Poll: If Election were today, would you vote Bush? (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If the election was held today, would you vote to re-elect Bush?

• Yes

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 81.4%

• Total voters
My answer to this question is a big, fat, resounding NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd thought Edwards sounded like a promising choice for the Dems, but his momentum is nowhere right now. I'd be interested in hearing more about Graham. I don't think Dean could win, which is too bad.

I wish "liberal" wasn't such a dirty word in this country.

And although I'm still upset at Bubba for the whole Monica incident, Clinton is still the best president I've seen in my lifetime.

Diane L said:
My answer to this question is a big, fat, resounding NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd thought Edwards sounded like a promising choice for the Dems, but his momentum is nowhere right now. I'd be interested in hearing more about Graham. I don't think Dean could win, which is too bad.

I don't know much about Edwards or Graham, but I'm liking what I've heard as far as Dean goes.

Originally posted by Diane L
I wish "liberal" wasn't such a dirty word in this country.

Yeah, that'd be nice.

Originally posted by Diane L
And although I'm still upset at Bubba for the whole Monica incident, Clinton is still the best president I've seen in my lifetime.

Exactly.

I certainly don't condone what he did-thought it was a stupid move on his part...but that's his personal life, that's none of my business, and what he does privately has no effect on how good a job he did as president.

I mean, look at J.F.K., that guy had tons of affairs, and he's still considered one of the best presidents this country's ever had the pleasure of having.

Angela

Well Bush has done much better in this poll than I thought he would. I did not think he would get 10 votes. He still has more friends in California than FYM.

ofcourse not
thumbsdown.gif

Amazing, Bush now has more than 20% of the vote in FYM!

Bush won the election based on the Electoral College which is the way all presidents in the USA are elected. I know all about the controversy that the Democrats talk about but there is something they fail to acknowledge. Thousands of Military personal overseas and elsewhere who pick Florida as their State never had their votes counted. Several of my friends are in that group.

Say all you want about the Electoral College, but Bush won the election based on the existing laws and constitution of the USA, which none of the people screaming about it now had a problem with prior to the election.

I may be a little late on this one, I apologize, but I wanted to respond to your post, Klaus

Klaus said:
swizzlestick:

Some CIA members told the press that the US government knew exactly that some of the "facts" which made Iraq to a imminent danger which were presented were wrong. Espeially The Uranium Fiction

Actually I think what he said was "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." In reading that, I can't even believe this is an issue. This statement is factual. If you read it, the President said "The British government" gathered these facts. It also says Hussein "sought" significant quanitities from Africa. I think people are not hearing/reading this whole quote and are jumping to the conclusion Bush lied.

Maybe there was no reliable evidence to support the particular intelligence report saying that Saddam had acquired yellowcake. But the British claim was only that Saddam had sought yellowcake...not that he succeeded in getting a five-pound box Fedexed to his palace. Is it possible that the British government was mistaken? Sure. Is it possible that the British gov. came by that belief based on an American intelligence report about a transaction between Iraq and Niger? Possibly. But Tony Blair and members of his Cabinet say that's not what happened. They have said "extra material, separate and independent from that of the US" is where they got their info.

Hopefully, everyone does know by now that Saddam Hussein did have a nuclear-weapons-development program. (Which was sey back once by Isreal in 1980, and once by the US in Desert Storm) And, let us not forget the Congress did vote and approve the President to use whatever force necessary to battle terrorism shortly after 9/11.

A little background on Joseph Wilson:

He was an outspoken opponent of U.S. military intervention in Iraq. He's an "adjunct scholar" at the Middle East Institute which advocates for Saudi interests. He's a strong opponent of the Bush administration which he once said "neoconservatives" have "a stranglehold on the foreign policy of the Republican Party." He said that "the new imperialists will not rest until governments that ape our world view are implanted throughout the region, a breathtakingly ambitious undertaking, smacking of hubris in the extreme." He was recently the keynote speaker for the Education for Peace in Iraq Center, a far-left group that opposed not only the U.S. military intervention in Iraq but also the sanctions and even the no-fly zones that protected hundreds of thousands of Iraqi Kurds and Shias from being slaughtered by Saddam.

Prior to the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Wilson did believe that Saddam had biological weapons of mass destruction. But he was afraid that if American troops were sent into Iraq, Saddam might "use a biological weapon in a battle that we might have. He also said that Saddam also might attempt to take revenge by unleashing "some sort of a biological assault on an American city, not unlike the anthrax, attacks that we had last year."

As far as his "investigation" goes, he was sent to Niger by the CIA to verify a U.S. intelligence report about the sale of yellowcake because Dick Cheney requested it and because Cheney had doubts about the validity of the intelligence report.

Wilson says he spent eight days in Niger "drinking sweet mint tea and meeting with dozens of people". That doesn't sound very James Bond 007esq to me or even an in-depth investigation. But for debate purposes, lets say he was correct when he reported he believed it was "highly doubtful that any such transaction ever took place. " Because it was "doubtful" that Saddam actually acquired yellowcake from Niger, it does not follow that he never sought it there or elsewhere in Africa, which is all the President suggested based on what the British said and still say.

To me, Wilson already had his mind made up before he ever stepped foot in Niger.

swizzlestick,

Good Post! Mr. Wilson's background is interesting on this.

Moonlit_Angel said:

I mean, look at J.F.K., that guy had tons of affairs, and he's still considered one of the best presidents this country's ever had the pleasure of having.

Angela

Angela,

This is due more to his death than anything else. He may very well have not been re-elected had he lived. Many of the things he did were great, but many African American leaders like Jackie Robinson in 1960 supported Nixon. They believed that Kennedy was playing them.

What has been lost, in the veil of Camelot, is the fact that JFK was a politician. He was an incredible politician. I have a tremendous amount of respect for that having spent much of my high school and college life studying his rise to the presidency, and his presidency.

Had it ever been publicized that he was removed from Naval Intelligence during his career with the Navy because he was having an affair with a suspected Nazi spy, the man may very well have not been President. His father's political connections helped provide him cover.

Had it ever been publicized that he cut a deal to remove American Missles from Turkey in exchange for the removal of Missles in Cuba, he would definietely have been a won term President. Part of the deal that he made with the USSR was that if this got out, then we would not remove the missles from Turkey. Instead, the American public was lead to believe that the US had stood up to the USSR though the blockade. A fallacy that is still promoted at the Kennedy Library today.

Kennedy was a great politicain, and I love studying him. Greatest President.....as I said, his death provides a tremendous amount of protection from challenging that claim. I prefer to admire how politically great he was.

Last edited:
Anyone else not vote yet? Almost to 60 votes here in fYM.

Back
Top Bottom