Population Growth Greater in Red States

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not only that, but trends have changed in several states as well. I never thought that West Virginia would start going Republican. It used to be a pocket-book voting labor state; now the evangelical conservatives are winning in it. Virginia is turning into a swing state; it used to be the most Republican state in the South, which, let's not forget, used to be solidly Democratic. I'm frankly confused about what's going on in Southern politics. We've had some moderate progressives in the past, Clinton was from Arkansas and Gore from Tennessee. Maybe it's just good old American fickleness.

Verte,

There's also been an increase in mobility over the last 50 years. Many yanks are coming down south, which is why VA is becoming a swing state. And vice versa. At least that's my theory.

That's very true U2democrat, people are moving more than they used to. We have many transplanted Yanks in our Southern states. We have a bunch of scientists from all over employed at the University Hospital, which is the biggest employer in Birmingham. For a long time the biggest employer in Birmingham was the steel industry, and we had all of these steelworkers. Then we got the scientists from all over who have a more liberal tendency, and we got a liberal voting bloc in Birmingham, which influenced our local politics. This was good because it helped rid Birmingham of those old racist monsters who used to run this place. The monsters are still there, and still have power, but they also have opposition. I really think Birmingham politics has gotten sour due to a bunch of corruption. We have moderately liberal leadership but I'm telling you corruption has really reared its ugly head and screwed up City Hall. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: There is a terrific book about the civil rights movement in Birmingham called "Carry Me Home" by Diane McWhorter, who is from a prominent Birmingham family. She did twenty years of research writing the book. Whew!

Last edited:
the reason the south went republican was due to LBJ's rather brilliant passing of the Civil Rights Act in 1964. it was said that he'd lost the south for the democrats for a generation. it's now looking like two.

this is not to imply that all southerners are racists, just enough to have given the South a red tint for since Nixon.

Irvine511 said:

this is not to imply that all southerners are racists, just enough to have given the South a red tint for since Nixon.

Race wins elections for the GOP in the Confederate States now.

Interesting. Boise the next hot town? I woudn't doubt it. It seems I have started conversations with random people who tell me they are taking their family and moving to Boise because they can get a much bigger house there for less.

why don't all those Red Staters take all that federally funded, garbage-science advice they dispense like Pez on all us secular/liberal/promiscuous/gay Blue Staters and goddamn ABSTAIN!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom