possible source for a BBC story Dr David Kelly murdered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
:sad:
BBC News

Police searching for the weapons expert suggested by the government as the possible source for a BBC story on Iraq say the body they have found matches Dr David Kelly's appearance.

The body was found at 0920 BST by a member of the police team searching for Dr Kelly in a wooded area at Harrowdown Hill, near Faringdon, Oxfordshire.

Government adviser Dr Kelly, 59, went missing from his home in Southmoor, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, at about 1500 BST on Thursday.

The body was found lying on the ground, a police spokeswoman said.

She said items had been removed from Dr Kelly's house as they would in any missing person's inquiry.

The body was found around five miles from Dr Kelly's home...

...The BBC correspondent has refused to name his source, but the MoD said Dr Kelly had come forward to say it may have been him.

Dr David Kelly's one source for BBCs story that downing street has "sexed up" the Iraq-papers to find a reason to start that war.

Klaus

I just read about this this morning. Very sad. But still no word on what the cause of death was. I guess we shall have to wait and see.

Saturday July 19, 02:13 PM

Scientist Kelly died of a slit wrist

LONDON (Reuters) - Police have said a WMD scientist whose death has further embarrassed Prime Minister Tony Blair's government over the Iraq war died of a slashed wrist, with no indication anyone else was involved.

"The post-mortem has revealed that the cause of death was haemorrhaging from a wound to his left wrist," a police spokesman told a televised briefing on Saturday

Now they start to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of David Kell. I'm curious what will come up in these investigations.

The Prime Minister (Blair) tried to tell the Judge what to examine and what not.
But luckily Mr. Hutton made clear today that he insists on independence in the range of his investigation.

Well i guess for that case i should find a new British Newspaper since BBC might be a little biased in this case :)

Klaus

Since my favourite British news source (BBC) could be biased in this case i searched for other uk-news-sources.

Here's an interesting article i've found:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1001072,00.html

ragic price of contempt for free press

A man may have died as a result of the government's contempt for one of the cornerstones of democracy - a free and independent press

Steven Barnett
Friday July 18, 2003

One of the fundamental differences between genuine democracies and totalitarian regimes is a free press.

The BBC response was robust, defending not only Gilligan's journalism, but pointing out a similar and completely independent report on Newsnight four days later: its science correspondent Susan Watts also reported a conversation with "a senior official", saying that intelligence services came under heavy political pressure to include evidence that weapons of mass destruction could be ready for use within 45 minutes.

While the Newsnight story went unchallenged, battle raged over the authenticity of Gilligan's source. Then, a name "emerged" from the Ministry of Defence. Dr Kelly was named by ministers, who insisted that he came forward voluntarily after "discussions with a colleague".

I'm looking forward to Lord Huttons investigations

Klaus

Okay, for anyone who thinks that Blair had anything to do with David Kelley's death, I'd like for you to ask yourself this question:

What would he have to gain? Kelley has already come forth with his "information". Killing him would be nothing more than a "revenge" killing at this point. Do any of you think that Blair is stupid enough to risk his entire political career, not to mention the possibility of prison, to commit a "revenge" killing?

It just doesn't pan out.

80sU2isBest:

There are various opetunities:
- Mr. Kelly commited suicide because his name "emerged" from the Ministry of Defence
- Mr. Kelly commited suicide because of the abuse of the informations of the BBC
- Mr. Kelly was murdered because someone wanted to damage Mr. Blair
- Mr. Kelly commited was murdered to prevent more leaking to the press in the futore
i guess i could go on for hours with ideas.

I am curious who did it and why - that's why i like a independent investigation (hopefully done by Lord Hutton)

I guess this one was the official statement from his family:
We are utterly devastated and heartbroken by the death of our husband, father and brother.

We loved him very much and will miss his warmth, humour and humanity.

Those who knew him will remember him for his devotion to his home, family and the community and countryside in which he lived.

A loving, private and dignified man has been taken from us all.

Events over recent weeks made David's life intolerable and all of those involved should reflect long and hard on this fact
Dr Kelly's family

Klaus

Klaus, you make some good points. I hadn't thought about any of the other possible motives.

The BBC 'taped Kelly's WMD concerns'

BBC News:

The BBC is expected to submit the tape as part of its evidence to the judicial inquiry led by Lord Hutton into Dr Kelly's death.

On Newsnight on 2 and 4 June, Ms Watts had quoted an unnamed source at length, as saying the government was "obsessed with finding intelligence on immediate Iraqi threats".

The source was reported as questioning the claim that Iraq could launch weapons of mass destruction within 45 minutes.

"It was a statement that was made and it just got out of all proportion," the source said.

"They were desperate for information, they were pushing hard for information which could be released. That was one that popped up and it was seized on and it's unfortunate that it was.

"That's why there is the argument between the intelligence services and the Cabinet Office/No 10 - because they picked up on it and once they've picked up on it, you can't pull it back from them."

The Guardian says the tape's existence explains the corporation's determination to stick by its story, under the onslaught of criticism from government figures.

Other newspapers on Wednesday continue to question who was responsible for Dr Kelly's name becoming public.

Prime Minister Tony Blair on Tuesday "emphatically" denied he had authorised Dr Kelly's identity to be made public.

That has made several commentators look again at Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon, who had previously insisted the MoD made great efforts to protect the anonymity of Dr Kelly.

I hope they release the complete tape to the public

Back
Top Bottom