secrecy and paranoia of a police state like Iraq, one scientist lies to the other, one official lies to the other, and they tell SH what he wants to hear.

again, you're speaking for the rest of the world. bad idea.

Irvine511 said:

no, you're wrong. the one thing the world was in agreement on was the presence of weapons and weapons programs. further, it was the 2002 british government dossier that stated, clearly, that SH could arm and launch a biological or chemical attack with a warhead in under 45 minutes. much of the intelligence came from the British, and much of that intelligence proved to be wrong.

go back and look at Hans Blix's presentation to the UN in regards to the success (or lack thereof) of the weapons inspectors in Iraq. Blix says, basically, nothing. no proof for, no proof against, mostly because he's a big diplomat and knows how to cover his ass.

the debate, at the time, was not whether or not there were weapons, but whether or not those weapons were an *imminent* threat. in the end, everyone was wrong. and i bet you Hussein was surprised too -- i bet he though he had weapons, but due to the secrecy and paranoia of a police state like Iraq, one scientist lies to the other, one official lies to the other, and they tell SH what he wants to hear.

again, you're speaking for the rest of the world. bad idea.

Now i know how allienated the US are...

Why do you think the world didn't support the war?? I'm sure now you get different news from us...

I feel sorry for you...you seem like a good person who believes in stuff they kinda force you to believe...

U2_Guy said:

You're welcome!

And LOLOLOLOL now i know you ppl don't read those news! LOLOLOL

U2guy, you're embarassing yourself. Come up with some solid points or back out. Laughing at the other side instead of providing some solid backup to your argument just makes you look bad, not them.

U2_Guy said:
Why do you think the world didn't support the war?? I'm sure now you get different news from us...

Ignorance? Unwillingness to act? Fear of losing $$$ contracts with Iraq? Did you ever consider that there were reasons other than "we are absolutely right"?

Perhaps you could stop and see there is a bigger world outside your own room.

Last edited:
You know, Bono is a really great person, isn't he? I really like him. I'd like to have him as a friend besides our obvious differences and probably differences of opinion.

Don't you think he's great? I think he really exemplifies how a non-American should and can be. You know how that is? He doesn't hate us, loves us, in fact, respects us, admires us, and doesn't shoot his mouth off even though everyone knows he has an obvious opinion. He respects people and also believes that they are good and have good motives for things they do. He may not agree, but, then again, he's smart enough not to cut off his nose to spite his face.

Eventually, in the end, things get worked out.

I so miss Bono.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom