Poor Nations Want Access to Vital Drugs - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2003, 04:14 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 06:40 AM

A quote from Bono:
"I am made sorely aware of how we need the
pharmaceutical companies - we need their scientists …
their research departments… their determination - to
reduce the cost of these life-saving drugs. I make a
note to ring Ray Gilmartin of Merck and Peter Dolan of
Bristol Myers Squibb. I know they're paying attention." I didn't cite the actual speech that this quote came from but I think it was from one during his tour of the Mid West.

Like all of you that have responded in this thread, I am mostly discouraged about the lack of responsibility that pharmaceutical companies have taken in this crisis. There are a few glimmers of hope though. Check out http://www.securethefuture.com. Sherry Darling got me going last year on writing Congress so I have taken it a bit further and have written Peter Dolan of Bristol Myers Squibb a couple of times this past year and praised him the work with Secure the Future and encouraged him to also work towards allocating more of his company's money to efforts like this. In addition, I've asked for compassion in providing free drugs to African nations.

Here's the address if you'd like to provide him with another nudge.

Peter R. Dolan,
Chairman and
Chief Executive Officer
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
World Headquarters
345 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10154-0037

Old 02-09-2003, 04:30 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
scarlet -- interesting you brought up the cost of TV ads. There was a story I came across recently that said more Americans than ever are asking doctors for drugs and part of the reason is because of the ads.

These ads have led to the over-medication of seniors. I love my grandmother but she's a drug addict. She takes so many pills for so many things. I understand she's old and may have to take things to keep her body going but drugs and drugs and drugs are over the top. The leading cause for people to go in to rehab is for prescription drugs like pain killers. My grandmother, like most seniors, has been on painkillers for YEARS and yet no one seems concerned by this trend.

Maybe instead of worrying about a nation-wide prescription plan for seniors, we should worry about over-medication of seniors. Hell, maybe we should worry about the over-medication of everyone in this country.

Good points. I remember going to a nursing home when I was an allied health student and looking at the charts. It's insane how much medication they were giving out. Do they really need all of this stuff? It's scary.

Old 02-09-2003, 06:26 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Speaking as someone who worked in a pharmacy for several years, I agree with the points scarletwine made about many people being overmedicated. It wasn't unusual for me to dispense scripts with eight or nine items on them and often the patient hadn't even seen his/her doctor in months, they were simply a regular repeat prescription without ever being reviewed. Often the patients wouldn't even know why they were taking a medication, for instance, they'd take an analgesic four times daily without realising it was only necessary if they were suffering from pain. Alternatively they'd be prescribed one medication, and suffer from side-effects, but instead of considering changing the initial treatment, their doctors would prefer to add another medication to treat the side-effect.

So I'd agree partly it's irresponsible marketing by pharmaceutical companies, although in the UK pharmaceuticals are primarily marketed to physicians as prescription medications can't be advertised to the public here. However, it's also partly that doctor's don't have time to treat their patients properly - if a GP is expected to spend less than ten minutes with a patient then it's easy for them to look for a 'quick-fix' solution which is often to prescribe them medication instead of actually looking further at the problem. That's one of the reasons that anti-depressents are so over prescribed - it's easier to write a script for fluoxetine, paroxetine, venlafaxine etc than to refer a patient to a counselor, particularly when you know there's a six month waiting list for treatment.

:::refrains from long rant about the NHS::: Honestly, you'd wonder why I want to work for them, wouldn't you?
Old 02-09-2003, 08:03 PM   #19
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 02:40 PM
Melon:
I agree with Dreadsox, that capitalism in healthcare industry is problematic since it would be verry lucrative not to cure patients but make them dependent on the pills you produce.

Klaus
Old 02-09-2003, 08:20 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Melon:
I agree with Dreadsox, that capitalism in healthcare industry is problematic since it would be verry lucrative not to cure patients but make them dependent on the pills you produce.

Klaus

I agree.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:41 PM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by hotpepper

Like all of you that have responded in this thread, I am mostly discouraged about the lack of responsibility that pharmaceutical companies have taken in this crisis. There are a few glimmers of hope though. Check out http://www.securethefuture.com. Sherry Darling got me going last year on writing Congress so I have taken it a bit further and have written Peter Dolan of Bristol Myers Squibb a couple of times this past year and praised him the work with Secure the Future and encouraged him to also work towards allocating more of his company's money to efforts like this. In addition, I've asked for compassion in providing free drugs to African nations.

Here's the address if you'd like to provide him with another nudge.

Peter R. Dolan,
Chairman and
Chief Executive Officer
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
World Headquarters
345 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10154-0037

We were on a roll, weren't we? Thanks so much for this info, Angel! We can't overlook ANY of the livesaving angels on this issue, and the drug makes are a HUGE one!

SD