Pope Benedict: gays have no social or moral value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A_Wanderer said:
So the pope is probably still straight.

Phew :wink:

well, i'll post this again. sounds to me like this Pope really does promote and endorse the "gay lifestyle":

[q]NewsTrack
Benedict known for clothes style
VATICAN CITY, Nov. 4 (UPI) -- Pope Benedict XVI is developing a reputation as a clotheshorse with his taste for Prada shoes and designer sunglasses.

The pope has also reportedly turned to another tailor for his vestments, dropping Annibale Gammarelli, whose firm has been serving the Vatican since 1792.

The Tablet, a Roman Catholic newspaper in England, points to the new pope's expensive sunglasses, which Vatican officials say were a present. He has also been spotted in baseball caps and red shoes from Prada.

Pope John XXIII may have splurged on his Popemobiles. But his taste in clothes was extremely simple, demonstrated by the worn loafers that were on his feet as his body lay in state.

The new pope's relationship with Gammarelli is unclear. The Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera suggested what is in play is Benedict's comfort with what he knows and he is more comfortable with the tailor who made his vestments while he was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.

The Tablet, on the other hand, said that Gammarelli made three cassocks in different sizes to be available for whoever was elected by the papal conclave. Unfortunately, none of them fit Benedict well, forcing him to appear in one that was too large.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20051104-033138-4056r

[/q]

i mean, i wish i could afford red shoes from Prada.

instead, i have to settle for Pumas.

oh well.

Maybe he's just jealous that his predecessor got to wear Bono's sunglasses. Acting out, you know.

and to think these things don't have repercussions ...

[q]Priest hurt in homophobic beating

A priest has been beaten with a metal baseball bat in what police say was an unprovoked homophobic attack.

The Rt Rev Dr Barry Rathbone, 37, was sitting in Bournemouth Central Gardens eating a burger after a night out, when he was approached by a man and a woman.

The man began shouting homophobic abuse and hit Dr Rathbone, who is openly gay, leaving him with two broken ribs and several broken fingers.

He said his dog collar was hidden under a scarf at the time of the attack.

Police said the assault, in the early hours, was "totally unprovoked".

Dr Rathbone, of Winton, is an International Community of St John the Divine priest for the Beacon Project at Boscombe's East Cemetery Chapel.

He told the BBC News website he had spent the evening at the Exchange gay bar when he was attacked on his way home.

The assailant also shouted expletives relating to Dr Rathbone's sexual orientation, he said.

"I admit I am an openly-gay priest but [my sexuality] doesn't define me," Dr Rathbone said.

"Being gay is just part of my personality. I don't look gay, if there is such a thing. I was just sat on a stone wall eating a burger."

Dr Rathbone, who is a well-known figure in the area where he works promoting safe sex in the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community, said he wanted others to learn from his experience.

'Cowardly attacker'

"I have chosen to have my name published [after the attack] because a lot of people know me and they can now put a face to the person that's been attacked.

"Quite often people empathise when they hear someone's been attacked, but they don't know them.

"Hopefully, by being named, it will make people more careful when they go out."

Det Con Trevor Hughes, of Bournemouth police, said: "It's quite likely that this cowardly attacker went out with the weapon looking to cause someone injury and it's vital that I speak with anyone who has any information at all about this incident."

Story from BBC NEWS: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/ /2/hi/uk_news/england/dorset/4486500.stm
[/q]

but don't worry! since he's of no social or moral value, you needn't feel badly about the attack!

Irvine511 said:

actually, most cross-dressers are straight.

drag queens, however, are gay.

;)

well, obviously then i mean he looks like a drag queen....
*feeling stupid/lame for not knowing the difference between a cross-dresser and a drag queen

blueyedpoet said:

well, obviously then i mean he looks like a drag queen....
*feeling stupid/lame for not knowing the difference between a cross-dresser and a drag queen

aw, that's okay.

most straight people don't.

drag is performance, and most drag queens don't walk around the house in their costumes or wear women's underware to work. drag is supposed to be big, inflated, campy, over-the-top, and outrageous, gobs and gobs of make-up and an outrageous wig. the Drag Queen performs exaggerated female behavior, and it actually has a lot in common with a minstrel show, witness the various drag queen idols of Liza Minelli, Cher, Madonna, Annie Lennox, Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Mariah Carey, etc. (all themselves over-the-top caricatures). it's about performance, not about sexual pleasure.

whereas most cross-dressers are usually straight men who dress up in their wives stockings or underware when they get home -- it's more accuately described as transvestic fetishism, usually because they associate female clothing with sexual arousal.

though, it must be said, as with all of these sexual taboos, it's pretty difficult to get an accurate survey -- people lie about sex and sexual desire, as well we all know.

So the Rat Singer reckons gays have no social or moral value?

Look who's talking...

He's got no right to say that, and he's a disgrace to the human race.

We should all reject the divisive opinions of shallow, bigoted individuals like him, who encapsualte the main obstacle in our quest for total international equality.

A weak and shallow man, who should be completely stripped of the powers he possesses.

Even his predecessor, JP2, had more class...

It's still nice to see how human interpretates religion to his own will... ;) I personaly don't need the church to tell me what to think about other humans, weither they prefer men or women in their beds. It's none of our buiseness anyway and I've never been tromatised seeing two people of the same sex kissing. I'm just sad for the ones who believe that Vatican is right... so sad...

I find myself wishing he had stayed quiet, like he did for the last six months or so. Well the Catholic church grew up long ago, and it's more than the sum of its parts. Benedict most certainly does not speak for me.

intedomine said:
Even his predecessor, JP2, had more class...

No, he didn't. That's where "romanticism" comes in. JP2 said the same kinds of derogatory comments about homosexuals and supported everything that Cardinal Ratzinger did as head of the Congregation for the Defense of Faith. Lest we forget, JP2 appointed him in the first place! For some reason, the press never liked to expose that "dark side" of JP2, but enjoys it with Ratzinger here. In reality, though, both popes are two-of-a-kind from a morality POV.

And that's why I will never share all the warm and fuzzy sentiment of "John Paul the Great." :rolleyes:

Melon

melon said:

No, he didn't. That's where "romanticism" comes in. JP2 said the same kinds of derogatory comments about homosexuals and supported everything that Cardinal Ratzinger did as head of the Congregation for the Defense of Faith. Lest we forget, JP2 appointed him in the first place! For some reason, the press never liked to expose that "dark side" of JP2, but enjoys it with Ratzinger here. In reality, though, both popes are two-of-a-kind from a morality POV.

And that's why I will never share all the warm and fuzzy sentiment of "John Paul the Great." :rolleyes:

Melon

ever wonder if Ratzinger was selected in order to make JP2 look like that much more of a saint in comparison?

melon said:

Melon

Don't get me wrong, I still reckon JP2 was a wanker. But I can't help but sense that there is something inherently sinister about the way The Rat Singer has so far conducted himself. He seems even less open to change and to associate with people he would deem as "undesirable", than JP2.

Both, as far as I'm concerned, are nasty little bigots...but The Rat Singer seems much worse than Jp2

I can't really accept "gays have no social or moral value", coming from the Christian church. I suppose I see it as a double standard.

It seems so...... unreligious a statement.
So base, so primitive.
I cannot accept that God, if he is as powerful as the church wants him to appear, would feel that way concerning gay people. (as in, such a standpoint, in my own belief, is purely a human and tainted position to hold)

That's terrible. Being gay is not wrong. Is it wrong to love someone? If so then we might as well all be sinners. Just becuase the person you love is of the same sex does not make your relationship any less inferior to a heterosexual partnership.

It's ashame that, the Pope is more or less the representative of the Catholic Church, because most people will probably now think all Catholics are like this. But they aren't. I can't speak for them, but I highly doubt they are this narrow-minded.

I, personally, do not follow a set religion (although, I do believe there's something after death) but your sexuality should not make your relationship with God any less or more inferior/superior. If everyone is equal in God and Jesus' eyes, then why can't the Pope see that?

"I admit I am an openly-gay priest but [my sexuality] doesn't define me," Dr Rathbone said.

What Dr Rathbone said is true. Being gay/bisexual/lesbian/etc does not make you any less of a person.

Besides, the Church is just a way of trying to control people. You don't need a building to tell you what your relationship with God is.

I say: Let them wallow in their ignorance! If they want to be narrow minded primitives, let 'em.

(I know most people will have probably said more or less what I've written but I like to have my opinion, as we all do.)

Last edited:
I'm a practicing Catholic, but this is not my view of gays. How can the Pope talk about human rights or human dignity and then say things like this? It's not consistent.

Back
Top Bottom