Pope tries to heal rift after controversy - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Pope tries to heal rift after controversy

I saw this on the Turkish Daily News site. I'm cutting and pasting the article because of registration requirements.

Pope tries to heal rift
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
print this page mail to a friend

Inter-faith dialogue crucial to peace

CASTEL GANDOLFO, Italy - AFP and Reuters

Pope Benedict XVI told Muslim envoys here on Monday that a dialogue between Christians and Muslims was "vital" to preserving peace and stability in a world threatened by religious tensions.

"I should like to reiterate all the esteem and the profound respect that I have for Muslim believers," the pontiff told the ambassadors and charge d'affaires from 22 Muslim countries that he had invited to his summer residence outside Rome.

The meeting was the latest step in an unprecedented diplomatic offensive by the Vatican aimed at mollifying Muslim anger over recent comments by the pope in which he quoted from a medieval text that criticized some teachings of the Prophet Mohammed as "evil and inhuman."

"I am profoundly convinced that in the current world situation it is imperative that Christians and Muslims engage with one another in order to address the numerous challenges that present themselves to humanity," the pope said.

"Christians and Muslims must learn to work together ... in order to guard against all forms of intolerance and to oppose all manifestations of violence," he added.

The meeting at Castel Gandolfo, which had been heavily promoted by the Vatican as a major step in reaffirming the pope's commitment to inter-religious harmony, lasted barely 30 minutes.

After his address, the pope shook hands and exchanged a few words with the assembled envoys, some of whom expressed satisfaction with the meeting.

"I think it is time to put what happened behind us and build bridges among all the civilizations," said Iraqi Ambassador Albert Yelda, who nevertheless defended the anger that had greeted the pope's comments earlier this month.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Refugee

I find it interesting that it took the Vatican 50 years to apologize for its silence on the Holocuast and the current Pope has spent the better part of a month in non-stop apology mode for (insensitive, badly-timed) remarks he probably still believes to be true.

Building bridges is a good thing

Old 09-26-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, it took us a long time to clean up the WWII fiasco. This was addressed at Vatican II, actually, I get so disgusted at right wing Catholics like Mel Gibson who blame all of the problems in the Catholic Church on Vatican II. Excuse me, the priest sex scandal was because of Vatican II?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
War Child

Pope Benedict XVI
Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, he's a bright guy, he just doesn't have Pope John Paul II's' charisma. So his job is a little harder.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Yeah, he's a bright guy, he just doesn't have Pope John Paul II's' charisma. So his job is a little harder.
I'll take brains and wisdom over charisma.

However, I think John Paul II had both That certainly helps in the day and age of Mass Media.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 02:15 AM
hmmm... i wish I would agree with you verte and nube gris...
Old 09-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
I find it interesting that it took the Vatican 50 years to apologize for its silence on the Holocuast and the current Pope has spent the better part of a month in non-stop apology mode for (insensitive, badly-timed) remarks he probably still believes to be true.
I don't know

could it be?

maybe ?

he was not quite ready for a JPII moment.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:15 PM
he gives me the dry heaves. and his predecessor, too.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
he gives me the dry heaves. and his predecessor, too.
What about this guy ?

"Egyptian Cleric Safwat Higazi Explains His Fatwa Sanctioning the Killing of Israelis Visiting Egypt"

http://www.memritv.org/Transcript.asp?P1=1276

or this guy ?

In a parched clearing a few hundred yards on, more than 100 Taliban fighters ranging in age from teenagers to a grandfatherly 55-year-old have assembled to meet their provincial commander, Muhammad Sabir. An imposing man with a long, bushy beard, wearing a brown and green turban and a beige shawl over his shoulders, Sabir inspects his troops, all of them armed with AKs and rocket-propelled grenade launchers. He claims to have some 900 fighters, and says the military and psychological tide is turning in their favor. "One year ago we couldn't have had such a meeting at midnight," says Sabir, who is in his mid-40s and looks forward to living out his life as an anti-American jihadist. "Now we gather in broad daylight. The people know we are returning to power."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975282...site/newsweek/
Old 09-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

I'll take brains and wisdom over charisma.

However, I think John Paul II had both That certainly helps in the day and age of Mass Media.
I agree, I really think John Paul had it all. He was a great pope, and he may be canonized some day.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

It's unfortunate that the Taliban is picking up steam in Afghanistan, but Egypt is a moderate Muslim state that recognizes Israel and it will continue to do so.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Egypt is a dictatorship that only recognises Israel because of the billions of dollars in military aid that the USA gives it. The support for the Muslim Brotherhood does not seem to be insignificant.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

he was not quite ready for a JPII moment.

lmao indeed...the bullet-proof Popemobile isn't suicide bomber-proof.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:17 PM   #15
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

What about this guy ?

"Egyptian Cleric Safwat Higazi Explains His Fatwa Sanctioning the Killing of Israelis Visiting Egypt"

http://www.memritv.org/Transcript.asp?P1=1276

or this guy ?

In a parched clearing a few hundred yards on, more than 100 Taliban fighters ranging in age from teenagers to a grandfatherly 55-year-old have assembled to meet their provincial commander, Muhammad Sabir. An imposing man with a long, bushy beard, wearing a brown and green turban and a beige shawl over his shoulders, Sabir inspects his troops, all of them armed with AKs and rocket-propelled grenade launchers. He claims to have some 900 fighters, and says the military and psychological tide is turning in their favor. "One year ago we couldn't have had such a meeting at midnight," says Sabir, who is in his mid-40s and looks forward to living out his life as an anti-American jihadist. "Now we gather in broad daylight. The people know we are returning to power."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975282...site/newsweek/
Yes, dearest toscano. I dislike those who are morally worse than the pope. Are you honestly asking this, or are you a bit of a 5-pack?