Post-election Commentaries, Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Salvation by Grace - Since all good things come by the grace of God (that is, by his love, mercy, and condescension), it follows that salvation itself -- in all its forms and degrees -- is bestowed because of this infinite goodness. However, one of the untrue doctrines found in modern Christendom is the concept that man can gain salvation (meaning in the kingdom of God) by grace alone and without obedience. This soul-destroying doctrine has the obvious effect of lessening the determination of an individual to conform to all of the laws and ordinances of the gospel, such conformity being essential if the sought for reward is in reality to be gained.

Immortality is a free gift and comes without works or righteousness of any sort; all men will come forth in the resurrection because of the atoning sacrifice of Christ. (1 Cor. 15:22.) In and of itself the resurrection is a form of salvation meaning that men are thereby saved from death, hell, the devil, and endless torment. (2 Ne. 9:17-27.) "O the wisdom of God, his mercy and grace! For behold, if the flesh should rise no more our spirits must become subject to that angel who fell from before the presence of the Eternal God, and became the devil, to rise no more." (2 Ne. 9:8.) In this sense, the mere fact of resurrection is called salvation by grace alone. Works are not involved, neither the works of the Mosaic law nor the works of righteousness that go with the fulness of the gospel.

Salvation in the celestial kingdom of God, however, is not salvation by grace alone. Rather, it is salvation by grace coupled with obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. (Third Article of Faith.) Those who gain it are "raised in immortality unto eternal life." (D.&C. 29:43; 2 Ne. 9:22-24.)........be back later. Must go pick up a friend at the airport. This is not done.

Diemen said:
I liked Bush's conference. He said some good things - it actually even gave me a little hope that things might be different than his first term. Now lets see if he follows through on his word.

And boy am I glad to see Ashcroft go. Any man who spends taxpayer's money to cover up a breast on a statue should not be in a position with that much power.

Hey to be fair you, Ashcroft, there were big nipples...

Dear FYMers;

There has been so much input and activity in FYM that it has been, quite frankly, very difficult for the Mods to keep up. I have received complaints several times today and have found it difficult to address them. By the time I did, the thread had already moved. However, I will address it now;

1) Because the thread has moved on, I will not close it. However, be aware that there have been SEVERAL times when this thread deserved closing down. There have been far too many insults, far too many offensive comments.

2) I am aware that it is an emotional time for everyone, and at the moment it will be very hard to be objective. But I truly reccommend that you choose your words carefully before you proceed. Whether its in this thread or any other thread.

3) This thread IS extremely close to being closed. If I see another comment that I deem blatantly offensive, I will close it.

Keep cool.

Ant.

Now here is a post from The Messopotamian;
Hi Friends,

Congratulations to all American people and to our Iraqi people for this great outcome of the American Elections. This was a great statement by the American people; a statement showing the quality and backbone of this people and affirming their worth and qualification as world leaders. Now that this matter has been settled in satisfactory manner, in my humble opinion; we should emphasize that this is no time for division and rancor. Senator Kerry has acted in very dignified manner when he did not allow the matter to drag, and has shown his patriotism and sense of responsibility and awareness that the interests of the country at these times require national unity and putting this election campaign behind our backs to concentrate on the momentous tasks ahead. Yes at times of war and conflict, the unity of the nation and putting higher interests above partisan considerations is the mark of a great people.

All those who have been following my blog from the start should know how I feel towards El Bush, the Avenger, the Lion-Heart and I cannot hide my happiness for this outcome, purely from a personal feeling of gratitude for what he has done for us, despite all the pain and hardships that we suffered and still do. But the objective is so great and so important that all sacrifices and difficulties pale when contemplating the benefits and goals that are hoped for.

And now that we have this campaign behind us, it is time to roll up our shirt sleeves and attend to the urgent business ahead. We are liberated from electoral worries and can start talking business. So for the near future I plan to tell you some of my ideas in plain and frank terms in the hope of stimulating a serious debate about how to win this war and achieve the desired objectives.

Meanwhile I don’t want to spoil this sublime moment; and raise my hand in military salute to honor our great Allied American people and their fighting men and women, who have demonstrated their true fiber and true worth through civilized democratic choice.

Hail the People’s Republic of the United States of America. It is you who have the right to use such a title and no one else.

Salaam
http://www.messopotamian.blogspot.com/

Kerry built his campaign on Bruce Springsteen, Susan Sarandon, Whoopi, Ben Affleck, Michael Moore, Sheryl Crow, Bon Jovi, Blink 182...

Bush built his campaign on Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio, Arkansas, Alabama, South Dakota, Utah, Nevada, Texas...

Christian America vs. Hollywood , it's clear who won

You can be with us or against us, but you better believe one thing : Christians are done sitting at the back of the bus

... we're coming up to the steering wheel, Hollywood better sit down and shut up and get to the back of the bus, because we are SICK of them, we're sick of Will & Grace shoving the gay agenda down our children's throat at 8p.m., we're sick of the filth coming out of Hollywood, and another thing - this is just the BEGINNING, now that Christians/Catholics see that their voice counts and that we have strong numbers when we come together and we can make a change, we have only just begun the battle

us Christians are out of the back seat, we're now sitting in the drivers seat for the first time and we will like the feel of it

and in 2008, if the choices are Jeb Bush, and another liberal who bends over for Hollywood, it's safe to say Jeb will easily win, he should have no problem winning Florida and Texas, Hollywood just better stay quiet at the back of the bus, the Fire Exit is located back there - one more word out of some Hollywood libtard and they're out of here

and if you think we're joking, you saw damn well on Tuesday we're not joking, he got more votes than any President in history, and we Christians have no problem shattering that record in 2008, we're reclaiming our Country, and you ain't seen nothing yet

I personally hope that this bloc of conservative christian "values" voters are not the defining aspect of America this century - Rudy / Condi :hmm: .

I guess that it goes to show if you don't have abortion or homosexuality, your demographic does increase.

GOP_Catholic said:
Kerry built his campaign on Bruce Springsteen, Susan Sarandon, Whoopi, Ben Affleck, Michael Moore, Sheryl Crow, Bon Jovi, Blink 182...

Bush built his campaign on Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio, Arkansas, Alabama, South Dakota, Utah, Nevada, Texas...

:lmao:

What a crock...

Kerry built his upon "I was in Vietnam" and "I'm not Bush".

Bush built his upon Swift boat Vets, FEAR, and the Christian right.

Granted these are not much better but get a grip on reality. Kerry didn't go searching for celebs to do his work, they were just sick of Bush.

It came down to two devils and one we already knew, the other never really showed his face. That's what it comes down to.

I would disagree, I think that quite a few people saw Kerry and knew that they did not want to go with that candidate, these broad generalizations about the electorate (that we all make) are really just ways of projecting and excusing. My supremely biased and unobjective opinion is that the Kedwards campaign was
> Using backdrops that were open to be questioned, e.g. Using Vietnam service and then having to go on the defensive over anti-War activities (to this day he has not signed a form 180 and had his records released, why?).
> Not wish-washiness so much as percieved softness on key issues, now this was not only the fault of the candidates or Karl Rove, there is an even ammount of blame - as there usually is in poltics.
> Not dumping Michael Moore and the entire ABB, MoveOn, DU crowd at the start of the campaign and co-opting the Deaniacs. By using the anti-War far left but trying to pawn themselves off as pro-War visionaries to lead the fight and win a war that they don't think is worth fighting and was a massive strategic blunder it seemed like hypocracy to some.

Basically there are a whole lot of reasons why they lost, it is not a case of Big Bad Rethugs scare all those people into voting for them nor is it simply that Kerry was an awful candidate with too much dirty laundry.

Last edited:
SilentRunning ran this....
With the Un-re-defeat of President Chimpy McSmirk, the world's dumbest Nazi, many people naturally enough are now resignedly awaiting the call from the mobile megaphone trucks for all homosexuals to assemble at the appelplatz in Times Square for "resettlement to the West". Others are attempting to dodge the mines, machinegun nests and barbed wire to make it to blessed freedom in Canada. Still more are attempting to memorise the latest editions of "The New York Review of Books" and "Tikkun", like in "Farenhet 451", so at least part of western intellectual life might survive the bonfires being stoked by the grim-visaged Creationists even as we speak.

Yes, it's the Fall of Night in AmeriKKKa. No doubt about it. The crushing of all dissent is well advanced, as the government turns us into pathetic sheeple.I heard Michael Moore talking about that on "Entertainment Tonight". And all those books down at Barnes and Noble keep telling us all about the sinister plans by Karl Rove to make the Bible compulsory. And of course Professor Chomsky has long been trying to let us know about the brutal crackdown on independent academics. He himself is down to his last Alfa-Romeo convertible. Ben Affleck is probably going to be forced to do a sequel to "Reindeer Games" as a hideous example of what happens to those who dare defy the Will of Jesus by opposing His chosen vessel. He might even start to run out of Jennifers to date! When will our long national nightmare end?

Okay, enough brutal mockery for today. The sun will rise tomorrow
..... brilliant.

and then there is some other pieces
This wasn't an anti-gay election result at all. This was simply middle America saying that civil unions and being fair and giving folks a square deal is one thing, and, well it's not exactly their own cup of tea but if they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses then it's none of anyone's beeswax. But when you start using the word "marriage", then you're starting to impinge on religion, and folks have a lot of respect for things like churches, ministers, the Bible and what's right and what's wrong.

Adam and Steve are welcome to live next door and do whatever it is they like to do. They're perfectly nice young men I suppose. This is America after all, and we don't like to pry into people's private affairs, unless its on Jerry Springer, in which case those trash folk dang well asked for it. But in a church? In front of a minister? In front of God and the congregation. No sir. It's just not right.

There's a high-tide mark to all movements for social change, and I think this is it. The Left likes to believe it has a lock on history, and that its pet projects are historically inevitable. They thought the same here in Australia about their little scheme to turn us into a Republic. Still do in fact. But nothing can continue forever, and eventually movements go that one step too far and trigger a response.

And by and large, I think the social revolution of the 1960s is over for the simple reason that the Left won! Equal rights for women? Gay rights? Civil rights? Access to jobs and education for all? Those battles were fought and won years, in some cases decades ago. Attempting to take them further is starting to become counterproductive. Civil Rights is a fine cause, but it's begun to morph into an unpleasant sort of race hucksterism that people like Jesse Jackson indulge in.

Likewise gay rights. Now there is still a problem when what happened to Matthew Shepherd still occurs. And the mere existence of people like Pastor Fred Phelps of Topeka is an affront to the concept of a merciful God. But people, try to remember this. It wasn't that long ago that Fred Phelps would have represented the overwhelming majority of people. His views today were normative for most of the 20th century. That fact that he's such an isolated whacko today ought to tell you something.

Obligatory note to try to stave off accusations of homophobia: In 1985 I was an activist in the Homosexual Law Reform Bill campaign in New Zealand, sponsored by Fran Wilde. I was one of the first members of the Wellington chapter of HUG (Hetrosexuals Unafraid of Gays), and seconded a resolution passed by the New Zealand Jewish Students Association in favour of the bill (the only Jewish organisation to do so, for which were were roundly criticised by other parts of the Jewish community).

Yeah, I'm just a bible-thumping, knuckle-dragging, sister-humping NASCAR-fan redneck who listens to Toby Keith. The Left has my number allright.

http://silentrunning.tv/

Last edited:
it wasn't the right result i was waiting for.....................it's gonna be a catastrophe for the next years, al qaeda will improve its violence more and more if bush won't cease this stupid fucking war

GOP_Catholic said:

You can be with us or against us, but you better believe one thing : Christians are done sitting at the back of the bus

... we're coming up to the steering wheel, Hollywood better sit down and shut up and get to the back of the bus, because we are SICK of them, we're sick of Will & Grace shoving the gay agenda down our children's throat at 8p.m., we're sick of the filth coming out of Hollywood, and another thing - this is just the BEGINNING, now that Christians/Catholics see that their voice counts and that we have strong numbers when we come together and we can make a change, we have only just begun the battle

us Christians are out of the back seat, we're now sitting in the drivers seat for the first time and we will like the feel of it

we're reclaiming our Country, and you ain't seen nothing yet

wow. that's quite hateful. funny, i always thought it was black people who were sent to the back of the bus, not christians. in fact, christians have always been in power in this country. i don't know where you get the sense that you're somehow out of power -- just talk to someone who isn't christian, or, better, someone who is christian but doesn't support an evangelical agenda whereby everyone must follow in lockstep lest ye be condemned to hell.

reclaiming the country? you've always had it.

it's comments like these that give Christians a bad name, and there are MANY Christians who would be deeply offended by that entire post. i'm a confirmed Catholic, so don't you dare pretend to speak for me.

also, i'm gay, but i'm not totally clear on the gay agenda. maybe i missed out on it at the meetings? could you tell me what it is? self-proclaimed righteous christians seem to have a much better idea of it than anyone else.

gee, i'm beginning to feel like a Jew in 1930's Germany.

btw, "us Christians" is gramatically incorrect. the correct pronoun in that instance would be "we Christians."

but i guess we can only expect so much from a blinkered worldview.

Hi Irvine

I just wanted to say I'm a Catholic too, and I don't think that way at all. I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that there are many people here who don't

All my best to you :)

MrsSpringsteen said:
Hi Irvine

I just wanted to say I'm a Catholic too, and I don't think that way at all. I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that there are many people here who don't

All my best to you :)

right back at you!

i know that a post like that is most offensive to the people he/she claims to represent.

thanks for speaking out!

Well I'll probably be attacked for saying what I said, but I don't care.

I would think those statements are offensive to you most of all , so I just felt the need to say something. I don't presume for one second to know what it's like for you, but I just wanted to say what I said in the hopes it might help a bit.

337,000 new jobs this October, though uneemployment rate went up to 5.5%. Not bad. Actually pretty good. You can parse the numbers but its almost twice as much then expected. I hope the economy keeps going like this and the soft patch is over. Bush or Kerry.... screw that... go USA...

Originally posted by Irvine511 [

i know that a post like that is most offensive to the people he/she claims to represent.
[/B]

Yes, it is. Folks like GOP there are going to be pretty surprised at the resistance to his agenda from within the Church.

Those who do not know love, do not know God.

Peace,
SD (who has a lot more to say but sadly no time now to say it...heading out of town....)

I agree that there will be more of the same, and even stronger from all those who voted for Bush this time if the other candidate can't improve their image. Truly, celebs have a bad image in middle America.

accurate websites.

On the issue of accurate political websites election predictors and posters that predict, I summit this link to you.

They have been some posters here that have called members names told members to fu*k off and have been down right rude. before the election

I forgive those misguided folk unconditionally, hoping they will learn from their follies.

Here's the link.:)-

http://realclearpolitics.com/election2004-final.html

peace,
db9

Well, i gave the subject (Bush's reelection) more thoughts and i think i'm happy with it.

With him in charge, the USA will sink rapidly, much faster than i thought. It will go down to the ground. And i'll be here laughing at the ppl who put this monkey on the White House again.

Go USA, go for more Vietnams, and one day you gonna get Hiroshima in yer face. It's karma.

Keep your greedy and your hunger for power and money. That will lead you in 20-50 years time to the situation the ex-URSS countries are now.

And we (ROW) will be laughing at you.

As for the ppl who didn't vote for the monkey Bush... good luck. Maybe you can do better next time.

U2_Guy said:
Well, i gave the subject (Bush's reelection) more thoughts and i think i'm happy with it.

With him in charge, the USA will sink rapidly, much faster than i thought. It will go down to the ground. And i'll be here laughing at the ppl who put this monkey on the White House again.

Go USA, go for more Vietnams, and one day you gonna get Hiroshima in yer face. It's karma.

Keep your greedy and your hunger for power and money. That will lead you in 20-50 years time to the situation the ex-URSS countries are now.

And we (ROW) will be laughing at you.

As for the ppl who didn't vote for the monkey Bush... good luck. Maybe you can do better next time.

I hope you don't really mean that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom