Pope to visit Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Pope urges dialogue of civilizations
Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Turkey trip to help West-Islam dialogue

ANKARA - Turkish Daily News

A senior Vatican cardinal said yesterday that Pope Benedict XVI would use his trip to predominantly Muslim Turkey, scheduled for Nov. 28-30, to promote greater dialogue between Islam and the West.

“This is one of the main problems today, to come to a relationship with Islam that will not be a clash of civilizations but a dialogue between civilizations,” Cardinal Walter Kasper, head of the Council for Christian Unity, said in an interview with the Reuters news agency.

“Of course, nobody wants a clash of cultures. It would be disastrous for the whole world,” Kasper said, adding that he expected the pope to speak on relations with Islam at meetings with the Turkish government in Ankara before going to Istanbul.

Prior to becoming pope, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger gave a controversial interview arguing that Europe's roots are Christian and that a Muslim country would not fit in.

verte76 said:
Pope urges dialogue of civilizations
Tuesday, March 28, 2006

“This is one of the main problems today, to come to a relationship with Islam that will not be a clash of civilizations but a dialogue between civilizations,” Cardinal Walter Kasper, head of the Council for Christian Unity, said in an interview with the Reuters news agency.

“Of course, nobody wants a clash of cultures. It would be disastrous for the whole world,” Kasper said, adding that he expected the pope to speak on relations with Islam at meetings with the Turkish government in Ankara before going to Istanbul.

this is good

coexist :up:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I wonder what all the Christian zealots that attacked Bono for this message will say?

Now that it's Pope-approved, they'll probably love it.

Call me naive, but the more I live, the more I realize we're all the same guy. Maybe we're about to see the reign of the second "cool pope," one who shares Bono's coexistence message. It's a nice thought.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I wonder what all the Christian zealots that attacked Bono for this message will say?

If I recall, Bono wasn't questioned for his "coexist" statement, but the unsaid suggestion that "all is true".

nbcrusader said:

If I recall, Bono wasn't questioned for his "coexist" statement, but the unsaid suggestion that "all is true".

Not all, yes there were those that harped on the semantics, but some it was the message itself.

And to many a pope reaching out, IS legitimizing a religion that is "untrue".

verte76 said:
Prior to becoming pope, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger gave a controversial interview arguing that Europe's roots are Christian and that a Muslim country would not fit in.

Ignorant. There were Celts before of Christians and Ratzinger knows that very well.

This man is good at ignoring things.

angelordevil said:
Maybe we're about to see the reign of the second "cool pope," one who shares Bono's coexistence message. It's a nice thought.

Dream on.

To be a cool pope, Ratzinger would need to start and focus on liberation theology. Travelling to Turkey means zilch for the poor people.

In approaching an interfath dialogue where neither party wishes to treat the other as an equal there will not be a solution, the religious components are detestable at times - the only common thread that we have is that we are all human beings.

deep said:
but, all is true

unless you are hung up on some sloppy editing put into a manuscript for political advantage

OK, mutually inconsistent statements are now "true"

I think brushing over that part is sloppy.

A_Wanderer said:
In approaching an interfath dialogue where neither party wishes to treat the other as an equal there will not be a solution, the religious components are detestable at times - the only common thread that we have is that we are all human beings.

The pope will want to stress the common humanity of all people, so I agree with you there. At the same time there's going to be a tacit "we agree to disagree on the status of Jesus and Mohammed, we can be friends despite this" agreement.

Back
Top Bottom