Poll Says Giuliani Is Most Popular US Politician

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
AFP

Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani is the most popular politician in the United States, according to a national poll this week testing support for US political leaders -- including potential candidates in the 2008 presidential race.

The survey of some 1,900 voters by the Quinnipiac Polling Institute asked respondents to rate several nationally known politicians on a scale from 0 to 100, with higher numbers reflecting higher regard.

Giuliani topped the list, with an average score of 63.5 percent, followed by Democratic Senator Barack Obama, seen as one of his party's rising stars. Obama scored 59.9.

In third place was maverick veteran Republican US Senator John McCain at 59.7, followed by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice with a score of 57.1.

Former US President Bill Clinton rounded out the top five with a score of 56.1 in the poll by the Hamden Connecticut-based political institute, which it called the survey a "feeling thermometer" of the US political climate.

His wife, US Senator Hillary Clinton, seen as the Democrats' top bet to run for the White House in 2008, came in eighth place, with a score of 50.4.

Neither US President George W. Bush, nor Vice President Dick Cheney scored in the top 10 . Bush's score was 44.1 while Cheney's was 41.0.

"This first thermometer of American leaders is a cold shower for President Bush, Vice President Cheney and for Senator Clinton, who is not as hot as Senator Obama," said Peter Brown, assistant director at Quinnipiac's polling institute.

The poll was conducted between February 21 and 28, and had a plus or minus 2.3 percent margin of error.

It doesn't surprise me that Bush isn't even in the top ten of this list. I think it's interesting that Giuliani is the most popular politician in the U.S. given his position on abortion. I wonder if it will hold up until 2008? I'm also not surprised that Hillary Clinton is only eighth. She's way too divisive to be a good Democratic candidate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom