Poll: Is George W. Bush becoming unpopular????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: re: making the world a safer place

joyfulgirl said:
bush_ducttape.jpg

:yes: :up: ::bow: :hyper: :dance:

Anti-Bush
Hes a corporate puppet, a moron, and it sickens me that in America you can ride your fathers coattails into the white house.
I heard I cool lil song recently
if youre corporate fraud is growin, bomb Iraq
and if youre personal ties are showin, bomb Iraq

sung to the tune of 'If youre happy and you know it'
I cant remember the rest of it

melon said:

I don't think what Bush is doing is sacrificing a "small amount" of liberty. The Patriot Act of 2001 authorizes domestic espionage and secret trials. I don't think that is what classical liberals envisioned, particularly since they revolted against imperial kingdoms that did both. :sexywink:

Melon

This may be true, however, we no longer follow the classic liberal theory in our government. Government has played an increaingly larger role in our everyday lives. Social Security, Welfare, and various other federal run social programs have no place in the classic liberal government, yet they are alive and well in the US. Liberal theory revolted against arbitrary government, particular in against Monarchs in France and Britain. The US revolution was not a revolt against tyranical government, it was over the the right of self sovereignty. The colonies and Britain actually had virtually identical ideological beliefs (Whig Ideology).
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that while the founders may have formed the US Govt based on the Classic liberal state (Locke in particular), the state has evolved into an increasingly intrusive state, moving further away from it's origins. The patriot act is justified on two counts, one which I've already stated, and on a secondary level that follows the increased role of the federal govt that justifies further intrusion into our privacy in order to protect us. :sexywink:

Dreadsox said:

I just want to jump in here. Arab governements in public have not always stated publicly what they are saying privately.

This may or may not be different than any governement, but it is particularly true, for them, that they make public statements to appease their populations, and then say another thing in private.

Peace

This is true. Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of those governments. It was just in the headlines on my ISP that Iraq and Kuwait are having a monumental dispute at the summit. Surprise, surprise........

Back
Top Bottom