Poll finds broad approval of terrorist torture - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2005, 04:01 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:25 PM
I think it is skewed under the definitions, loud music, belly slaps and stress positions versus ripping out nails, hot pokers and breaking limbs.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think it is skewed under the definitions, loud music, belly slaps and stress positions versus ripping out nails, hot pokers and breaking limbs.

under Bush/Cheney, the second set of activities are perfectly acceptable as they do not cause organ failure.

what i find wonderfully ironic is that this came out in the Saddam Hussein trial on Monday. a woman who was tortured by Saddam's henchmen said the following:

[q]"They forced me to take off my clothes," said the woman, referred to only as Witness A by the court. "They kept my legs up. They handcuffed me and started beating me with cables. It wasn't just one guard, it was many guards." ...

"I agree that things in Abu Ghraib were, until recently, bad, but did they use dogs on you? Did they take photographs?" asked one defense attorney, attempting to raise the issue of U.S. prisoner abuse at the prison.

"No," she replied.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...home-headlines

[/q]

gee ... sounds so familiar ... the woman was not water-boarded, she was not put in stress positions, she was not put in a freezing room, she was not sexually abused, and she was not threatened by dogs. so, according to the WH, she did not come close to being tortured. she was just subjected to "coercive interrogation techniques." i wish she'd stop her whining!

Old 12-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 10:25 AM
I believe U2 sums up my thoughts on this fairly well: Don't become a monster, in order to destroy a monster.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:25 AM
it should also be noted that the gob-smacking endorsement of torture by Cheney and Co. is making us look even worse -- if such a thing is possible -- in the eyes of Europeans, you know, our allies. even in the UK. regard Condi's trip to Germany, now under new leadership, where she basically had to spend all her time defending through precise, obfuscating legal language, the policies of her administration. not the best way to be spending our time, is it?

but, hey, we don't need those limp-wristed Euro-Homos anyway. it doesn't matter that we're deepening the rift between the US and European democracies, *especially* their electorates.

after all, we've proven that American military might and know-how is enough to successfullly invade and occupy and rebuild a country in the heart of the middle east. we don't need cooperation and trust to battle Al-Qaeda cells across the globe.

Rummy can do it all with one testacle tied behind his back.